Height problem in germany

can you help im going from dunkerque to brno via germany running at 4.32mts or 14ft3ins

i thought all trailers had to be around 13’6 to go into europe,shows what i know :blush:

darren23:
can you help im going from dunkerque to brno via germany running at 4.32mts or 14ft3ins

Hi darren23,

I’ve moved your post to where I think it will receive more views and comments from those in the know on such matters.

All I can say is that in common with many other European countries, Germany has a height limit of 4mtrs and the police are very strict about it.

A quick ‘google’ got me this downloadable .pdf for you to read:

:arrow_right: http://www.internationaltransportforum.org/IntOrg/road/pdf/dimensions.pdf

You’ll be OK from Dunkirk to the Belgian border, then you’re rolling the dice for the rest of the journey (and back.) :open_mouth:

We run Germany and we take 4mtr trailers anything higher and i think you are asking for trouble.

A lot of the bridges are 4 meters so not good if higher.

can any one suggest a better route

I used to do Germany with a 4.2mtr trailer regularly few years back just had to be very aware at all times. 4.3mtr pushing it even for me but I’d get a tape measure and see with ur own eyes where she sitting. And if u have a lift axle keep it down even when empty, u lift ur axle an ur make ur trailer higher.

€3000 for only 4cm overheight, better ask your gaffer to raise the limit on your credit card :smiley:

darren23:

Naughty, If they nick you it will cost you a fortune .
4M max…not a cm over. Surely your boss knows the rules ?

darren23:
can any one suggest a better route

Darren,

I’d suggest a different trailer… honestly mate, it’s not the route that’s the problem. :wink:

i’ve got an idea,turn the ■■■■■■■ round and go home,probably be a cheaper week :smiley:

Or avoid Germany completely…

just do what you want and when you get stuck at a bridge and they say owt just say “who won the [zb] war”

can any one suggest a route from dover to brno with trailer height of 4.32mts or 14ft 3ins please

hmmmmmmmmmm deja vu

It was the war that made these roads and the height limits!
The people’s car and the better roads to get boom boom bullets etc across Germany so yeah blame hitler for low bridges

darren23:
can any one suggest a route from dover to brno with trailer height of 4.32mts or 14ft 3ins please

Darren,

If you click the link I gave you earlier, you’ll see that you’re quite possibly going to have trouble with the police in several countries.

I can’t think of a route that will get you from Dover to Brno legally with a trailer of 4.32mtrs height, unless you qualify for some kind of exemption permits due to the nature of the load.

Or try the back roads as the.B.A.G tend to hide out on the toll roads.

This thread cracks me up! The irony of it. I am of course assuming that the front of the trailer will have

OVERALL HEIGHT 14’ 3" 4.32M (BASED ON A 1250mm 5th WHEEL)

plastered across the front of it.

The very thing that some clown in a suit thought was neccessary to save someone from themselves, is actually going to hang them nicely.

I wouldn’t even consider it mate, after all you’re going to be the one that makes the nice lady on Antenne 2 say “vier kilometer stau” when you clout a bridge… Running out of fuel is illegal on the autobahn, imagine the fallout after knowingly taking an overheight vehicle into Germany?

darren23:

You’d be ok with a chinook as a tractor unit, otherwise forget it.
In Germany they don’t even bother signing bridges of higher than 4.0m, so you’ll never have any idea what height a bridge is, or whether you’ll get under it. Most motorway bridges have plenty of clearance for a 4.0m trailer, but not many have 0.32m clearance.
Basically, once you reach the French border and try to get into Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, you are stuffed.

Your boss is going to have to bite the bullet and spend some money unless you can get a free loan of the right kind of trailer. You’ll need a 4.0m height box, Euroliner or stepframe, or pay someone else to take it.

Why do you need to run overheight?

If it is because your firm don’t have any appropriate trailers, then get one hired.

If it is because it is going to be stuffed up to the roof, then be aware that the German police use what they call Gewinnabschöpfung when calculating the fine which will be levied even if you don’t clout a bridge.

Gewinnabschöpfung basically translates as the skimming of any profits gained from an illegal operation.

They will calculate the extra profit your firm stands to make from the point of origin to destination by using an overheight trailer to move more goods and use that to determine the fine to be levied.

This will run into THOUSANDS of Euros.

And the truck will be impounded until the stuff can be transshipped onto another (or more likely 2) trailer(s). Then the empty trailer will still not be allowed to move because it is still overheight.

And you WILL stick out like a sore thumb with a 4.32 trailer whilst all around are running at 4.00

Inform thy gaffer thus :wink: