Heated mirrors

Last night run in the torrential rain and clouds of spray got me to thinking about mirrors, (it was a long night :blush: )
Do you remember when we all had strips of rags tied to the mirror arms?
If you were a “real” trucker you would have an illuminated Michelin man and one of those cages hanging of your mirror arms to keep your Tango cool!!

I’ll get my hat on the way out…

mkb600:
Last night run in the torrential rain and clouds of spray got me to thinking about mirrors, (it was a long night :blush: )
If you were a “real” trucker you would have an illuminated Michelin man and one of those cages hanging of your mirror arms to keep your Tango cool!!

Happy days they were :smiley:

mkb600:

Re: Michelin man…

Did you had any traditions related to it, or it was just who liked it, fitted it on?

As in Poland there was that unspoken rule, that you could put your michelin man after you clocked 1 000 000 km behind the wheel of the truck… So up to 80s, maybe early ninetes, if you saw truck with Michelin Man, you could be sure that its one of the old hands driving it…

Remember just how bad those old flat unheated mirrors were, shaking violently on the arms after bouncing over every pebble matchstick and cats eye.

We used to dream of living in a cardboard box lad.

orys:

mkb600:

Re: Michelin man…

Did you had any traditions related to it, or it was just who liked it, fitted it on?

As in Poland there was that unspoken rule, that you could put your michelin man after you clocked 1 000 000 km behind the wheel of the truck… So up to 80s, maybe early ninetes, if you saw truck with Michelin Man, you could be sure that its one of the old hands driving it…

There was no such tradition in this country that I’m aware of.

Personally I didn’t like the Michelin man on lorries regardless of whether or not they were illuminated, I always thought they looked a bit daft to be honest, couldn’t live without the compulsory rag hanging from the mirror arms though :slight_smile:

tachograph:
There was no such tradition in this country that I’m aware of.

Thanks. I was just curious, as I am quite fascinated with that British trucker’s folklore and was wondering if there are same elements of it in both countries.

Thanks. I was just curious, as I am quite fascinated with that British trucker’s folklore and was wondering if there are same elements of it in both countries.
[/quote]
British truckers folklore? If you mean buckets of BS then you’re in the right place :wink:

m1tch:
British truckers folklore? If you mean buckets of BS then you’re in the right place :wink:

Oh, no, for buckets of BS I go to “operating British trucks from Eastern Europe” and similar threads :slight_smile:

I find heated mirrors a nightmare road dirt bakes it self to the mirror and is murder to get them clean again

kr79:
I find heated mirrors a nightmare road dirt bakes it self to the mirror and is murder to get them clean again

Kev, there is a fantastic new product out now, it is great for getting all the baked on crap off the mirrors

it’s called Glass Cleaner :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What’s wrong with a page out of yeaterdays sun

kr79:

i would have thought yesterday’s Mirror would be more appropriate :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Very good Robert :smiley:

I remember putting strip of rag on my mirrors, you could buy them in truckstops, Juddians right about the mirrors shaking so bad you really Couldn’t see a great deal out of them, especially at night in bad weather. I’ve found polishing the mirror with Rainex keeps the mirror cleaner for longer.

Don’t forget the strips of old inner tube stretched round the front wheel nuts!

kr79:

Yep, bit of newspaper and a gobful of goss on each mirror works wonders.

kr79:

its got more ■■■■ on it than the mirror already :laughing:

orys:

m1tch:

Oh, no, for buckets of BS I go to “operating British trucks from Eastern Europe” and similar threads :slight_smile:

haha I bow to you superior knowledge :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

kr79:

Kev, there is a fantastic new product out now, it is great for getting all the baked on crap off the mirrors

it’s called Glass Cleaner :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ^^^^^^^^^^^

muckles:
I remember putting strip of rag on my mirrors, you could buy them in truckstops, Juddians right about the mirrors shaking so bad you really Couldn’t see a great deal out of them, especially at night in bad weather. I’ve found polishing the mirror with Rainex keeps the mirror cleaner for longer.

I remember putting strip of rag on my mirrors, you could buy them in truckstops

You bought a bit of rag!!! at a truckstop■■?
Girlfriends knickers were the preferred option, just don’t tell the wife!!!