Heads up.Das auto.bbc 2 tomorrow at 21.00

Carryfast is right, British cars were so much better. One day I hope to own my dream car, an Austin Princess, maybe the worlds most beautiful car.

switchlogic:
Carryfast is right, British cars were so much better. One day I hope to own my dream car, an Austin Princess, maybe the worlds most beautiful car.

I thought the Golf or the Metro would have been more to your liking. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

switchlogic:

Have you been gassed in your cab?? Lol

toby1234abc:
On a different angle to the motoring industry when the jet engine was invented it was the Brits that said it would never work and pardun the pun never take off.Look how large jet travel is today.
As a lad the Alfa Romeo or any Italian car would rust very quickly.The rumour was factories by the sea.Salt corrosion.

I thought rolls royce invented the jet engine?

Cold Up North:

toby1234abc:
On a different angle to the motoring industry when the jet engine was invented it was the Brits that said it would never work and pardun the pun never take off.Look how large jet travel is today.
As a lad the Alfa Romeo or any Italian car would rust very quickly.The rumour was factories by the sea.Salt corrosion.

I thought rolls royce invented the jet engine?

Frank Whittle did…

Sorry, Rolls-Royce produced the 1st engines capable of flight, based on Frank Whittle’s early prototypes. This was at the Barnoldswick factory. Which was originally a Rover plant, but they traded the site with Rolls as they didn’t have the expertise to prefect Whittle’s design.

Whittle tried and failed to get the Air Ministry/aircraft industry interested in his engines.

Had his ideas been taken up when he first published his patents in 1930, it’s entirely possible that the RAF would have been equipped with jet aircraft in 1939. Had the RAF had jet aircraft in 1939, historical sources suggest that Hitler might have backed down over the invasion of Poland. As it was Whittle had to wait until 1937 to get a prototype engine running.

Germany and Italy ran parallel jet development programmes separately from the British and each other. The first jet aircraft in the world was the Heinkel He 178 (flew in secret in 1939), followed by the Italian Caproni Campini N1 (flew in public in 1940).

The first British jet aircraft (Gloster E38/39) flew in 1941: in the same year the first jet fighter prototype (Me 262) took to the air, but it didn’t enter service until 1944. The Me 262 was the fastest non-rocket plane of WW2.

The Brits caught up, with the Gloster Meteor actually going into series production just before the Me 262. Gloster Meteors took part in the first jet-on-jet interceptions when they shot down pluse-jet powered V1 flying bombs over southern England in 1944, but the first jet-on-jet air combat didn’t happen until the Korean war in 1950.

One of the daft things is the British army started some German car firms going and then gave them to the Germans but the US army gave the tractor firms to John Deere who kept them and are now the biggest in the world

The austin maxi now that was some car

GasGas:
Whittle tried and failed to get the Air Ministry/aircraft industry interested in his engines.

Had his ideas been taken up when he first published his patents in 1930, it’s entirely possible that the RAF would have been equipped with jet aircraft in 1939. Had the RAF had jet aircraft in 1939, historical sources suggest that Hitler might have backed down over the invasion of Poland. As it was Whittle had to wait until 1937 to get a prototype engine running.

Germany and Italy ran parallel jet development programmes separately from the British and each other. The first jet aircraft in the world was the Heinkel He 178 (flew in secret in 1939), followed by the Italian Caproni Campini N1 (flew in public in 1940).

The first British jet aircraft (Gloster E38/39) flew in 1941: in the same year the first jet fighter prototype (Me 262) took to the air, but it didn’t enter service until 1944. The Me 262 was the fastest non-rocket plane of WW2.

The Brits caught up, with the Gloster Meteor actually going into series production just before the Me 262. Gloster Meteors took part in the first jet-on-jet interceptions when they shot down pluse-jet powered V1 flying bombs over southern England in 1944, but the first jet-on-jet air combat didn’t happen until the Korean war in 1950.

The important bit is that it only took Rolls 5 years from the end of WW2 to get the Avon into production.Ver ver ze Germans at zat time. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

kr79:

Now list the German competition to the Jaguar XK120-150,E Type,Mk1/2,S Type and XJ6/12 for the price. :bulb:

Carryfast:

Just for the record, this is Carryfast’s shortest ever post. :open_mouth:

:wink: :grimacing:

Carryfast:

kr79:

Now list the German competition to the Jaguar XK120-150,E Type,Mk1/2,S Type and XJ6/12 for the price. :bulb:

All good and well saying that but top of the range cars wont and didn’t keep a whole industry afloat. I haven’t seen the programme but I imagine it talks about how everyday run of the mill cars like the Golf left the likes of the Maxi for dead. Quite a simple concept really, we probably all agree Jaguar made some amazing cars at the time but that wasn’t enough really was it.

Almost right switchlogic, the Golf was ruling the roost and BL’s response was the Metro.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

kr79:

All good and well saying that but top of the range cars wont and didn’t keep a whole industry afloat. I haven’t seen the programme but I imagine it talks about how everyday run of the mill cars like the Golf left the likes of the Maxi for dead. Quite a simple concept really, we probably all agree Jaguar made some amazing cars at the time but that wasn’t enough really was it.

Exactly carryfast seems to think everyone needs and wants to drive a 4 litre barge around. Yes up to about 1970 triumph rover and jaguar were designing and building quality luxury/sporting cars but to compare the build quality of a 70s jag or a rover sd1 to a w114 w123 merc is laughable. My dad had a 82 xj6 that he bought at 3 years old everytime it rained you got wet inside the car and it fell apart a merc of the same era was built like it was carved from a lump of concrete and more jags survive due to people with beards and arron jumpers restoring them to better than new quality.

mac12:
One of the daft things is the British army started some German car firms going and then gave them to the Germans but the US army gave the tractor firms to John Deere who kept them and are now the biggest in the world

It was VW with the Beetle, and I think by then he might have been ex Army… :wink:

kr79:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

kr79:

Exactly carryfast seems to think everyone needs and wants to drive a 4 litre barge around. Yes up to about 1970 triumph rover and jaguar were designing and building quality luxury/sporting cars but to compare the build quality of a 70s jag or a rover sd1 to a w114 w123 merc is laughable. My dad had a 82 xj6 that he bought at 3 years old everytime it rained you got wet inside the car and it fell apart a merc of the same era was built like it was carved from a lump of concrete and more jags survive due to people with beards and arron jumpers restoring them to better than new quality.

The German economic miracle wasn’t built on Volkswagens it was Mercs and BMW’s that did it.Which just leaves the issue of maintaining wages to keep the customers buying them.While the build quality of Mercs is just a reflection of their price although my 1984 XJ doesn’t leak even today and it’s seen more than a few Mercs of the same age off to the scrap yard before it will ever go there.It’s going to be a bit difficult to restore one to better than new quality when the parts are either genuine produced to the same spec as then or secondhand in the case of ones no longer available. :unamused:

A interesting program proving how a working collective involved in the management process beats a unionised ‘Us vs Them’ system.

Britains downfall was its militant unions stuck in their ways and history will and has proved that, although there is some credence to an arrogant management who couldn’t see the wood for the trees.

The advert for the Princess sums it up as who wants to be Mr Average with a reliable car when we can have one built in Britain that isn’t worth a ■■■■.

Course its all a conspiracy to discredit the unions, strange as they do that themselves.

Dipper_Dave:
A interesting program proving how a working collective involved in the management process beats a unionised ‘Us vs Them’ system.

Britains downfall was its militant unions stuck in their ways and history will and has proved that, although there is some credence to an arrogant management who couldn’t see the wood for the trees.

The advert for the Princess sums it up as who wants to be Mr Average with a reliable car when we can have one built in Britain that isn’t worth a [zb].

Course its all a conspiracy to discredit the unions, strange as they do that themselves.

If German workers had been under the same wage structure as their British counterparts they would have been just as militant because they would have needed to be.The Germans were given their post war recovery on a plate at the expense of British workers for fear of the zb’s kicking off again.