"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Ray Smyth:

Spardo:
Strewth, that tram looks roped on with a couple of dollies to that little Elliot’s trailer. Can’t see any other restraint, wonder how long it stayed in place, or did they go ever so ever so slowly. :laughing:

That tram looks like one of many ex Liverpool Corporation trams that were sold to Glasgow in the mid 1950s,
and operated there until about 1960. I hope the Scammell driver put a Double Hitch in his roping schedule. :slight_smile:

Ray.

Here it is after delivery to Liverpool

Dennis, Thank you for the picture of the tram, back in Liverpool . I am fairly certain
that this picture attached is the same tram, 869, seen at The Tram Museum at Birkenhead
several years ago.

Cheers, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

Spardo:
Strewth, that tram looks roped on with a couple of dollies to that little Elliot’s trailer. Can’t see any other restraint, wonder how long it stayed in place, or did they go ever so ever so slowly. :laughing:

That tram looks like one of many ex Liverpool Corporation trams that were sold to Glasgow in the mid 1950s,
and operated there until about 1960. I hope the Scammell driver put a Double Hitch in his roping schedule. :slight_smile:

Ray.

Can you imagine going up Shap and suddenly seeing in your mirrors that the tram has decided to stay in England?

Refresh my memory Ray, were those, maybe all, trams double ended? In other words did not need turning round, certainly looks like it from the dellivery picture.

Spardo:

It’s an odd way to secure it too. Surely it’s chained at the chassis and the ropes are secondary.

Spardo:

Ray Smyth:

Spardo:

Ray.

Can you imagine going up Shap and suddenly seeing in your mirrors that the tram has decided to stay in England?

Refresh my memory Ray, were those, maybe all, trams double ended? In other words did not need turning round, certainly looks like it from the dellivery picture.

Yes David, All of the Liverpool Corporation trams from the 1930s onward were double ended, because most of the
tram terminus`s ( Termini ) ?, were a dead end with buffer stops. One of the tram routes was from the city centre
of Liverpool through to the town of Prescot on the A57. On this same route was a traffic roundabout at Page Moss
in the Huyton area, the trams that were going to Longview or Prescot went around the roundabout as normal.
From memory, I seem to recall the roundabout where Lower Lane met with the A580, East Lancashire Road, the
tramlines went through the centre of the roundabout. I remember one of the old tram drivers telling me that if
he was on the Liverpool to Prescot route, and if he had a leaky windscreen, once he arrived at Page Moss roundabout,
he would go all the way around the roundabout, now facing Liverpool, the conductor would swing the trolley pole
to the rear, and the driver continued on his way to Prescot. His only problem was that the terminus at Prescot town
centre meant he had to head back as far as Page Moss, driving at the leaky window end.

Ray.

Great story Ray, :smiley: , I am not a fan of trams, never could see the point when trolleybuses were more flexible so haven’t much info on the subject and, the years long disruption to my old town, Beeston, Nottingham has only confirmed that view. But I haven’t had the chance yet to check the finished article out. We were looking forward to it when over there a few years ago for our grandson’s wedding, but were deprived of the chance by being selected to have a door to door limousine. :laughing:

Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer

309304384_1273173756828532_2396511234197791295_n.jpg

Oh! first off I had to check that the BTS Atki and trailer were tucked up safe and sound in their air conditioned corner of the workshop ! They were ! :wink:
P1080628.JPG
OK where do we begin ?

A 70 ft load of structural steel awaiting delivery to an HST site on Monday !
A couple of JD’s “bread and butter traffic” from Hull into Wales.

P1080618.JPG

P1080610.JPG
Destination Scotland on Sunday in the capable hands of senior MAP Driver Lee Wiseley a.k.a. “Wizza” who was reloading for Birmingham ex Teesside on Monday afternoon !

P1080619.JPG
Just a small section of the the varied traffic hauled by the impressive MAP Heavy Haul fleet :smiley: Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Oh! first off I had to check that the BTS Atki and trailer were tucked up safe and sound in their air conditioned corner of the workshop ! They were ! :wink:
OK where do we begin ?

A 70 ft load of structural steel awaiting delivery to an HST site on Monday !
A couple of JD’s “bread and butter traffic” from Hull into Wales.

Destination Scotland on Sunday in the capable hands of senior MAP Driver Lee Wiseley a.k.a. “Wizza” who was reloading for Birmingham ex Teesside on Monday afternoon !

Just a small section of the the varied traffic hauled by the impressive MAP Heavy Haul fleet :smiley: Cheers Bewick.

The BTS Atki in action (snapped by me at Gaydon):

Buzzer

P1080650.JPG
The old and the very new parked at the Hollies charity truck show last Sunday where I understand over £ 2000 was raised for the Birmingham Children’s Hospital well done ! Anyway it must be getting on for 50 years since I was last at the Hollies on an Atki Borderer but the cafe and parking area was much smaller than it is today. Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
The old and the very new parked at the Hollies charity truck show last Sunday where I understand over £ 2000 was raised for the Birmingham Children’s Hospital well done ! Anyway it must be getting on for 50 years since I was last at the Hollies on an Atki Borderer but the cafe and parking area was much smaller than it is today. Cheers Bewick.

Looks superb Bewick! The Hollies was a favourite haunt of mine when I had chance.

Kempston:

Bewick:

Looks superb Bewick! The Hollies was a favourite haunt of mine when I had chance.

Lincoln Farm was our main change over point in the 70’s ! Bewick.

P1080419.JPG

P1080427.JPG

Buzzer

Bit of a weight difference on these two shots the Dozer weighs in at 24ton but the Excavator is about 70 ton !

Bewick:
Bit of a weight difference on these two shots the Dozer weighs in at 24ton but the Excavator is about 70 ton !

I’m amazed at how light the new dozers are Dennis,I used to shift CAT D9’s around the country,with blade and Kelly ripper weighing in at approx 52 tons,big difference,although I do appreciate that the dozer you have shown is not as physically large as a D9.

Take care,

David