Hazard perception fail (scored 66 three times in a row)

Spesh:
Yeh I see what you are saying and I agree with you. But the point I was trying to make is that they haven’t even attempted to make an LGV specific HPT. The clips are just all the same as the standard car test, which strikes me as a bit odd.

Agreed mate!!

IIRC, the HPT has stayed pretty samey ever since it was introduced.

My own thoughts on this are that a hazard is a hazard and it either develops or it doesn’t develop, no matter what type of vehicle you’re driving.

IMHO, you might be looking to far into the test itself, and possibly missing out on how to pass. :wink:

dieseldave:
IMHO, you might be looking to far into the test itself, and possibly missing out on how to pass. :wink:

Ok I’ll take that on board. Although bare in mind I have already had to pass this test once (the main reason it’s even more frustrating that I have to do it again!!).

As I said both myself & my son took the same HPT test the only difference was he was doing his for a bike licence I was doing it for HGV so it is the same no matter hat test you are taking but agree it should be but the cost involved well :unamused: :unamused:

hi I totally agree with ya this hazard perception test is a load of cack… just another way the DSA scams money ( AS we all passed the basic required standard to drive cars then shouldn’t we all already know what the hazards are on the roads what differs from driving a hgv ? cyclist are still their , moron drivers are always their, people randomnly stepping out into the middle of the road are still their )…

I passed mine by clicking 3 times in succession on each clip for potential hazards.e.g click , wait a sec …click ,wait a sec… then click
I noticed if i didnt click more than 12 times on a clip then the hazard scernario doesn’t become void for over clicking …
it seems if you click only once and too early into the developing hazard on a scenario you might get 0 points for the clip, but if you clip on a hazard in 3 times in succession then you at least get some points for each scenario in the HP test. The marking on the scenarios works on a time-line theory at certain points you get 5 points for a click as the hazard progresses the points dip down but if you click 3 times your bound to get some points along the scale.
Oh also Dont forget some clips have 2 potential hazards but overall… if you don’t go clicking crazy and do more than 12 clicks on a scenario you’ll breeze through it.
the blokes at the test centre noticed what i was doing but didn’t say nowt about it obviously they new i had it sussed and was abusing the system but were powerless to do anything … :smiley:
I passed mine with a score of 86 most clips I scored 5’s and 4’s on almost all scenarios … got 0 points on one clip because I clicked more than 13 times on the scenario … but who cares a pass is a pass at the end of the day … in no way does doing this HP test make me a better driver or have more road awareness than anyone else .
hope this is useful to any of ya struggling with it…

Hi spesh, amazing score you had 66x3 in a row :open_mouth: , I never did think much about the hpt, it always amazed me to think that they used the same hazards sinarios for all there vehicle tests irrispective of type of vehicle, car, bike, truck, & size, weight, loaded or not etc etc etc :confused: :unamused: Maybe count a second between clicks & go back on your practise veiwer to see what parts on the score markers you acctualy covered, do you know when you’ll take it again :question: & welcome :smiley:

Hi Spesh,

I agree with you about hpt as people have already said click more than once and i found if i just held back a fraction of a second i managed to score thats the problem if you have been driving for a while you see the hazzards before the computer expects you to as i think these hpt tests are designed for people who have never driven to give them some insight into driving on the road good idea if you havent driven before but a nightmare for people already used to looking for hazzards in their own day to day driving !!!

Good luck with the retest hope you pass

Jennie x

Jennie has it about right IME. I was surprised how much things have advanced (theory as well as hazard tests) when I took my “Class 2” last year, having last taken a driving test 30 years before. I only just passed the HPT by 1 point and believe experienced drivers are penalised by seeing potential hazards all over the place (again IME). I recall a couple of scenes where I considered there were at least 3 hazards (I thought there were supposed to be 2 max), one with sheep on the road and another with 2 lanes of traffic, someone in the wrong lane, car door opening etc. Also there was one with a motorbike a long way down the (largely empty) road where I could tell it would probably be coming over to my side of the road to pass a parked car by the time I reached there so I considered that a developing hazard - WRONG, so I believe.

Where this leaves the OP I dunno but I expect the system expects you not to consider these potential hazards till later.

As a driver of high value, fragile loads that require an uneventful journey and an absolute, never grown up, should be dead by now, nutter motorcyclist, I can assure you that anyone who is not drugged or blind would also fail the HPT. Put it this way, if you waited to react until the moment they expect you to on the test, you would have a lot of shot loads, wrecked trucks and be on first name terms with your insurance claims department staff.
However, just like when you passed your car test, you are doing just that, learning how they want you do it to pass a test, not how to drive afterwards. Now whilst most on here will argue, quite correctly IMO, that the two ends should be the same, unfortunately, they are miles apart, so I wouldn’t feel sad or inadequate about it if I was you, I would recommend that you put your brain into the ■■■■■■ mode that seems to be the required state to work to their standards.
Good luck, hope it works out worth the effort and cost.

I think the hazard perception test is ridiculous because it’s just not the same as being on the road. Be as calm as possible and you shouldn’t click too early and miss points, and it’s better to go click click click so you don’t click too many times. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the replies. I’ve got a re-test booked for tomorrow, so I’ll let you know how it goes.

Finally, after 3 previous attempts passed this morning with a score of 74.

I’ve come to the conclusion that in order to pass this part of the test, you almost have to verge on what the system would deem to be “cheating” by clicking about 5 times for each developing hazard. Complete waste of time test IMO. But at least it’s out of the way now.

Spesh:
Finally, after 3 previous attempts passed this morning with a score of 74.

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your HPT :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

Spesh:
I’ve come to the conclusion that in order to pass this part of the test, you almost have to verge on what the system would deem to be “cheating” by clicking about 5 times for each developing hazard. Complete waste of time test IMO. But at least it’s out of the way now.

That’s exactly what I was trying to explain in my last post to you, sorry if I didn’t make myself clear. :blush: :blush:
You didn’t cheat, because what you did is exactly what you’re supposed to do. :wink: :grimacing:

I knew you’d get there in the end!! :smiley:

Cheers mate.

Yeh I thought that was what you were getting at.

Well done :smiley:

easy when ya now how… well done mate… :smiley:

Well done on passing your HPT - got there in the end :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well done

Well done Spesh, now you have passed your will have new perceptionary powers beyond your dreams. When I passed the test I have found that I can see through walls like superman or it could just be the “medication”. :laughing:

Congratulations and well done

Jennie x

Thanks for all the kind replies.

This forum really is a very welcoming place.