"Heavy Haulage through the years"

I think NEI Parsons up in Newcastle on Tyne used to run their own push and pull motor, they may have just used it internally but not sure, maybe Tyneside might know better?

IIRC Parsons did have a Scammell Unit based at their Benton works, Used to transport stuff to and from their Fossway Depot, Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
IIRC Parsons did have a Scammell Unit based at their Benton works, Used to transport stuff to and from their Fossway Depot, Larry.

This Gardner Powered Scammell was in Parsons Green & Black Livery, I wonder what happened to it :question: , Larry

pv83:
“DEANB” Faun have certainly built some big old motors over the years.

How many of those big Fauns are still earning their keep you reckon Dean?

No idea Patrick. :unamused: :laughing: I dont suppose there would have been that many built ?

Talking of big old motors,heres an Autocar.

Click on pages twice to read.

Just the one, Buzzer.

[/quote]
Hi DeanO you have found some more gems with the Faun and the Autocar thanks for that,I know nothing about the Fauns but they are certainly a big unit if we get through this pandemic before I retire below ground I wouldn’t mind one last trip to europe and see some of these unit in the flesh .No pun intended.

This pic I have of this Autocar I may have posted before but it is worth another look it belongs to an owner driver and he has done a great job of modifying it to his satisfaction without the truck losing its originality .

Dig

Recent photos of a couple of older established firms still going, credit to eastleighbusman for the photos.
Oily

DIG:

Hi DeanO you have found some more gems with the Faun and the Autocar thanks for that,I know nothing about the Fauns but they are certainly a big unit if we get through this pandemic before I retire below ground I wouldn’t mind one last trip to europe and see some of these unit in the flesh .No pun intended.

This pic I have of this Autocar I may have posted before but it is worth another look it belongs to an owner driver and he has done a great job of modifying it to his satisfaction without the truck losing its originality .

Dig

Nice pic Dig. :wink: I imagine the Autocar was fairly rare in Australia compared to the other USA manufacturers ?

Heres a bit on Aus that may intrest you from 1963.

Nice pic Dig. :wink: I imagine the Autocar was fairly rare in Australia compared to the other USA manufacturers ?

Thanks Dean O
your quite correct about the Autocar population at least here in WA there were 2 in the Kimberly one based in Derby powered by a 350hp ■■■■■■■ and the other belonged to EKT transport in Wyndam this one didn’t have a sleeper cab was powered by a 400hp ■■■■■■■ it was a fairly long wheel base there was a frame built up behind the cab and the driver could roll his swag on it, it was christened Brutus and I have a sneaking suspicion that one I posted all spruced up may have been Brutus but not totally sure.
I think there popularity was diminished by the butterfly bonnet not the easiest of trucks to work on when most of the others had hinged bonnets or tilt cabs which made access easy.

Dig

DEANB:

DIG:

I reckon that shoebox is now a 40foot container.

Good article they were still finishing the eyre Hwy when I was working for Leyland truck division Perth in 1969 and it was well into the 70s before the final seal was in place all the way through from Norseman to Ceduna.It is certainly a super Hwy now.
The cook and I were travelling back to Perth some 6 years ago and decided we would travel back on some of the old road from Nullabor road house to the border at Eucla it was pretty slow going as the country is pretty much all old reefy rock but no trees or hills and we accidentally bypassed the quarantine station at the border coming back on the sealed Hwy 5 0r 6 kms west of the check point.

Dig

DIG:

Thanks Dean O
your quite correct about the Autocar population at least here in WA there were 2 in the Kimberly one based in Derby powered by a 350hp ■■■■■■■ and the other belonged to EKT transport in Wyndam this one didn’t have a sleeper cab was powered by a 400hp ■■■■■■■ it was a fairly long wheel base there was a frame built up behind the cab and the driver could roll his swag on it, it was christened Brutus and I have a sneaking suspicion that one I posted all spruced up may have been Brutus but not totally sure.
I think there popularity was diminished by the butterfly bonnet not the easiest of trucks to work on when most of the others had hinged bonnets or tilt cabs which made access easy.

Dig

Thought as much Dig,thanks for confirming. :wink:

Just the one, Buzzer

DEANB:

pv83:
“DEANB” Faun have certainly built some big old motors over the years.

How many of those big Fauns are still earning their keep you reckon Dean?

No idea Patrick. :unamused: :laughing: I dont suppose there would have been that many built ?

Great stuff Dean, ta mate :wink:

DIG:

Dig
[/quote]
Tidy looking unit DIG, I don’t suppose there are many Autocar’s out there though at your neck of the woods? What lump is fitted under the bonnet?

Not much Faun’s left here doing that sort of jobs unfortunately mate, if there were, I would be right on them! :laughing:

oiltreader:
Recent photos of a couple of older established firms still going, credit to eastleighbusman for the photos.
Oily

Cheers Oily :wink:

Buzzer:
Just the one, Buzzer

Always liked the fleet of Heanor, as they had some really interesting kit, cheers for posting Buzzer :wink:

Speaking of Heanor having some interesting kit, who remembers the HHT tractor units they’d built, this one being HHT 001.

Some more of Heanor’s and the mighty F16’s they had, all courtesey of Adrian Goodman

pv83:
Speaking of Heanor having some interesting kit, who remembers the HHT tractor units they’d built, this one being HHT 001.

With the Volvo cab no less!

I used ride shotgun on a similar Scammel that Pat used to drive at S.L.Robinson at Cheadle Hulme.

David

5thwheel:

pv83:

With the Volvo cab no less!

I used ride shotgun on a similar Scammel that Pat used to drive at S.L.Robinson at Cheadle Holme.

David

I remember Hartshead Moor and Leicester Forest services were run by ROSS, pictured in the background with HHT01