"Heavy Haulage through the years"

Hiya David hope you are keeping well ? We’ve just had our Covid booster today and no after effects at the moment as one or two of our friends have had sore arms !
Anyway I suppose that all Dozers are "horses for courses " but just to regale you with my memory from 1968 when John Laing started on the toughest length of the M6 between J 37 and J39 all their gear was brand new and I started with my first motor a Trader tipper hauling stone from Kendal up to Killington and Tebay well I got friendly with a D8 driver who was spreading the stone for the Haul roads that were going in and on the odd occasion at brew time he used to invite into the cab for a brew as all the Dozers had electric kettles which had been supplied from new !!! but he also showed me how these CAT D8’s could work pushing the stone level etc. Never forget those times up in the Lune Gorge but within 6 months I had “baled out” and got my first “A” licence sold the Trader and bought the new D1000 far too tough a job for me knocking 7 bells out of the little Trader ! :frowning: All the best Dennis.

Bewick:
Hiya David hope you are keeping well ? We’ve just had our Covid booster today and no after effects at the moment as one or two of our friends have had sore arms !
Anyway I suppose that all Dozers are "horses for courses " but just to regale you with my memory from 1968 when John Laing started on the toughest length of the M6 between J 37 and J39 all their gear was brand new and I started with my first motor a Trader tipper hauling stone from Kendal up to Killington and Tebay well I got friendly with a D8 driver who was spreading the stone for the Haul roads that were going in and on the odd occasion at brew time he used to invite into the cab for a brew as all the Dozers had electric kettles which had been supplied from new !!! but he also showed me how these CAT D8’s could work pushing the stone level etc. Never forget those times up in the Lune Gorge but within 6 months I had “baled out” and got my first “A” licence sold the Trader and bought the new D1000 far too tough a job for me knocking 7 bells out of the little Trader ! :frowning: All the best Dennis.

I liked the Traders, it seemed to me just like driving a racing car, seat on the floor and legs stretched out in front, not good perhaps though if you happened to run into the bloke in front though. Then came the D 1000, a quantum leap in cab design, along with the TK. I appreciated both of those at different places. :smiley:

Buzzer

Bewick:

Afternoon Dennis,

Yes all good here thanks,4th jab,2nd booster last week,left me feeling very lethargic as previous for some 3 days,then all good,no pain and back raring to go,well perhaps not!
Portugal is predominantly Moderna vaccine.

I cannot imagine a Trader lasting long on that type of excavation,which you had already sussed out by the sounds of it!

Stay safe,

David

Hiya David it was the Moderna vaccine( including the Omnicom additive ) we got yesterday and although I have a bit of arm ache it has really knocked Anne for 6 so she has had a very quiet day but hopefully all will be OK in a day or two !
When I was running the Trader I kept away from the actual on site work and just hauled the stone from Kendal 6 loads a day then I also hauled many loads of dust for topping the stone from Harrisons Quarry at Shap so I managed to keep the little motor in reasonable nick but it was still hard work and I soon realised it wern’t for me ! :wink: A lot of locals who jumped on the bandwagon came badly unstuck I believe as they were ex Greengrocers, Painters and Decorators, Builders, Plumbers and a few others that thought it was “Bonanza” time . I remember one geezer ( Solicitor or Accountant type) turned up in an MGB with a couple of brand new D800 tippers , in primer, driven by a right couple of likely Lads who obviously didn’t have a clue well I heard later that they had battered these two D800’s into the ground within about 3 or 4 months and apparently this wizz Kid in the MGB did a runner never to be seen again and left a mountain of “chuckie” behind him on the two wrecks ! Near the end of the work the firm that subbed the work off Laings ( D & G Associates) then re subbed to the O/D’s also went down the pan owing these O/D’s two or three months earnings so it all ended in tears for many ! I was lucky as I was there at the start for only 6 months and was paid promptly I have to say ! I have it on good authority that a number of the tippers were bulldozed into Roan Edge quarry on the side of the A685 at the top of the Lune Gorge looking down onto the M6 ! Cheers Dennis.

Buzzer

Bewick:
Hiya David it was the Moderna vaccine we got yesterday and although I have a bit of arm ache it has really knocked Anne for 6 so she has had a very quiet day but hopefully all will be OK in a day or two !
When I was running the Trader I kept away from the actual on site work and just hauled the stone from Kendal 6 loads a day then I also hauled many loads of dust for topping the stone from Harrisons Quarry at Shap so I managed to keep the little motor in reasonable nick but it was still hard work and I soon realised it wern’t for me ! :wink: A lot of locals who jumped on the bandwagon came badly unstuck I believe as they were ex Greengrocers, Painters and Decorators, Builders, Plumbers and a few others that thought it was “Bonanza” time . I remember one geezer ( Solicitor or Accountant type) turned up in an MGB with a couple of brand new D800 tippers , in primer, driven by a right couple of likely Lads who obviously didn’t have a clue well I heard later that they had battered these two D800’s into the ground within about 3 or 4 months and apparently this wizz Kid in the MGB did a runner never to be seen again and left a mountain of “chuckie” behind him on the two wrecks ! Near the end of the work the firm that subbed the work off Laings ( D & G Associates) then re subbed to the O/D’s also went down the pan owing these O/D’s two or three months earnings so it all ended in tears for many ! I was lucky as I was there at the start for only 6 months and was paid promptly I have to say ! I have it on good authority that a number of the tippers were bulldozed into Roan Edge quarry on the side of the A685 at the top of the Lune Gorge looking down onto the M6 ! Cheers Dennis.

Sorry read about Anne Dennis,but better to feel poorly than get the full blown Covid,effects lasted exactly 3 days with me,better watch out,be right as rain tomorrow!

David

Buzzer:
Buzzer

The sheet on the Wynns Foden low loader looks like it will flap a bit when on the move ! :blush: :unamused: :wink:

A 29 tonne Takeuchi gets a ride back from Edinburgh.

Buzzer

Punchy Dan:

29 tonne Dan?!…… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

David

5thwheel:

Punchy Dan:

29 tonne Dan?!…… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

David

Used a public weighbridge at Milnthorpe :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

…… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

My Grandad Smiles at work.

Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer

310079561_8078110695597682_8023127951315844984_n (2).jpg

Buzzer

1F188ECE-2E8E-4E9E-918E-9C001A139377.jpeg
One for Denzil the expert :laughing: what was wrong here exactly ?