Have you ever seen a more desperate job advert than this?

The founder of the company is no longer on the scene as the scenario goes, the imbecile entitled up his own backside of a son now runs the outfit.

The best thing is the whole thing is bought up by someone who knows one end of a truck.

They say it takes three generation, one to build it, one to expand it and one to fark it up

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

There was a company who advertised (internally) a £250 referral bonus for any of their current employees who could refer a new driver to them…Obviously the newly hired driver would have to complete a certain number of weeks with the company for the bonus to be claimable (2 or 4 weeks, not sure). That reeked of desperation.

Looks like they signed on the dotted line for a big new contract and figured they would worry about getting bums on seats later.

Honestly, the advert makes Jack Richards look like a bit of a cruddy outfit & if I was an existing JR driver it’d be a worry. The almost guarantee of passing the assessment shows they have abandoned any standards & are taking a sprint in the race to the bottom…

robroy:
Quite surprised really, I always had Jack Richards down as an old school type reputable firm, that would have a good bunch of long term ‘proper drivers’ and the type of outfit who would not employ dregs, but would be quite selective.

They were, but then Jack passed away and the job changed literally overnight when the other family members took leadership.

Sent from the world we live in

ETS:
There was a company who advertised (internally) a £250 referral bonus for any of their current employees who could refer a new driver to them…Obviously the newly hired driver would have to complete a certain number of weeks with the company for the bonus to be claimable (2 or 4 weeks, not sure). That reeked of desperation.

If I worked there, I’d be tempted to take all 4 weeks holiday in one go, then refer myself to them for those 4 weeks.

Anyway, I saw something that made me chuckle a few years ago. On the back doors of a Jack Richerds motor, where it said “you’re following on of the best”, somebody had scrawled into the dirt “whatever you say, Jack”.

claretmatt:
http://www.indeed.co.uk/viewjob?from=appsharedroid&jk=412de94944debe61

Basically they will bend over backwards and say anything to get your bum on the seat.

“Quick start 8 to 10 hours” is my favourite (Wouldn’t 8 hours be running bent?!)

Unbelievable scenes

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

I like that part too, but even better:

'Quick Start 'within 8-10 hours from first contact (inc. assessment/interview and home induction you can then start driving the big yellow lorry).

YOU CAN THEN START DRIVING THE YELLOW LORRY
Hopeless [emoji849][emoji15] and Desperate

ETS:

Depends obviously on the company and what their culture and pay/Ts & Cs are like, but it can make sense. It costs money to place an ad, then to sift through it for likely candidates, ring them, set up interviews and then have to decide which one and then let the others know they haven’t been successful and interviews rarely tell you much about what they are going to be like once they are loose on the road.

If a driver you trust says X is OK, then you ask them to come in and meet and hopefully that is it. We only have staff through recommendation here.

Though I’ve never paid :wink:

The trouble is Norfolk is a low paid area with a lot of agricultural jobs and food factories. It’s just not an area you go to for high wages.

albion:

ETS:

Depends obviously on the company and what their culture and pay/Ts & Cs are like, but it can make sense. It costs money to place an ad, then to sift through it for likely candidates, ring them, set up interviews and then have to decide which one and then let the others know they haven’t been successful and interviews rarely tell you much about what they are going to be like once they are loose on the road.

If a driver you trust says X is OK, then you ask them to come in and meet and hopefully that is it. We only have staff through recommendation here.

Though I’ve never paid :wink:

This ^^^

We get a referral at my place but I’d onky recommend mates that I know want the job and fan do the job. Otherwise it starts to look bad on me.

Besides £250 Is cheap when an agency will charge/will lock in for is it 12 weeks on average? If they take on a driver full time via an agency…

DJC:

Assessments to be carried-out (99.8 % pass rate )

So let me get this straight, out of every 500 drivers who go on a driving assessment, only 1 fails. That’s pretty frightening given the amount of spanners with a license.

It actually works out at 1 in a 1,000 or even higher than that so basically turn up alive you have passed the rigorous assessment!!

It’ll be interesting to see what you have to do to fail one.

I’m looking at doing one or two days for them a week along with what I do now. Contacted them and told them who I was and what I did and was asked to go along for a chat.
All my drivers details were checked and I did a one hour driving assessment which was to hook up to a trailer followed by a drive and then unhook the trailer after a reverse explaining what I was doing and why as I went along.
Next was a Highway Code and maths test and then using a map I had to write down the best routes from point A to B I.e. a town outside of London to a place in Scotland or Wales etc.
Then an informal chat asking what I was looking at doing shift wise.
I found all the staff friendly and helpful, and the place was well run and clean. The kit is also excellent and spotless.
They have an on line video which they send you and you go through with a test at the end of each segment. You get paid for this.
Then back in on another day (again paid) for a 3 hour input of more videos about correct strapping of different loads and other safety points. Shown around the site and then shown the workings of the cabs and each trailer used by them.
So from my own experience I found them and continue to find them very professional.
If a trailer has a small tear, you don’t take it. Simple as that.
I’ve been to a couple of other companies who’s inductions were no where near as professional as that.
Yes the advert comes across as desperate but the people I saw were very good.

Casper68:
I’m looking at doing one or two days for them a week along with what I do now. Contacted them and told them who I was and what I did and was asked to go along for a chat.
All my drivers details were checked and I did a one hour driving assessment which was to hook up to a trailer followed by a drive and then unhook the trailer after a reverse explaining what I was doing and why as I went along.
Next was a Highway Code and maths test and then using a map I had to write down the best routes from point A to B I.e. a town outside of London to a place in Scotland or Wales etc.
Then an informal chat asking what I was looking at doing shift wise.
I found all the staff friendly and helpful, and the place was well run and clean. The kit is also exerlent and spotless.
They have an on line video which they send you and you go through with a test at the end of each segment. You get paid for this.
Then back in on another day (again paid) for a 3 hour input of more videos about correct strapping of different loads and other safety points. Shown around the site and then shown the workings of the cabs and each trailer used by them.
So from my own experience I found them and continue to find them very professional.
If a trailer has a small tear, you don’t take it. Simple as that.
I’ve been to a couple of other companies who’s inductions were no where near as professional as that.
Yes the advert comes across as desperate but the people I saw were very good.

Can’t believe 98% could do that ;0)

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

bald bloke:

DJC:

So let me get this straight, out of every 500 drivers who go on a driving assessment, only 1 fails. That’s pretty frightening given the amount of spanners with a license.

It actually works out at 1 in a 1,000 or even higher than that so basically turn up alive you have passed the rigorous assessment!!

It’ll be interesting to see what you have to do to fail one.

No, if only 1 in 1000 fail that would be a 99.9% pass rate. The pass rate quoted is 99.8%, which does indeed work out to 1in 500 failing.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

These firms must spend a lot on advertising the jobs. I what % of applications really want to do the job , living in a tin can or unsociable shifts and how many just see it as a means to an end and if offered something better would be gone in a shot. Even out of the ones who think they want it how many leave for better things.

mrginge:
27.5k for 6on/6off could work fine for some.

What we can take from that is as long as you don’t write off the truck in that 20min period you got a job :sunglasses:

Do you get the feeling the OP failed?? :smiley:

halewood:

mrginge:
27.5k for 6on/6off could work fine for some.

What we can take from that is as long as you don’t write off the truck in that 20min period you got a job :sunglasses:

Do you get the feeling the OP failed?? :smiley:

Ha ha, no.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

If you fail there you won’t have to travel to far to find another low paid job in Norfolk.

My last firm had a referal system in place. The TM wouldn’t entertain anyone that didn’t have a reference from someone working at the company already. It was a largely coveted job on the dock but the TM left as I joined and seemed to take all that with him. Last time I heard, they lost 15 drivers in a month! It seems the management were waiting to get that TM out the door because things started to change very quickly. All the good jobs starting get lost to sub-contractors, they actually started to advertise for drivers which up until that point had been unheard off as the TM always had a stack of application forms on his desk which he didn’t bother with. The drivers moral dropped and turned very quickly into a us/VS/them between drivers and the office. Agency workers sent out in brand new motors, even before the assigned driver got his hands on the truck.

Its another case of once the main man is out of the way, the vultures swoop in and rip the company apart. They don’t care who drives for them, they just want the work done. At any cost by the looks of things.

Radar19:
Agency workers sent out in brand new motors, even before the assigned driver got his hands on the truck.

HERESY!!! “his hands on his truck” - fixed