head injury?

I’d imagine you’d be the best judge of being normal. A couple of months ago I had a nasty accident involving a slide :unamused: :blush: and hit my head with some considerable force. I got my head glued back together and dosed up on painkillers and satisfied the doc that I was OK, but for the next two weeks I’d get dizzy spells and feel a bit (more than usual) odd usually when looking up or moving suddenly. A couple of minutes sitting quietly got me back to normal again.

At no point did I consider myself unfit to work.

I will also admit that being hit by a train and in a coma is a bit more serious than coming a cropper whilst out with your kids in the park but I’d never have imagined I could have damaged myself that badly there either.

Glad you are OK though.

Head injury can be strange to say the least as concussion can last in a variety of forms for a long time

A simple knock on the head can kill dont forget that as this happened not long ago to a tm he went outside to yard know his head spoke to people after wards said he was ok he walked back to office sat down that was it he was quite fit aged 36 so dont take any chances

I know as have had head injury’s before

Winseer:
Take the doctor-advised R&R until fully recovered. If the firm decides to put you on zero pay, then add it to the claim you make for “unfair treatment” whilst undergoing the recovery process.

No one should be penalised for having had an accident, especially one involving a head injury for a C+E driver.

Too many people push themselves to work whilst unfit, and should they then have a further accident on duty, they have no leg to stand on, whilst the employer laughs all the way to the bank, since you’ve voided your own cover by working against medical advice.

Claim for ‘unfair treatment’ made against who?

animal:
I have fractured my skull twice 1st dont remember anything about as was 8 do know how long in hospital or anything

2nd was done while ice skating was in hospital over night nowt serious & has not affected me at all after that went on to gain full bike licence & have a cat C

Hope this helps but all are different just be careful speak with Dr when you next go to out patients

it’s obviously very detrimental to your health :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

the first one stunted your growth

and the second one made you talk like a Mackem :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

*now runs and hides in a very dark secluded place

shuttlespanker:

animal:
I have fractured my skull twice 1st dont remember anything about as was 8 do know how long in hospital or anything

2nd was done while ice skating was in hospital over night nowt serious & has not affected me at all after that went on to gain full bike licence & have a cat C

Hope this helps but all are different just be careful speak with Dr when you next go to out patients

it’s obviously very detrimental to your health :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

the first one stunted your growth

and the second one made you talk like a Mackem :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

*now runs and hides in a very dark secluded place

Think you should with a comment like that

You obviously not heard a Makem speak then :unamused: :unamused:

cieranc:

Winseer:
Take the doctor-advised R&R until fully recovered. If the firm decides to put you on zero pay, then add it to the claim you make for “unfair treatment” whilst undergoing the recovery process.

No one should be penalised for having had an accident, especially one involving a head injury for a C+E driver.

Too many people push themselves to work whilst unfit, and should they then have a further accident on duty, they have no leg to stand on, whilst the employer laughs all the way to the bank, since you’ve voided your own cover by working against medical advice.

I was refering to one’s normal sick pay and conditions in whatever employment applies. I had a head & neck injury (concussion and hangman’s fracture) whilst employed full time, and got put on “pay from pension pot” which was worse than nothing, as it reduced my pension, but provided enough of an “income” of my own money to disqualify me from getting SSP and other benefits during the recuperation period. I felt this was bang out of order, as the offending equipment causing the injury was later withdrawn at numerous yards nationwide, thus completely exonerating me of any blame for my own accident, and recognising the faulty gear being to blame instead.

I ended up nearly £4k out of pocket, and litigated to get it back, with damages for the actual injuries on top. I won the case, but it did take over 5 years to get the money. The pension hole was not re-plugged however, as it was already “closed to new members” at the time, meaning I could not re-insert funds back in. In time, I’ll probably lose a lot more than £4k I’m guessing. :frowning:

There is also a movement in the workplace now for firms like ATOS and Schlumberger to pass people as “fit” when their GP has signed them off sick. In my view this is a VERY serious conflict of interest, as you’ve got one company payrolled Doctor effectively over-ruling and declaring void the findings of a standing GP.
This is an example of another kind of “unfair treatment” that one might find themselves in at work, following an accident such as a head injury. I’ve seen people forced back to work by these payrolled quacks, people who then die a short time later. No connections get made, no action is ever taken, and it damned well STINKS! :angry:
In my book, if a quack overrules a GP, forces someone back to work, and then they die on duty, either from “complications”, or even another accident then said quack should be struck off, and a huge payment should be made to the bereaved family without further quibble. Even the worker’s private life insurance may NOT pay out, using “going against one’s own GP’s advice” as an “out” from paying up. :imp:

Saaamon:
keep quiet.

yeah why not then something bad happen and people get seriously hurt or even killed :unamused: :unamused:

If you suffer a head injury requiring in patient treatment at hospital you have to inform by law the DVLA.

If you don’t and get found out, you could find yourself in big trouble…

Harsh but I’d tell them - you could find yourself driving without insurance cover if you don’t and they find out.

Truckulent:
If you suffer a head injury requiring in patient treatment at hospital you have to inform by law the DVLA.

Harsh but I’d tell them - you could find yourself driving without insurance cover if you don’t and they find out.

tell em nowt.

limeyphil:

Truckulent:

tell em nowt.

Yes, but…should you have an serious accident in future - you could find yourself in big trouble…

Unprofessional not informing them, although I can see why not doing is very tempting. They are, after all, a bit of a waste of space.

Depends how much you like living dangerously i suppose! :wink:

Winseer:

cieranc:

Winseer:

I was refering to one’s normal sick pay and conditions in whatever employment applies. I had a head & neck injury (concussion and hangman’s fracture) whilst employed full time, and got put on “pay from pension pot” which was worse than nothing, as it reduced my pension, but provided enough of an “income” of my own money to disqualify me from getting SSP and other benefits during the recuperation period. I felt this was bang out of order, as the offending equipment causing the injury was later withdrawn at numerous yards nationwide, thus completely exonerating me of any blame for my own accident, and recognising the faulty gear being to blame instead.

I ended up nearly £4k out of pocket, and litigated to get it back, with damages for the actual injuries on top. I won the case, but it did take over 5 years to get the money. The pension hole was not re-plugged however, as it was already “closed to new members” at the time, meaning I could not re-insert funds back in. In time, I’ll probably lose a lot more than £4k I’m guessing. :frowning:

There is also a movement in the workplace now for firms like ATOS and Schlumberger to pass people as “fit” when their GP has signed them off sick. In my view this is a VERY serious conflict of interest, as you’ve got one company payrolled Doctor effectively over-ruling and declaring void the findings of a standing GP.
This is an example of another kind of “unfair treatment” that one might find themselves in at work, following an accident such as a head injury. I’ve seen people forced back to work by these payrolled quacks, people who then die a short time later. No connections get made, no action is ever taken, and it damned well STINKS! :angry:
In my book, if a quack overrules a GP, forces someone back to work, and then they die on duty, either from “complications”, or even another accident then said quack should be struck off, and a huge payment should be made to the bereaved family without further quibble. Even the worker’s private life insurance may NOT pay out, using “going against one’s own GP’s advice” as an “out” from paying up. :imp:

Are you a politician?
Claim for unfair treatment against who?

Winseer:
I ended up nearly £4k out of pocket, and litigated to get it back, with damages for the actual injuries on top. I won the case, but it did take over 5 years to get the money. The pension hole was not re-plugged however, as it was already “closed to new members” at the time, meaning I could not re-insert funds back in. In time, I’ll probably lose a lot more than £4k I’m guessing:

£4000 will buy a pension of about £250 a year (less tax) if that’s any help.

Hope you get better soon mate, i was off the road for about 7-8 months with a 4th nerve palsy which meant i had double vision in my right eye every time i looked to the right. I have my C&E i went to the hospital had mri scan, lumbar puncture i did tell the DVLA about it and they took me off the road. It was tough at first being out of work but the problem cleared up, and now am back to work doing what i enjoy. If i knew the DVLA were going to be as bad as they were i would of kept quiet and not said anything.

You have to remember that if you dont say anything and you have an accident and they find out then your screwed.

Good luck :smiley:

You’ve got to inform DVLA, as the losses to your income resulting from the withdrawal of one’s licence then go on to represent the now proven losses that one might try to claim back in court.
A loss might NOT occur, if the firm decides to employ you with full overtime & driver’s pay & bonuses whilst you’re on “R&R Duties” whilst you attend the workplace while temporarily disqualifed. In practice, some firms will pay you a flat wage and the driver allowance thinking that this represents zero loss, but of course when you’re normally pumping the overtime, and now you’re not, there still IS a large loss from being “off driving” for a few weeks.

If you keep quiet, then as far as DVLA is concerned, they either don’t know (so you can’t claim jack!) or they find out (so you lose your insurance cover, and land in the crapper as well!)

Drivers might be encouraged by the system to “brush it all under the carpet”, but the only possible loser in the long run is the driver!

Fear of being taken off driving for something like 6 weeks should not encourage people to be false, and land themselves into actual trouble. They are the victim in all this firstmost.
“DVLA AWARE” on your otherwise clean licence is NOT an endorsement. It didn’t even go against me come my 45 medical some 4 years on…

You don’t have to be a politician to refuse to be pushed around by the “you gotta have the nuts to call THIS” crap that society throws at you day after day.
Life is various shades of grey, and very rarely black and white - ever! :unamused:

If you talk any of the advice that is telling you to say nothing you really do need your head seeing too AGAIN !

So lets assume you listen to these fools and then you have a serious accident whilst driving. The police will without doubt get to find out about your undisclosed head injury and they will go for you for dangerous driving. That CAN and in such circumstances I wager WOULD land you with a prison sentence.

You are a professional driver, my advice is act like one and don’t whatever you do listen to fools on here telling you to risk your life and liberty.

iDriver:
If you talk any of the advice that is telling you to say nothing you really do need your head seeing too AGAIN !

So lets assume you listen to these fools and then you have a serious accident whilst driving. The police will without doubt get to find out about your undisclosed head injury and they will go for you for dangerous driving. That CAN and in such circumstances I wager WOULD land you with a prison sentence.

You are a professional driver, my advice is act like one and don’t whatever you do listen to fools on here telling you to risk your life and liberty.

How would you feel if you had an accident and someone died? Knowing you should have reported it…

As above really.

I wondered how long before trucknet drama queens would start.

Winseer:
Fear of being taken off driving for something like 6 weeks should not encourage people to be false

Six weeks :open_mouth:… your having a laugh, once the DVLA medical department get their hooks into you it’ll be six months if your lucky :frowning:, and then you’ll be under the spotlight for years if not for ever.

Ignore the advice on here, you’ve got to listen to what your GP says. If he/she wants to bubble you up to the DVLA then you’ll have to go with it :frowning:, if in their opinion they say theres no need and you feel right enough and agree then onward :sunglasses:

Erm… you’re arguing against the wrong poster - I was saying that one SHOULD declare, and get your DVLA record to show “DVLA AWARE” with regards to one’s medical history.
NOT doing so leaves you wide open for a whole world of trouble!

In my case, DVLA were made aware by my own GP, and any medications I’m on remain on file. Narcolepsy and Epilepsy are the main conditions that one’s licence might be revoked for, but neither of those applied to myself. Thus, years later, I’ve passed another medical and still hold a spotless licence. :grimacing:

if the guy dosn’t inform DVLA, does it mean he will get in the driving seat and kill someone? no.
it means his GP will tell him when he’s ok to drive. an even then it will mean he will drive when he feels fit enough.
not when some civil servant that he’s never met decides it’s time for him to drive.
i’ve never heard so much crap. has anyone ever been sent to prison for failing to inform DVLA about a head injury?