Hazard perception fail (scored 66 three times in a row)

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I recently took both parts of my cat C theory test and scored 95 out of 100 on the multiple choice part on my first attempt. However the same test centre have failed me 3 times in a row on the hazard perception part, with a score of 66 (1 mark below the pass mark) every time.

My question is, should I be concerned that there is some sort of “qouta” of failures that they require, or am I just being exceptionally unlucky? The likelyhood of scoring 66 everytime seems to me too be so incredibly small and my instructor said he found it “absolutely staggering”.

I have never failed any of the hazard perception practice tests btw.

Welcome :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about the tests although the idea of a ‘quota of fails’ has always been associated with the practical test and has been proved incorrect and I’d say it would be the same here :frowning:

Thanks for your reply.

I’m just stuck in that situation of not knowing what to do now, as I have exhausted all of the pratice DVD’s.

My instructor even suggested placing a small bet at the bookies that I will score 66 on my next attempt. :laughing:

I feel for you mate, i too Passed all my practice hazzard perception tests all were in the 90’s!! But come to the actual test at the test centre i FAILED it twice in a row (66, 64) i thought to myself what the hell is going on!! The test was easy but for some reason i was failing!! maybe i was seeing the hazard to early ect. I felt the test was a joke to be honest. I PASSED on my 3rd attempt, got 80 that time. Dont click to little or only once when you see the hazzard, but then again dont click too many times as they will score you 0 for the clip as i found out myself. I think there is something quite not right about the test scoring system :neutral_face:

I wish you luck.

EDIT

Also i noticed the practice dvds happen alot faster ect, come to the test it’s all slowed down and “staged”, that’s maybe what threw us off abit, definate that there judgement of a hazzard and where it begins is different of that of the training dvd’s and myself!!

Hi Spesh, I sat my HPT this morning just scaping by with 71 and I’m a driving instructor who would have been dead if my hazard perception was not up to scatch. I’ve been an instructor for 10 years and driving 22 years, I got accused of cheating on the double scoring hazard for clicking too close together “I think”.

I scored 98 on my truck theory test sat last friday, and was scoring far higher than 71 on the HPT practice disc nearer 90 the hpt test is a bit of an unrealistic joke most experience drivers click way too soon.

I wish I had the answer but it seems those who know better think I’m a CHEAT.

Spesh:
Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I recently took both parts of my cat C theory test and scored 95 out of 100 on the multiple choice part. However the same test centre have failed me 3 times in a row on the hazard perception part, with a score of 66 (1 mark below the pass mark) every time.

My question is, should I be concerned that there is some sort of “qouta” of failures that they require, or am I just being exceptionally unlucky? The likelyhood of scoring 66 everytime seems to me too be so incredibly small and my instructor said he found it “absolutely staggering”.

Hi Spesh,

This was going to be my first question…

Spesh:
I have never failed any of the hazard perception practice tests btw.

… but since you’ve already answered it, what would you say is your average score in the practice HP tests?

For your other questions, I tend to agree with your instructor about being staggered by scoring 66 three times in a row. :exclamation:
There isn’t really a quota of fails because the whole system is electronic, so you either hit the required score or you don’t.

At a guess, I’d say that it’s possible that you’re clicking either too fast, or too slowly.
The trick with the HP test is that you need to differentiate between a developing hazard, and a hazard that doesn’t develop.
A non-developing hazard only needs one click (to show that you’ve spotted it,) whereas a developing hazard needs several clicks as it develops.

I hope that helps. :smiley:

Thanks again for all the quick replies. On the practice DVD’s i would say I’m averaging about 85.

When I failed the first time, my instructor suggested that I click the mouse 3 times (in quick succession) for each developing hazard that I see, to ensure that I’m not clicking too early and that I am scoring within the allowed window. Not once has the system given me a score of zero on any clip.

To put it bluntly, I just find this part of the test ridiculous. I have been driving an ordinary car for a decade (as well as Luton vans almost every weekend) without any incidents. I would’ve thought that to be enough to prove my ability to perceive hazards (particularly as I already had to pass a HP for this anyway). The test seems more like a computer game to me…a very, very hard one.

Also I was under the impression that it was only clicking for the developing hazards that resulted in any form of score being given?

mrpj:

Sorry to hear about the tests although the idea of a ‘quota of fails’ has always been associated with the practical test and has been proved incorrect and I’d say it would be the same here :frowning:

dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott … -22589024/

dd.

Please watch for a PM.

Spesh:
Also I was under the impression that it was only clicking for the developing hazards that resulted in any form of score being given?

Correct, i agree this test is a joke, if you have been a car driver for years then i think this test should be thrown out as i agree we know about hazzards and how to avoid them ect as we have putten that into practice on the real roads. Just keep trying you will pass sooner or later, but those £15 test fee’s soon add up, what can be a cheap test turns into a big expense if you have to retake it multiple times.

Thanks for the reply Redrorry, although that document only appears to pertain to the practical part of the test?

Spesh:
Thanks for the reply Redrorry, although that document only appears to pertain to the practical part of the test?

The reply was in relation to mrpj’s post about practical quotas.

It’s called variance and a few examiners over the years have blown the whistle and been “settled” to shut them up.

Redrorry:

Spesh:

The reply was in relation to mrpj’s post about practical quotas.

It’s called variance and a few examiners over the years have blown the whistle and been “settled” to shut them up.

Oh, I see.

Sorry to here that you failed your test but dont think it is due to quote although I passed mine just over 2 years ago dont think it has changed that much since then but I found it a bit of a joke as well tbh due to passing my bike test over 25years ago

My son also passed his HPT test which was the same as mine he did his for his bike

I do know that they have approx 6 different test that you can do some easier than others so it may be something to do with this

Hope you pass soon

Welcome to the madhouse :laughing:

Redrorry:

mrpj:

dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott … -22589024/

dd.

Please watch for a PM.

Here’s all the varification you need.

(Of which I was a founder union member). ( Of which I am a member).

Forum Rule #6:
What happens on other sites stays on other sites so posting another sites business on this site is also not allowed.

Your original content is still unverified, so a second breach of forum rules won’t justify your first breach.
Please await a PM.
WARNING:
Please read our forum guidelines and post within the rules, otherwise the topic will be locked.

I guess I’ll just have to re-book and hope that it goes better next time then.

One thing I would like to add is that not only do I find the implementation of the HPT pointless for people who are already experienced road users, the DSA doesn’t seem to have done anything to update the test or make it specific to LGV drivers. I’m saying this based on the fact that from memory some of the clips shown were the same as the ones I had on my standard car test (namely, the clip where the man seems to be trying to get a dishwasher out of the side of a van, in the middle of a residential road).

Also many of the video clips took place on narrow, single track roads where you would never expect to drive an LGV. Would it not make more sense to use video clips of “A” roads, dual carriageways and motorways etc, in the HP part of the LGV test?

Sorry diesel, feels like I’ve just been run over by a 44 tonner. :smiley: Think I’m still annoyed that I was accused of cheating on my HPT test, or clicking inappropriately as the DSA put it. Makes me sound like some demented cricket. :laughing:

Redrorry:
Sorry diesel, feels like I’ve just been run over by a 44 tonner. :smiley: Think I’m still annoyed that I was accused of cheating on my HPT test, or clicking inappropriately as the DSA put it. Makes me sound like some demented cricket. :laughing:

Hi Redrorry,

I can fully understand your annoyance at being accused of cheating on you HPT.

IMHO, they’ve got a cheek to even mention that word unless they can prove it. If that were me, I’d be hopping mad about it too.

Spesh:
Also many of the video clips took place on narrow, single track roads where you would never expect to drive an LGV.

You’d be surprised at where you’re sometimes expected to go :smiley:

mrpj:

Spesh:
Also many of the video clips took place on narrow, single track roads where you would never expect to drive an LGV.

You’d be surprised at where you’re sometimes expected to go :smiley:

Yeh I see what you are saying and I agree with you. But the point I was trying to make is that they haven’t even attempted to make an LGV specific HPT. The clips are just all the same as the standard car test, which strikes me as a bit odd.