Hello I am a bit of an odd ball here

hi guys, well i own a lot of trucks but they are all mostly toys…i collect ex military stuff, zils, urals, star, stalwart, 432 (tracked APC) gaz 69 jeep thingy but trucks are my passion…

I have loads of questions and here are a few…

1, I want to buy a rig like this 8 x 8 or 8 x 6 or 8 x 4 to carry a load up to 20 tons…plus i also want to use it to tow a trailer. When i am towing the trailer I will have a cargo (two trucks weighing around 12 tons maximum each…how can I do this, both vehicles will,be about 21 foot long…note I will only carry the higher 20 ton load when i am not towing the trailer…
2. What the heck do i register myself as…it will be for shows/off road events etc…only and only for my toys…I understand tachos just done the course, i have my hgv C and am doing my C1+e in november…but what do i register the truck as…private HGV…?
3. If I run this truck back and forth to europe picking up ex military warsaw pact vehicles…what are the maximum heights and weights i can carry…are they different to the UK…
4. Any ideas on the bes truck to do this…am assuming i need arounf 350-450 bhp…will this be enough…

I would ideally like to get a foden 8x8, but they are like hens teeth…so maybe a 8x4 but will it be too long with a drawbar trailer…I know the maximum is 18.something metres but can it be done…

anyway I am in Hampshire and surrey and do a bit of farming along with a bit of telecoms along with playing with my trucks.

Finally i am interested in a couple of old foden ballast trucks…what were they used for, just to tow large loads…are spares readily avialable and would an eagle 350 pull a 20 tone trailer combo, or maybe even a 50/60 ton trailer…ie the ballast truck will be around 20 tons…this is just in case i get myself a tank to play with, this will be around 50 tons…there is an s21 and an s41 on ebay i am very tempted to buy one of them…

okay sorry for the long message…i am a driver but not a professional one…can you guys give me a few pointers…

no idea mate but can play out with you and your toys?

paulob1:
hi guys, well i own a lot of trucks but they are all mostly toys…i collect ex military stuff, zils, urals, star, stalwart, 432 (tracked APC) gaz 69 jeep thingy but trucks are my passion…

Sounds fun. I have always fancied a Tatra 813…

paulob1:
1, I want to buy a rig like this 8 x 8 or 8 x 6 or 8 x 4 to carry a load up to 20 tons…plus i also want to use it to tow a trailer. When i am towing the trailer I will have a cargo (two trucks weighing around 12 tons maximum each…how can I do this, both vehicles will,be about 21 foot long…note I will only carry the higher 20 ton load when i am not towing the trailer…

When you say “both vehicles will be 21 foot long” do you mean in total, or 21’ each? If you’re wanting to tow a trailer that will take 42’ of kit behind something with enough bulk to have a 20ton payload of its own then I’m pretty sure you’ll end up too long. Could you not have it so that one vehicle will go on the back of the truck and one on a trailer? That would be much more feasible.

paulob1:
i have my hgv C and am doing my C1+e in november

Do you mean C1+E or C+E? You’re wasting your time doing C1+E as that’s only vehicles up to 7500kg MGW with a trailer. You want C+E to be able to drive the big stuff.

paulob1:
3. If I run this truck back and forth to europe picking up ex military warsaw pact vehicles…what are the maximum heights and weights i can carry…are they different to the UK…

I think the weights are the same but one thing to bear in mind is that much of Europe has a 4 metre maximum overall height requirement. I’m no expert on this though, so someone else will hopefully come with better information.

Paul

Mmm, can I join the queue of new best friends? :laughing:

I reckon what you need is a wagon and drag / drawbar outfit. For example a rigid with a trailer this would give you the capability to carry two vehicles of 12t each and each one 6 odd metres long no problem. The problem is going to be your weight with an outfit like this for carrying 20t. An 8x4 tipper will carry approx 20t but an 8x4 beavertail with a heavy duty plant body probably aint gonna. ex military 8x6 and 8x8 are going to be heavier still.

The other issue to consider is height, an average truck is around 11’ high and your average beavertail rigid is going to have a platform height of 3’6" that’s 14’6" and over your continental 4m. Those sort of figures are fo using commercial gear to carry commercial equipment, ex military stuff is going to be a lot higher.

Witham SV have got some DROPS vehicles available, might be worth a look at £10k a go and barely run in.

The spec reckons you’ve a payload of 15t but that’s not including a flat rack, you’d carry the 12t vehicle OK but you’d need to check the height. Even if you put a triaxle drawbar behind you’d still be unlikely to get a 20t load on with the wagon empty. You’d have to either get the ballast and a trailer or a conventional lowloader for it.

But I know a experienced driver at this sort of thing if you need one. :laughing: :laughing:

How about something like this? or would you fancy a nice Scammell Crusader?

I am not fully au fait with showmans regs but they seem to get away with pulling some big tackle behind behemoths like that, possibly using 2 trailers.

Try these:
leavesley.com

Based near Lichfield on the A38, loads of ex army stuff in there.

Can’t help but i’m sure you will get a lot more replies and advice at the weekend when everyone’s home.

I want one of these - I wouldn’t mind a go in the Kamaz as well :wink: :wink: :wink:

Look into getting the prime mover registered as a “Road Locomotive” Gets you around a lot of the regs plus you can tow two trailers :smiley: Excellent fun!! You would need to make your self aware of the rules though.

8wheels:
Mmm, can I join the queue of new best friends? :laughing:

I reckon what you need is a wagon and drag / drawbar outfit. For example a rigid with a trailer this would give you the capability to carry two vehicles of 12t each and each one 6 odd metres long no problem. The problem is going to be your weight with an outfit like this for carrying 20t. An 8x4 tipper will carry approx 20t but an 8x4 beavertail with a heavy duty plant body probably aint gonna. ex military 8x6 and 8x8 are going to be heavier still.

The other issue to consider is height, an average truck is around 11’ high and your average beavertail rigid is going to have a platform height of 3’6" that’s 14’6" and over your continental 4m. Those sort of figures are fo using commercial gear to carry commercial equipment, ex military stuff is going to be a lot higher.

Witham SV have got some DROPS vehicles available, might be worth a look at £10k a go and barely run in.

The spec reckons you’ve a payload of 15t but that’s not including a flat rack, you’d carry the 12t vehicle OK but you’d need to check the height. Even if you put a triaxle drawbar behind you’d still be unlikely to get a 20t load on with the wagon empty. You’d have to either get the ballast and a trailer or a conventional lowloader for it.

But I know a experienced driver at this sort of thing if you need one. :laughing: :laughing:

I think the drawbar route is the right way…but what i cant work out is what is the maximum length i can be with say an 8 wheeler hauling a trailer, on the 8 wheeler will be say a ural 4320…about 7.35m long and then a trailer with the same length vehicle on the back…would this work…weight wise they will only be 11 tons each…height is an issue so i want the trailer and the 8 wheeler to be as low as possible…but i can lose at least 8 inches by letting the tyres down or another 8 inches by taking off the wheels…that would be a pain…they will normally be about 2.5m-2.8m high, so as long as the truck bed is only 1m I should be able to stay under the height regs in europe…

oh and sorry yes i am taking my C+E…DID MY C with big wheelers in reading but they have gone now…

Am off to hungary and czech republic and possibly ukraine and Belarus to look at a few more trucks, got my eye on a few recovery trucks a T55 arv and a BRDM and BTR 60…the last one is too long i SUSPECTAT 7.6 M TO GET TWO AT A TIME WE WILL HAVE TO LOW LOAD THEM AND DO A BIT OF JUGGLING…

Your max length for a rigid vehicle is 12m, your max combination length (for rigid & trailer ) is 18.75m but you can have a 12m rigid with a 6m trailer or 6m rigid with 12m trailer or any combo of the above.

A DROPS vehicle is just over 9m long giving you another 9m of road for a trailer to take up. That’d be the right sort of length but the height is deffo going to be an issue. You could tow a smaller wheeled drawbar trailer behind though on 17.5inch wheels which would be lowloader height.

I’d email Witham’s and see what they coulod suggest for you, they’ll surely come up with something if they think they might get a sale. If nothing else it’s an idea from someone else who has got the relevant expereince in this sort of kit.

Best of luck.

paulob1:
oh and sorry yes i am taking my C+E…DID MY C with big wheelers in reading but they have gone now…

Really :open_mouth:
I thought about doing mine with them :open_mouth:

You’ll need to check this but it seems:

Road tax: special vehicle (encompasses previous classes such as crane, pump, showman’s, etc). Reasonable cost.

MIght have to fit an onboard generator to get into this class.

Get this: max length 84’ 2 trailers possible.

I suspect this taxation class may also exempt you from tachograph regs whereas “private” tax for a vehicle of this weight no longer will.

An interesting project indeed, please keep us informed of your progress… with pics! :smiley:

okay will do, blew up the engine on my stalwart last week, thats a big job, and a real pain…but still will get it sorted, need a full time mechanic really…anyone know of some one with mechanical skills who can drive a truck, a tractor a crane and other toys along with help with a bit of installation work and farming work (only for fun at the moment i am building a new herd and just looking to get into more farming) a bit of tree clearance and a lot more besides…let me know…

how do i post piccies guys…cant seem top do it, a lot of muy filesa re too big but normally can get some to post, had no luck here yet…any tips please…

paulob1:
okay will do, blew up the engine on my stalwart last week, thats a big job, and a real pain…but still will get it sorted, need a full time mechanic really…anyone know of some one with mechanical skills who can drive a truck, a tractor a crane and other toys along with help with a bit of installation work and farming work (only for fun at the moment i am building a new herd and just looking to get into more farming) a bit of tree clearance and a lot more besides…let me know…

eeh, if only i were 30 again & looking to stay in England.

If you are seriously looking for a full time man… and it sounds like you need one, many HGV fitters have a license & some would probably jump at the chance of something with so much variety rather than being stuck in a workshop every day.

Don’t think you can post pics directly to here. You have to upload them to a storage site such as photobucket or image shack, then link to them there.

register.photobucket.com/

You have to upload your photos to a hosting site and post the links to those stored photos in your post.

I am very serious about wanting a mechanic and driver and general helping hand. we have around 15 people on site at the moment but non are overly mechanical and i have a lot of working and fun machines so i really do need some one,…will post in the local papers i guess…

guildford area buy the way if anyone knows anyone looking for something

okay if you want to take a look at some of my toys go look at www.photobucket.com/paulobrienbigmachinesforsale

paulob1:
I am very serious about wanting a mechanic and driver and general helping hand. we have around 15 people on site at the moment but non are overly mechanical and i have a lot of working and fun machines so i really do need some one,…will post in the local papers i guess…

guildford area buy the way if anyone knows anyone looking for something

email sent