Heaven does exist.... a picture diary to prove it ;-)

A thoroughly recommended eatery.

Day # 1
My mission last week was to go to Tipton to deliver a short ADR course. My normal practice is to arrive in the afternoon of the day before the course commences for the purpose of setting-up the classroom and getting settled in at the B&B.

Having achieved that (after wasting hours on a technical problem of my own making with my new projector :blush: ) I enquired as to where it might be possible for me to eat an evening meal. The conversation surprised me somewhatā€¦

Dave: Do you know of anywhere that I could get an evening meal please?

Boss: You can eat just down the road at ā€œThe Pie Factory.ā€ :open_mouth:

Thinking that this was a cruel wind-up in the worst possible taste, I asked the boss to repeatā€¦

Dave: Eh? Pardonā– ā– ?

Boss: You can eat just down the road at ā€œThe Pie Factory.ā€ Just go down the road and youā€™ll see it on the corner, you canā€™t miss it cos itā€™s quite a big place. (All said in an accent somewhere between a Brummie and a Yamyam. :wink: )

So, armed with this information, I set-off in the Piemobileā€¦

ā€¦ and saw this as I waited at the traffic-lights: :open_mouth:

I parked the Piemobile in the car park:

Then I saw the most amazing BOGOF offer Iā€™ve ever seen:

Still incredulous, Iā€™m thinking itā€™s a cardboard cut-out and somebody is intent on winding me up, so I walked around to the other sideā€¦
ā€¦and saw the front of the building:

I enter quietly through the door from the car park

Just like anybody else finding their idea of heaven, Iā€™m transfixed for a while whilst I adapt to my new surroundings.

It seems to be an international company with customers in far flung parts of the World.

They even have some vacancies:

Now itā€™s time to read the menu:

The ā€œpie of the weekā€ is described as a Desperate Dan Cow Pie weighing 4lb complete with horns. :open_mouth:
It says that if you finish the Desperate Dan Cow Pie, you get a certificate. :open_mouth:
Tempted as I am (and who wouldnā€™t be? :laughing: ) itā€™s a bit big for the time of evening, so I decide to leave that one for day # 2 :wink:

Since itā€™s quite late in the evening, and itā€™s a Wednesday, I decide to take them up on their Wednesday BOGOF offer instead.
You go back for the second pie once youā€™ve eaten this lot:

Iā€™ve just tested the end of the pie, and itā€™s rather nice. :smiley:
The lady at the servery didnā€™t actually expect me to come back for the second pie, but I explained that the misunderstanding was due to the fact that she didnā€™t know me. :sunglasses:
At all costs, I had to prevent the second pie from falling into the wrong hands. :grimacing:
Yes, the table is a butcherā€™s chopping block, as are the other tables, andā€¦
Yes, that IS sawdust and wood shavings on the floor. :open_mouth:

Day # 2

The big day dawns and as Iā€™m eating brekkie, I realise that Iā€™m already looking forward to my evening meal.

Back at the Pie Factory and after checking the terms and conditions once more, I order the 4lb Desperate Dan Cow Pie.

Here it is:

So, just like on a question of sport, we stop the action and ask: What happened next??

Did I finish the pie?
Did the pie get the better of me?
Did I get my certificate?
Did I go back for a dessert?

These and many other questions will be answered after the commercial breakā€¦

Whilst youā€™re pondering the answers, did you realise that they also seem to do meals on wheels?

They have a website:
http://www.madorourkes.com/

If you go to the bar for a drink, youā€™ll see these beer-taps:

Yes, the beer-taps are various kinds of hammers. :smiley:

They also seem to do other types of pies:
I gave the donkeyburgers a miss thoughā€¦

Now back to the serious stuffā€¦

This is what happened to the Desperate Dan Cow Pie:

It was all a bit of an anti-climax actually, cos it only took me 10mins to eat it. (Including the horns. :wink: )
After eating ā€˜allā€™ that 4lb pie, I was still a bit peckish, so I ordered a bread and butter pudding with custard for afters. :sunglasses:

Hereā€™s my certificate and bill:

:bulb: Now where else could you get a 4lb pie and afters, and still get change from Ā£13 these days??

:bulb: :arrow_right: Iā€™ve added this location to ā€˜favouritesā€™ on my sat-nav. :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

So have you started house hunting in Tipton yet? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Great diary and great pies, oops Freudian slip I meant great pics. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Daves new personal transport - just needs a few ADR stickers on it :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You look like you were in your element Dave!! I bet it was music to you ears when you heard the words Pie and Factory used together :laughing: :smiley:

Very funny! Nice one Dave. :grimacing:

rise sir knight i dubb the the piemaster !!!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™d forgotten about the I slow down for pies sticker from pistonheads, was that my good self who told you about them??

The pies look good but the beer looks a bit dodgy :wink:

Denis F:
ā€¦the beer looks a bit dodgy :wink:

Bet you could get HAMMERED on it :wink: :laughing:

Been in that one and a few other Mad Oā€™Rourkeā€™s eateries.As you say,thoroughly recommended. Desperate Dan pie and bread & butter pud with custard :open_mouth: RESPECT!

ROG:

Denis F:

not with the stuff in Daveā€™s glass :wink:

Looks good , loads of brown sauce and it would be perfect

garnerlives:
You look like you were in your element Dave!! I bet it was music to you ears when you heard the words Pie and Factory used together :laughing: :smiley:

Oh yes Jon, but can you understand my double-take?? :grimacing:

Rob K:
Very funny! Nice one Dave. :grimacing:

Cheers for that Rob. :smiley:

There are some cracking diary writers on here (you amongst them of course) so Iā€™m glad my efforts are well received. :smiley:

mummyminkles:
rise sir knight i dubb the the piemaster !!!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like Iā€™ve eaten my way into the history books!! :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Denis F:
The pies look good but the beer looks a bit dodgy :wink:

Thatā€™s very true Denis, but ALL alcohol is dodgy. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

garnerlives:
Iā€™d forgotten about the I slow down for pies sticker from pistonheads, was that my good self who told you about them??

Yes Jon, it was a joint effort between you and Mr Spanky. :smiley:

BTW, it looks like heā€™s missed this post. :wink: :grimacing:

ROG:

Denis F:

Yes ROG, there were several different hammers to choose from, but they were all attached to taps containing various forms of beer, none of which are nice.

:arrow_right: I can comment that the soda water was of a particularly fine vintage though. :grimacing:

Sir +:
Been in that one and a few other Mad Oā€™Rourkeā€™s eateries.As you say,thoroughly recommended. Desperate Dan pie and bread & butter pud with custard :open_mouth: RESPECT!

Iā€™ll be checking the other establishments at some pointā€¦ all in the interests of research of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

:bulb: Once Iā€™d finished the pie, it was a toss-up between the bread and butter pudding, or a second pie, but I thought Iā€™d best not be too greedy on my first visit. :wink:

merc0447:
Looks good , loads of brown sauce and it would be perfect

Spot-on mate, cos brown sauce is far better than that red stuff. :wink:

I can heartily recommend those pies, cos theyā€™re really really good. :smiley: