Heads up.Das auto.bbc 2 tomorrow at 21.00

One off documentary about the Germans and their cars.

Oh, that’ll be about ‘Arrogant’ Audi,BMW & Mercedes drivers then who need lessons in Physics & how long it takes a fully loaded wagon to stop. LOL

Indicators do not come factory fitted.For a surcharge you order them as an optional extra.
But when i was a young lad i remember UK built cars to be skips on wheels.Factories on strike over nothing.Unions.Downing tools.
The Austin range was terrible.Morris Marina.Mini Metro.Allegro.
The UK had the chance but were too lazy and could not design.
The Japanese flooded the market wuth the early version of the Nissan Micra.
We also missed out on motorcycle production too.

toby1234abc:
Factories on strike over nothing.Unions.Downing tools.
The UK had the chance but were too lazy and could not design.

… & what about the poor & ineffective management? :neutral_face:

… A lot of cars are designed here in Britain, inc the Nissan micra you mentioned :stuck_out_tongue:

martinviking:
Oh, that’ll be about ‘Arrogant’ Audi,BMW & Mercedes drivers then who need lessons in Physics & how long it takes a fully loaded wagon to stop. LOL

I’m not arrogant

Dafman:

martinviking:

I’m not arrogant

Sorry, rephrase that-
‘A lot of Audi,BMW & Mercedes Drivers’

Dafman:

martinviking:

I’m not arrogant

No i’m not either.

Just watched it and it was not about Germans and their cars but about our massive industrial failure that allowed the Germans to streak ahead. Left me wondering what
Nigel Farage and UKIP might achieve if they actually won office and took us out of the EU. seems we produce but don’t actually own anything, profits heading out of this
country the bit Top Gear failed to mention in tonights last episode when it paraded all that we produce, a touching moment.The future is scary!

My first car was a Mini Metro. I loved it, easy to fix apart from the hydrogas suspension.

Yes, but equally, there’s stuff we don’t make here that we do retain profits from.

Almost every mobile phone in the world has a chip designed by ARM of Cambridge…a company that grew from Acorn Computers.

The Uk doesn’t actually make any of those chips…they are all made by companies in South Korea…but the South Koreans pay handsomely for the designs, and ARM creates lots of wealth for the UK.

I’m not saying that our own manufacturing sector isn’t important, but things are so mixed up now it’s difficult to tell which products come from where.

My pet hate is premium ‘British’ brands outsourcing to China, but still pretending to be British …Hunter wellington boots being a prime example.

Armagedon:
Just watched it and it was not about Germans and their cars but about our massive industrial failure that allowed the Germans to streak ahead. Left me wondering what
Nigel Farage and UKIP might achieve if they actually won office and took us out of the EU. seems we produce but don’t actually own anything, profits heading out of this
country the bit Top Gear failed to mention in tonights last episode when it paraded all that we produce, a touching moment.The future is scary!

It would be pointless to discuss leaving the EU with anyone who doesn’t have a rudimentary understanding of economics & how the EU is just 1 example of an economic principle where us being a stand alone nation is another.

I would argue that there is not one of us on TNUK who fully understands how it all works & why should we?

All we do is drive the trucks that move stuff around. What do we care about who earns the real money?

Wayne:
My first car was a Mini Metro. I loved it, easy to fix apart from the hydrogas suspension.

On my way home Friday I followed an immaculate brown 1.0l Metro with a ‘Barnsley Mini Metro Owners Club’ sticker in the back window. WTF, not even with rose tinted Raybans could such a pile of ■■■ be considered an enthusiasts car.

One of my claims to fame is that the first ever seat belt that wasn’t dyed black was fitted to the MG Metro & it was dyed red by my bestest mate who really struggled to get the desired result & cites me as one of his greatest inspirations. & you can’t make ■■■■ like that up !

Gas Gas come on your clutching at straws we retain in the UK what has been our downfall for many years…■■■■ poor management, the workers can do the job they just
need good management.10 years till mid June I never went north of the 303, this last month I have been trundling round the UK, what an eye opener, hats off to all drivers
having to cope with all the crap I have seen,I salute all off you.This country is the pits.

Ironic quote of the programme “Mercedes were building bullet proof cars, British Leyland couldn’t build a rust proof car” says it all about the British motor industry!!

weeto:
Ironic quote of the programme “Mercedes were building bullet proof cars, British Leyland couldn’t build a rust proof car” says it all about the British motor industry!!

youtube.com/watch?v=gd6aD90PaI8

youtube.com/watch?v=RA4ap2L9drE

On a different angle to the motoring industry when the jet engine was invented it was the Brits that said it would never work and pardun the pun never take off.Look how large jet travel is today.
As a lad the Alfa Romeo or any Italian car would rust very quickly.The rumour was factories by the sea.Salt corrosion.

The class system (recently extended btw to fit more inspired wanna be’s into it), p poor management (know it all but know nowt) and a ‘you should know your place’ outlook have and will continue to keep you all at the bottom of the ‘food’ chain.

Funny how the economy has started to grow, people are suddenly more optimistic and interest rates are back on the agenda (will be going up soon) there must be an election on the horizon.

And now they tell me I might have to contribute to bringing up other people’s kids! If they have them they should bring them up not the state or the tax payer - and they won’t be called benefit scrounges will they??

And just for good measure they are now trialling laboratory burgers to feed the peasants! Must be more profitable and brings a new meaning to food ‘bank’.

That’s why the country is knackered - short termism!

Carryfast:

weeto:

Your point being?

weeto:

Carryfast:

weeto:

Your point being?

Blimey I thought that would be obvious.For every bit of selective bs that ■■■■■■ who presented the typical propaganda about so called bad Brit cars v their so called brilliant German counterparts,not to mention your comments,there’s always something out there to shoot it down in flames.In this case the fact that for every so called rusty British Leyland motor there’s always going to be a worse German heap of zb somewhere.Which is probably why there’s often plenty of decent surviving old Leyland motors still going strong while the German contemporary opposition was usually sent for scrap years ago. :imp: