Have you ever worked on Christmas Day?

In previous lives I have worked on Christmas Day, I was a chef for a few years after I left school, then a taxi driver but I have also had Christmas Day in the truck, I did 700km on Christmas Day one year in the 1990s, although it was just a normal working day where I was.

Anyone else worked Christmas Day?

I’ve worked lunch time behind the bar at my local clubover 25 yrs ago that was good fun as I got half cut for free then went home to Xmas dinner, done that about 3 Xmas’s on the trot .

Yes quite a few times driving coaches. 3 trips to Lourdes, one skiing and one when I worked in London. I’ve only ever worked one Christmas in the truck, my first Christmas for Virginia and I spent the day in a closed Spanish truckstop. To be honest far and away one of the most depressing days of my life and since then I always go home to my parents for Christmas. It was double trip money back then so for that one 9 day trip I earned about £2000 but won’t be doing it again.

yep, when i was doing recovery work i worked Christmas so i could have new year off. had one job on Christmas eve which ended up dropping off 5 minutes away from a good friend. several hours, many cups of tea and a bucket full of mince pies we realised it was half 2 in the morning and i went home. no work on the actual day tho.

Never worked it but have been asked to . The offer was a day in lieu and an extra 80 quid :confused:

Guess my reply :laughing: :laughing:

Back in '97 I worked as a labourer helping to repaint the footbridge on Ipswich station. Did 6am - 6pm Christmas day and boxing day and got £20 hr after tax. Did a short Saturday night a couple of weeks later and pocketed £535 for the whole job.

Wouldn’t do it now but I was just about to get married and was renovating my first house so the money was unreal. Plus missus was working nights in the Police so still had a couple of hours together.

been out gritting on quite a few christmas days ,have now given it up after some 16 years ,as i am on call every other week with a jcb where i currently work ,much easier as if i work all night i have the next day off ,unlike when gritting
will be on call this christmas , hopefully there will be no bursts like the one this morning :laughing:

burst 002.JPG

I once had to wash up after the xmas dinner, never again :imp:

Yes I have twice, spent the week in Germany and did a prototype car to a show on Boxing day which involved loading Christmas day. It wasn’t a big problem as I was living in the truck anyway and had a microwave Turkey lunch for one before I set off :laughing:

I also worked in Africa too as Christmas was not so popular with the locals :stuck_out_tongue:

did a few christmas day shifts at network rail paid at treble time and day in lieu :smiley:

shall be working crimbo eve, crimbo day and boxing day this year as thats how the new roster has fallen but its double time and days in lieu and im only on call rather than having to go into work :smiley:

I worked christmas eve/christmas day morning for 7 years in a row 93-00 (also inc boxing night and new years eve all combined) as a nightclub doorman ,although i wouldn’t really call it work talking to attractive inebriated young ladeeeez. :wink:

Did a couple, taking out old railway bridges and bringing in the new ones… always paid well, :grimacing: :grimacing:

Out of 14 years on the oil rigs. I worked 11 cimbo’s and 9 new years. (In hindsight, this may kinda explain 2 divorces :smiley: )

The most memorable crimbo offshore was working for Rowan Drilling. We had an OIM (gaffer) that you could set your clock too. At 6am the blinds of the office would open so he could see what was happening on the rig.

So at 6am one crimbo, 4 of us (3 roughnecks and derrickman) stood in the ‘V’ door giving a moony to the office with “IT IS XM AS” pasted in pipe dope (Similar to 5th wheel grease) on our ■■■■ cheeks.

Well I spent 6 hours sweeping snow off the heli-deck in the driving snow and winds… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

2 years on the trot driving milk tankers, jacked it in before the 3rd one, very well paid and a day in lieu for it but I had little kids at the time so not on.

Did 15 in a row when in the fire service, although most were just “on call” so was at home on pager. Had one particularly nasty Christmas day when a woman driver went into the back of another car, and her car burst into flames, found it hard to swallow the turkey after that one. :frowning:
Worked last year, as missus was working, £40 ph 12 hour shift and nobody else wanted to do it! Was doing trailer shuttles between sites about 10 miles apart, only did two all day, rest of the time in the bunk!

Yep, quite a few from when I was working in hotels and then as a publican in the late 70’s early 80’s and worked some, and been ‘weekended’ away, as a driver.

nope…and never will :slight_smile:

i think those that are have a family or somewhere to go but getting excited about the money instead is very sad.

now im a big family man and would never work xmas day or boxing day for any amount of money ffs it and those that work christmas. sad sad sad comes to mind.

those that are on their own fair enough but i could never imagine working christmas and never will.

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Was on maintenance in a power station,and one of my shifts fell on Christmas day.Felt a bit strange,but someone has to do it.Driving wise,did an Austria for Christmas on the coaches,but only because SWMBO could come with me(20% discount :open_mouth: )Was ok,had a great time once I got the ice and snow from down my back putting snowchains on and off :cry:

Yes and got a ticking off from the law for doing 48 on the A5, I think he was lonely too! :laughing: :laughing: