Help me explain - drivers hours question

One of our lads is a lovely polish chap - but he is convinced that he can do the following:-

midnight day one - start work - work till 5am - take 9 hours off and then drive another shift again !■■

how do u explain this to him - I have mentiond the split rest 3 hours followed by a nine -but he is adamant that he should be able to start to drive after he has had 9 hours off - now its probably all getting lost in translation - can anyone help with this too?

Jenson Button:
One of our lads is a lovely polish chap - but he is convinced that he can do the following:-

midnight day one - start work - work till 5am - take 9 hours off and then drive another shift again
He can, he is right you are wrong :smiley:

5 hours is a short shift for a Pole!! :laughing:

Yes, he can do that. Why wouldn’t he be able to do that?

I’m struggling to see where the split shift has come in here?

Is he wanting to do this everyday?

I’ve no idea what you’re getting at Jenson, honestly? 9hrs break is a reducer, you’re fine to do that 3 times per week

Is it your Polish friend your asking for? Or is it for yourself? This is your second thread on regs now! Keep it up and your going to out do Toby! :laughing:

These recent posts just go to show that tachograph rules are way too complicated for the common man. Even £400 an hour barristers will spend days arguing about their differing interpretations of the law, in week-long court cases.

It took me over 25 years to fully understand tachograph rules and it can’t be right to expect truck drivers to understand rules that even barristers and judges, with all of their education don’t understand.

Maybe it is me missing something then… so you can work for 5 hours (which would be a 4 and a half hour drive and 30 mins other work) take 9 hours off and then do another shift - so would you be able to drive for another 10 hours then in the same “24 hour shift”

and no it aint for me - but I obviously dont understand the rules

But Harry! Is it that difficult really? It’s confusing granted but a lot of these questions are here because someone gets in a muddle with regards the 24 hour day/night! :wink:

Yes this can be done, but I’m puzzled as to why he would want to run this way :question: Does it fit into the way you, as an employer, Plan your work :question: If it does then there doesn’t seem to be a problem, you/he just need’s to keep a closer check on daily, weekly & fortnightly working, driving, break & rest figures as it could become confusing :confused:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Jenson Button:
Maybe it is me missing something then… so you can work for 5 hours (which would be a 4 and a half hour drive and 30 mins other work) take 9 hours off and then do another shift - so would you be able to drive for another 10 hours then in the same “24 hour shift”

It’s not the same shift. The question you have to ask yourself at any time when you are at the wheel is “Have I taken at least 9 hours off during the last 24?”

And there would appear to be no time when your Polish friend’s answer would be “No”.

Jenson Button:

I don’t think it would be classed as the same ‘‘24 hour shift’’.

Thanks for this - I understand now why I was getting it wrong… so you can basically start work, do whatever and as long as you have your 9 hours off (if your on a reducer) you can start work again

ie midnight to 5AM (4.5 hours driving and 30 mins other work) - 9 hours off - commence shift 1500hrs drive/work till midnight - go to rest

Two more questions then - would this use up 2 of his daily driving periods and the soonest time he can start after the finish at 5am is (9 hours later) - but if he had a split break at the 5am point - he would only have been in the same “shift” and therefor only able to drive another 4 and a half hours?
but able to do another 7 hours duty

and yes I am totally bloody confused…

Ijenson! In your scenario at the top! Your mate finishes at 5am has 9 hours daily rest and starts a new shift at 2pm! So his next 24 hour day is till 2pm the following day! Unless he works another 5 hour shift of course with another daily rest with a 9 hour daily rest! Then he would start a new 24 hour shift 4am! And so on! :slight_smile:

OK, well firstly there is no “split break” involved. This generally only refers to a day where you sit around for 3+ hours with your tachograph set to “rest”. If you have done this then you can have 9 hours off at the end of the shift and it will count as a non-reduced rest period (I told you it was confusing :wink:)

And yes, if he started at midnight, stopped at 5.a.m. and then started again, then at the end of that new shift he would have completed two of the six cards available to him before needing to take a weekly rest period.

i thught you could use as many cards as you like as long as you have your daily rest periods in between

truckerone:
i thught you could use as many cards as you like as long as you have your daily rest periods in between

Yes, you can, I was referring to “virtual” cards.

I know what I mean, I’m just not sure that I can explain it properly…

Cheers H

Many of my mis-understandings come from the “ittle bit of knowldge is dangerours”… If I had not done the DCPC I would not have even thought to argue about this stuff… but whatever anyone says 7 hours listening to stuff in a classroom is not the best way of getting these rules across.

And it is bloody confusing !

I always did think that your start time on day one almost set your precident for the rest of the week… but now i know that to be a load of of ollocks too.

so if i start work at 0330 hours monday to run down to Boune… back load out and be back in the Mids and tipped for 1400 hours - i can then start work at 11pm off the back of a 9 hour reducer.

And if i started work at 0600 hours on locals to coventry and worked till 1700 hours - and took a reduced break I can be back working at 0200 hours? so a day on locals and then still get to Bourne the next day to meet the 7.30 time slot ?

Jenson Button:
Two more questions then - would this use up 2 of his daily driving periods and the soonest time he can start after the finish at 5am is (9 hours later) - but if he had a split break at the 5am point - he would only have been in the same “shift” and therefor only able to drive another 4 and a half hours?
but able to do another 7 hours duty

Daily driving periods are no longer relevant as the limit is now six consecutive periods of 24 hours.
As said, there is no written limit to the number of “daily driving periods” that can be fitted into the six periods of 24 hours.

There is no reason why more than 10 hours driving cannot be completed inside a 24 hour period.
Your “polish friend” could legally do this

0001-0500…4.5 hours driving (+30 mins other work.)
0500-1400…9 hours daily rest period.
1400-1830…4.5 hours driving
1830-1915…break
1915-2345…4.5 hours driving

As you can see, 13.5 hours driving in 24 hours and perfectly legal.
All of this could be recorded on one (analogue) tachograph card.

Regards,
Nick.

The Red Arrows have just done a fly past !

Feeling thick or what… I still dont get it