Hello new one here.

Hi my name is Saxon

I am beginning my application for LGV training. I nearly went with EasyasHGV but after reading this site decided against it. I am awaiting a Carrer Development Loan application form from the Government and then I will be applying to train with NTS in Norwich as they have been recommended by several people I know. Mind you I still have my medical and theory to do.

Once I have passed I will be sending out as many CV’s as I can and hopefully it wont take too long to get a job so I can rescue myself from working in the chip shop.

One question I do have is, should I just get my Cat C for now or should I go on to do the C+E as well? I’m 22 if that helps at all.

I have previously driven 18 foot transit vans so I’m already familiar with loosing the rear view mirror and the joy of blind spots, though i’m sure there’s still a few suprises awaiting me on my journey.

I have found some very useful information on here so thank you for this site.

Oh and I have also just been fined 3 points for speeding, is that likely to affect my getting work?

Hi The Saxmachine,

ROG will be along soon to give you all the tips you need. :smiley:

I wouldn’t have thought that three points for speeding would trouble you too greatly, provided that it was a minor speeding offence, but please make sure that you don’t get any more points, cos then the points might start to affect your employability. :wink:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome The Saxmachine :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

The Saxmachine:
should I just get my Cat C for now or should I go on to do the C+E

Passing CE will usually open up more options as many newbies on here have found out :smiley:

The Saxmachine:
just been fined 3 points for speeding, is that likely to affect my getting work?

Nope :slight_smile:

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature at the bottom of this post. The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.
Official DSA videos of modules 1, 2, 3 & 4

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips
First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

dieseldave:

Is that quick enough ? :wink: :laughing:

EDIT - PS you only beat me because my post took longer to do - that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it !!

Welcome :slight_smile:

Personnally I’d say do the CE as soon after the C as you can. As said it gives you more chances and there’s no advantage in delaying.

ROG:

dieseldave:

Is that quick enough ? :wink: :laughing:

Yes ROG, but I still beat you to this one. :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:

Wow that’s a few fast replies. Thanks.

It was for doing 50 in a 40, my first offence and since then I’ve been much more careful because I don’t want to loose another £60.

Ok then I’ll get the development loan to cover the C+E as well then.

I am aware that jobs are short, but is the industry showing any signs of picking up yet? (plus every industry is saturated with people looking for jobs so I have to pick something right!)

The Saxmachine:
It was for doing 50 in a 40, my first offence and since then I’ve been much more careful because I don’t want to loose another £60.
Learning by experience and then not making the same error again - looking good for you :smiley:

Ok then I’ll get the development loan to cover the C+E as well then.
If you can get a loan at favourable rates then good - I don’t know how those development loans work in terms of paying them back so I cannot really comment

I am aware that jobs are short, but is the industry showing any signs of picking up yet? (plus every industry is saturated with people looking for jobs so I have to pick something right!)
You might as well choose something that you want to do if the situations are the same

Welcome saxmachine
You will find this site very informative and entertaining at times too :wink: jx

Jennie:
Welcome saxmachine
You will find this site very informative and entertaining at times too :wink: jx

We try our best. :sunglasses:

the other prob you have is age as most wont take you on until you are 25 this is the insurance comp

The last musician on here who worked in a chip shop was Elvis

He became a Truck Driver too, so you are almost there! :wink:

hello welcome i personally did mine in sucession so it was both fresh and i passed both first time

animal:
the other prob you have is age as most wont take you on until you are 25 this is the insurance comp

Well it’s worth a shot

Wheel Nut:
The last musician on here who worked in a chip shop was Elvis

He became a Truck Driver too, so you are almost there! :wink:

Well I’ve had a lot of fun with the band playing heavy metal on my bass, but I’ve started weighing up what I want to do and what I need to do and I’ve realised I’m not all that passionate about playing music any more. That has helped me sort out going for a realistic career.

What’s Australian trucking like? I’m going over hopefully next year for my Aunite’s 60th and if I like it I’m already considering moving there in a few years. I told my Auntie today about getting the LGV license and she said “oh come over here and work in the mines”!

I know the feeling. I was a DJ and producer for 6 years before i came into trucking. There comes a point in life where you have to make decisions that you dont want to make.

Good luck with everything, you’ll love it :wink:

Thank you very much C-Kay.

I have my medical exam booked with my local medical centre for next week. So there’s my first step. I’m waiting on getting my license back from the police so I can send off for the provisional entitlement. How long is the medical and the provisional valid for?

The Saxmachine:
How long is the medical and the provisional valid for?

The medical, in your case, is valid until age 45 - only about 23 years til the next one !!

The provisional is valid for as long as you have a valid medical

Theory tests are valid for 2 years

Thanks Rog.

Yay got my career development loan application through. Now I need to have a good read and send off for the loan.

It’s probably worth making other future drivers aware of it for sorting out funding for the training. Especially as it’s about £2500 to get to Cat C+E.

I’ve been watching stuff on Ice Road truckers and road trains. Makes me wonder what challenges there are on britains roads…except old people and caravans.

Passed my Medical no problems. However the Dr said it’s only valid for four months and I would need to pass my test within those four months or I’d have to redo the medical. I thought the Medical was valid till age 45. Can any ne help me out with this?

Also, why are there medical questions in the drivers theory test? It has nothing to do with driving.

The medical by the way if any body wants to add it the list of medicals was conducted at Examinair, Norwich Airport, 07515409885 at £65 including VAT.