Help and advice needed. HGV license

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any help or input you give.

I am 21 and have been working in a warehouse environment for a year now and gained the relevant FLT licenses.

Recently I have been looking into going for my HGV license, and so far from just reading articles within this site its been a great help. I have obviously done the obvious “HGV traning” in google and have received tons of info from companies such as Clearstone and Pathway. But are they really what they say they are?

As others have mentioned It seems that they are very keen to get your money ASAP!!

I live in the Northampton area and am wanting to get my training done and completed within the next 6 months. What companies would anyone recommend? Also what is the total reasonable cost for getting my C+E license?
I have contacted DVLA and have been sent my provisonal forms, and have got the medical form of the web.

Can anyones explain the best steps to take next?

I sorry if Im babbling on a bit, but would really appreciate anyones input. :blush:

Cheers All.

Hi mate, from what ive heard i think that places like clearstone and pathway are best avoided, and that a smaller independant driving school is best. someone on here may have a better idea of decent ones near to where you live, it depends how far you want to travel though. I think that with your age you may not have 7.5t on your license automatically so you may have to take 7.5t, class 2 and then class 1, but i think you only have to do 1 theory test for all of them, i did class 2 in 1999 and im taking class 1 this week but i havent had to redo the theory. if you do need to take all 3 tests then reallistically its going to cost £2 - 2500 for the lot.
Once you find a driving school you’re happy with they will arrrange the theory, etc for you but you will need to arrange a medical yourself, shop around for this as it can be very expensive

It seems like a lot of hassle at first but once all the paperwork’s out of the way and you get onto the driving part its a great feeling and well worth it once you’ve passed :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Best bet is just to flick through the yellow pages and give the companies a ring, and go see the ones that appeal to you, have a look at the trucks, see if you like the instructor etc and then maybe do a search on here with any company names you’re considering. Bound to be someone who’s used them before.

As for being 21 and not having C1 (7.5t) on your licence, it doesn’t matter, you just go straight for the Category C (Class 2) you don’t have to do 7.5 first.

Cheers to you both for your input.

You’re right in that I don’t have 7.5t on my license. I havent heard before that I would need to get this, but realistically would it be worthwhile. I have only been driving a car for a year but would say that I am a confident driver, but as I have no experience of HGV I really dont know what to expect.

In terms of how far I would be prepared to travel I suppose that around 1hour would be my limit, but it all depends on the company, if they were reasonable priced and had good reviews I would travel the extra bit.

The medical I heard can be expensive. Is it just a case of getting a dotor to sign the necessay paperwork?? I will definatly ring around for this as Ive heard the prices can differ.

How long does a theory pass last for? Is it 2 years like with a car? I am thinking of getting my medial, provisonal license and theory out of the way first.

Thanks again for any help anyone can give.

Theory lasts 2 years, your medical can be done for £15-30, I know of a couple in the west mids that charge that, most family GPs charge anything from £100-150. Best bet is to ask the training firms you ring if they can recommend a cheap one.

There’s no need to do your 7.5t C1 licence. I’m 23 and didn’t have the category on my car licence either but just went straight for Full C Rigid, only driven Sprinters before that and it doesn’t take very long to get used to the size. It’d be a waste of money training for C1 then doing C as they’re virtually the same but a C licence gives you C1 entitlement along with it obviously so just no point in C1 unless your under 21 and therfore not allowed to do C.

C1 = 7.5t
C = Any Rigid
C+E = Any Artic/Drawbar

Cheers Kiowan!

I think I might get the theory part out of the way within the next few weeks. Realistically it looks like it will be new year when i look to take the practical training as I wont be able to get time off work until then.

May seem like a daft question, but does the medical expire after a specific time??

Welcome sebgsmith :smiley:
Try this for some pre training tips trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23857
ANOTHER NEWBIE wrote: “Can anybody explain the process over the forum as to what I have to do to start with so I can tick off on paper?”

LGV C (Rigid) formally Class 2:
Anyone who passes their car driving test and wants to drive a large goods vehicle will need additional training to be brought to the DSA standard. The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

Requirements:
Stage 1
Have a medical to prove you are physically fit to drive a Large Goods Vehicle using
Form D4 of the pack (obtainable from various driving schools). Please contact you’re GP or www.driversmedicals.com who can provide low-cost medical examinations.
Stage 2
Obtain your provisional licence. Having completed forms D2 & D4 send with your licence to the DVLA in the enclosed envelope, I recommended that you send it record/registered delivery. Your licence with provisional entitlement will normally be returned within 2 to 4 weeks.
Stage 3
Pass the theory test. This is carried out at local test centres and made up of two parts; Part 1 is multiple choice, 60 questions and Part 2 is hazard perception, 14 video clips.
Stage 4
Book your training course with LGV Training School. Once you have passed your theory.

Test Criteria:
Answer approximately 5 questions on basic vehicle checks.
Reverse into a marked bay.
Controlled brake test.
Drive for approximately 1 hour around the town. Test may also include hill starts and motorway driving.

Order a D2 Form (MARK FORM FOR C NOT C1)
forms.dvla.gov.uk/forms/ordering_forms_dg.htm
Fill the form and a D2 form will be send to in the post
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 020731.pdf Please print and take to your GP if you have the facilities at home or work

Theory - get book /CD rom + HPT (Hazard Perception Test) again, you can get CD rom to practice. Best idea - get in touch with LGV school and, for a fee, they will train you and may have cheap medical.
Read posts on this site before booking any LGV school course - if in a certain area ask about a school near you on here. It may be worth you considering a B&B elsewhere in UK to do a course.
The driver CPC is not the same as the other CPCs.
Digital tachos are usually required by agencies if you work for them but you are responsible for getting one. If you work for a non-agency they might be nice and pay for it but don’t hold your breath!
For some idea of cost try trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

:smiley:

sebgsmith:
May seem like a daft question, but does the medical expire after a specific time??

If you pass the medical you won’t need another one until you’re 45 regardless of when / whether you take the practical test.

As has been mentioned before, you don’t have to do 7.5ton first. Catagory C1 (7.5ton) is a sub catagory, you can go straight to catagory C

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23685

try lookin here for medicals

do you have the theory book £14.99 hazard perception cd rom ( dosnt work on a apple mac )

the truckers hand book could be useful at £12.99

also this link for the GV262 on drivers hr

www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/manua … guides.htm

you can download it as a pdf file or pick 1 up free of charge address is at the bottom

Is it just a case of getting a dotor to sign the necessay paperwork??

No,it is a full medical,Eyesight,hearing blood pressure,sugar test,mobility,the works.(You don’t have to do the coughing bit these days!)The quack has to fill in the paperwork as he does each test.
As has been said,private practices now charge anything over the £100-00 mark,but a good driving school should know someone who does it for a realistic price.In this area,we have one at £30-00 and another charges £38-00.I went to the £30-00 guy and it was the full monte,no short cuts.

There was a 6 week waiting list for the drivers medical place’s near me so i went to my GP,

Cost me 97 quid.

ouch!

for medicals try

www.driversmedicals.com

you will need to take form D4 with you to be filled in

not sure if you will have to do the theroy again as ihave never done it