"Heavy Haulage through the years"

jsutherland:

DIG:
Thanks one and all for the photos and articles through the ages etc , I have been having a look at West Aus early days in the cattle carting industry with Leyland being a leader in this industry as well as Low Loader work.
Dig

Thanks for the article DIG. A fascinating read.

Indeed it was mate, brings back memories, although thankfully I never had a broken axle. I reckon 16 wheel changes in one trip was my punishment. :laughing:

Schupp

DIG:
Thanks one and all for the photos and articles through the ages etc , I have been having a look at West Aus early days in the cattle carting industry with Leyland being a leader in this industry as well as Low Loader work.
Dig

Cheers for the article DIG, must admit I thought I’d misread it at first, when they mentioned 150hp powered wagons… then I realized he was on about that Super Hippo… so much for the good old days eh :wink:

jsutherland:
Locamattogo - a company based in Togo.
http://locamattogo.com

Cheers Johnny :wink: Looks like they’ve used the front end of a Magnum AE on that 8 wheeler doesn’t it?

jsutherland:
Schupp

Reckon the previous owner was Max Goll, going by the livery… Now, for some bonus points Johnny, where was this photo taken?

Right, about time I’d put me pennies in, the following in courtesey of Mr. Wassink, how to retrieve a boiler someone has “lost”…

Dirty Dan:
So whent to Bergen norway a couple of Weld ago. Loved the tripp,got the long way around the highest mountin but that made me go throug leardals tunel. 24.5km. But it was a great trip

Danne

Some cracking shots Danne, cheers!

oiltreader:
Drawbar units, ballast tractors, prime movers, who where calls them what :bulb:
Oily

Depends on in which corner of the world you are I reckon Oily :wink: That last pic, is that a painting?

Ooh, and before I forget to mention it… we seemed to have made it to page 80! Never would have thought that it was going to last that long to be honest, so I would like to thank each and everyone for their input, cheers lads :wink:

pv83:
Right, about time I’d put me pennies in, the following in courtesey of Mr. Wassink, how to retrieve a boiler someone has “lost”…

Fascinating pictures Patrick, but that’s not a boiler, it’s someone’s house, you can see him peering out of the window in the next to last photo. :laughing: :laughing:

Was that a Matador doing the heavy work?

Spardo:

pv83:

Fascinating pictures Patrick, but that’s not a boiler, it’s someone’s house, you can see him peering out of the window in the next to last photo. :laughing: :laughing:

Was that a Matador doing the heavy work?

Already thought that was a big mouse peeping out mate :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Aye, looks like a Matador to me.

ERF-NGC-European:

pete smith:

Froggy55:

pv83:

Would the truck with the viaduct in the background be an Atkinson? Strange cab.

Hi Paul,
I would go with a Krupp cabbed Atkinson, 240 Gardner powered would explain the extended front? Cheer’s Pete

Interesting idea, Pete! However the Krupp Atkinson CLT came with a Rolls 220 so unless it had been re-engined and re-cabbed, it might be something else. Also, not sure that the cab is an extended Krupp: have a look at the pictures on the CLT thread, here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=118469&hilit=atkinson+clt

And here’s the picture again with a CLT for comparison. Cheers, Robert

It’s an Atki with a local build cab, and as for the source providing pulling power… it’s a Mercedes engine… Who would have thought of that…?

Going a bit off-topic here, but at the beginning or end of a journey, there’s always at some point a crane involved, whether it be a mobile or crawler one to do the loading or lifting of the load, so I reckoned it might be interesting to post some pic’s of such cranes on here? I can’t put a name on the various types and models but I’ve always been intrigued nonetheless by the capabilities of those cranes.

NMP

21106720_1012167838925885_6475775251243051755_n.jpg

29425957_1589744787729697_5877383176564768768_n.jpg

32533583_1642334339137408_5039261660695494656_n.jpg

Some intresting crane pics Patrick. I see they cut away part of the Terberg (Volvo) roof so the jib
would sit level. :open_mouth:

One from 1986.

Click on pages twice to read.

pv83:

oiltreader:
Drawbar units, ballast tractors, prime movers, who where calls them what :bulb:
Oily

Depends on in which corner of the world you are I reckon Oily :wink: That last pic, is that a painting?

A bit of virtual twiddling I guess Patrick, he has quite a few pics like that.
Oily

Mercedes - V D Vlist - (VK 58 YS):

Slightly unusual tower crane photo taken in Redpaths offshore yard in Port Clarence in about 1992.

Thanks Patrick for the most interesting sampling of european cranes! Un fortunately, I have very little knowledge of the subject. The most I can say is that PPM was a French crane manufacturer, PPM standing for Potain Poclain Manutention. Became Terex Cranes France in 2004. One of yours uses a Renault cab.