Health and safety.Put your hazard lights on

On arrival at a barrier gate and a button to press to get in the back yard to unload.
The security informed me to wear a hiviz and hazards on.
Nothing odd in that request, i hear you saying.
But this was the back of an outlet shopping mall.
The yard had no vehicles,and nobody working there or walking about.
Only stinking wheely bins.
It is the same at arrival at a very large RDC,i am asked if i am wearing safety boots,no need for them to walk from the cab to sit in the goods in waiting room?

Try putting your Hazards on and driving around an Asda depot, and see how fast the shunter crosses the yard racing towards you to tell you to turn them off

A friend of mine was once summoned to a disciplinary meeting where the charge was that he was “Seen without a Hi Viz on”.

His reply was “Well if I was seen without my Hi Viz on then there was no need for me to be wearing one”

When did the obsesion with Hiviz start in the UK.?
In some European countries you can climb on top of your chemical acid road tanker with cut off shorts,tee shirt and no hiviz or eye goggles.The driver did not perish in the 48 degree Summer heat.
Why in the UK do road construction crews wear hard hats?
To protect from dive bombing seagulls after their Spam sarnies?

I always thought it was illegal to move a vehicle with hazard lights on,your only suppose to just them when you are broken down to warn other drivers.

TTX boy:
I always thought it was illegal to move a vehicle with hazard lights on,your only suppose to just them when you are broken down to warn other drivers.

Yes. But there is one exception to this (mentioned in highway code) when you should have them on when you are moving (stationary/slow traffic ahead of you on motorway)

TTX boy:

your r
wrong you must put them on when you double park the x5 at the school gates to drop Portia and Rupert off before meeting the rest of the gels for brunch at waitrose cafe

its also obligatory to put them on when parked outside the local newsagent whilst just popping in for the daily joke paper.

Dont put your hazards on in a Sainsbury RDC they may not know which way you are turning ( no not a joke as I thought )

I really flipping hate it when companies give you all these ■■■ bag rules.

Best one i had, the security man asked me if i had all my PPE, then listed hat boots gloves and viz, i said yes. He instructed me to put them all on, pull over to the loading bay, hand my keys to the loader, and remain in the truck.

Why do i need all my PPE if im not allowed out of the truck? Rule makers have gone soft in the head!

It’s just the way these places operate nowadays. I think it’s all to do with insurance company’s i.e if an accident occurs and you are not wearing ppe then the insurance company doesn’t have to pay out. A place I load plaster out of will not let you walk from the weigh bridge to the office without your hardhat on even though it’s only about 5 meters away and is situated well away from the factory.

peirre:
Try putting your Hazards on and driving around an Asda depot, and see how fast the shunter crosses the yard racing towards you to tell you to turn them off

The one at South Elmsall? I was told by the shunter to only use them when reversing, one of the shunters in particular is a complete prick

Think I’ve used mine 3 times in the last 20 years in a RDC in Calgary that’s bout it.

Pick up at a tractor factory in Benson MN walk on through to use the bathrooms in shorts t shirt n flip flops plus the good old ear plugs. H&S over here is practically none existing

All to do with Insurance,if you had an accident whilst on their premises and they are alledged not to taken all necessary or reasonable precautions to eliminate risk they could be liable,therefore they put rules into place and if you fail to comply its your own fault

I took some pallets in to the Mirror at Oldham a while back and some Ceva nob came running at me like a windmill with his arms flapping about, ordering me to put my hazard lights on and slow down even though I was doing the speed limit. :unamused: Yet it’s alright for their own wagons to drive round the site at about 30 mph nearly mowing you down and no hazard lights on. :unamused:

mutley:

peirre:

The one at South Elmsall? I was told by the shunter to only use them when reversing, one of the shunters in particular is a complete prick

The policy where I work is to only use hazard lights when reversing.

The theory is that when driving around the depot and you need to turn left/right then indicate as you normally would which gives much clearer intent than driving around with hazards on and then just suddenly turning left or right.

Also, when you see somebody switch on their hazards (especially when you’re following them around the depot) you know that they are about to position themselves for a reverse so you give them room to do so.

Why do drivers like to use hazard warning lights when it is totally unnecessary.
E.G. parking illegally,driving in yards and even when reversing.That is why lorries are fitted with reversing lights and bleepers.
I still say some British drivers are obsessed with lights.They use fog lamps when they should not,they use flashing lights when they should not.
The problem is most of the time these lights are more of a distraction than a help.As with a lot of things drivers need to be educated or reminded how and when they should use certain lights and not make the decision themselves or from some clown in a yard.

Lee1976:

mutley:

peirre:

The policy where I work is to only use hazard lights when reversing.

The theory is that when driving around the depot and you need to turn left/right then indicate as you normally would which gives much clearer intent than driving around with hazards on and then just suddenly turning left or right.

Also, when you see somebody switch on their hazards (especially when you’re following them around the depot) you know that they are about to position themselves for a reverse so you give them room to do so.

Our place is the same except for the last bit. Putting hazards on means accelerate past them ASAP or you’ll end up only having 3 hours 59 ½ minutes break instead of the full 4 hours.

I dont think its drivers are obsessed with lights I think there are so many conflicting rules on different sites the drivers just go for it all lights and buzzers blazing just in case they are breaking a rule somewhere and some little Hitler tries to bollock them.
We need one set of rules to abide by not something made up at the site because they think they know better than the last place you visited…and it goes on.

In our yard we get away with murder, hi viz and boots but that’s it, one driver left the shunt button pushed in and the trl went through the garage wall, all he got was a roasting and the p took out of him, I’ve turned to early and hit a wall without any come back.