Have we got a class system?

Hi all,
haven’t been on for a while but something I’ve noticed over the last 12 months. I used to drive units & trailers but I’m now on the old class 3. I like the job as I’m home more & only deliver for the company.
When I started 20yrs ago everyone flashed every other truck driver in, flashed the indicaters as a thank-you, waved out the window for pulling out to the second lane, I think you get my drift?
I now find no one hardly flashes me in or any of the above, why? I know every truck driver is under pressure these days but come on what does it take to flash, wave etc. Are we getting lazy or just plain ignorant?
I passed an artic on the A1 last week & I was sure I’d left him plenty of room, put the left indi on looked in my mirror waited for a flash (no flash came) & pulled across. The driver drifted to his left & gave me a long flash! I know the length of my truck, I’m sure I left him at least 2 car lengths! If I was in my old truck I would bet he would have flashed me in! I find this on every run I do class1 flash class1 in etc. I let other truck drivers out at junctions etc, not even a wave of thanks. Does anyone else find this in these stressful times?

all the best,

DAF

Who’s gonna tell him? :unamused: :grimacing:

Yes I’ve noticed it, when I started out driving 13 & 15t rigids I didn’t exist, days with an 18 tonner might get some sort of recognition. Things changed instantly when I drove 8 wheelers, all of sudden loads of drivers were flashing. a brief spell on scrap metal bins driving a doggy old 4 wheeler and an even worse 8 and I was like the scum of the earth. Now I’m somewhere in the middle with a hard working 6 or on the odd days with the artic it’s like being in Blackpool.

Odd but there you go, the bigger / tidier the motor the more you seem to get flashed in / out etc.

I’ve also wondered about this in the past but now I’m driving artic’s I understand a bit better; 7.5t or class 3 drivers regularly pull back in without waiting for a flash, often missing me by about 2feet and I’ve found myself not bothering anymore because of this- if they crawl past and get to a distance in front that I feel is safe I flash them in, same with vans but that’s about it.

Other artic’s, myself included, usually wait to be flashed back in which I feel is the safest option- we all (most) know the length of our vehicles but why not wait until the driver you overtook feels they have a safe stopping distance? What if you’d ■■■■■■ up, hit a motorbike you hadn’t seen and slammed on? Could he stop? Of course you don’t know for sure.

I don’t mean this is the case with the o.p. But it may be worth a try, leave it a bit longer and see if you get flashed more often.

I don’t think it’s entirely a class thing, there may be a minority with that attitude though. People as a whole are less courteous than in years gone by, sad but true I’m afraid.

whilst i agree with some of the replies i’d like to add that maybe it has a lot to do with the sheer volume of trucks on the road these days, years ago being a truck driver felt a little elitist and there was certainly more camaraderie, these days it seems every other person has a hgv licence, This is thanks to successive governments destroying British industry, and now its our turn, with young drivers schemes and numerous courses available to help the unemployed get back to work by giving them a hgv licence, how come there’s no free political course available that allows you to stand as an MP at the end of it?

There definitely is some differentiation between “proper” HGV and anything smaller.

You may even find that some smaller drivers don’t even like being flashed in. There have been occasions in the past when I have been towing in a car and been flashed in against my will. That isn’t me hogging the middle lane or staying out for too long, that is me considering my next overtake on a clear road given that I’m not limited and will probably be passing similar traffic in a short while.

So it’s nice, but not always necessary in every case, particularly for smaller vehicles. Most 7.5t on a clear road in good weather I would put in this category.

Raining at night on a bank holiday Friday is another matter of course.

Ian G:
You may even find that some smaller drivers don’t even like being flashed in. There have been occasions in the past when I have been towing in a car and been flashed in against my will. That isn’t me hogging the middle lane or staying out for too long, that is me considering my next overtake on a clear road given that I’m not limited and will probably be passing similar traffic in a short while.

Getting flashed in doesn’t mean you HAVE to pull in, just flash a right indicator to say “thanks, but I’m ok out here”. All it’s saying is “drive, you’re clear of me”, not telling you it’s safe or anything, just that you’ve passed to a safe distance.

daf1691, if a truck pulled left and long flashed you, YOU WERE TOO CLOSE!!, you think you know the length of your truck etc, you clearly don’t.

Hey Guys ask me if size really dose matter :wink:

Whilst travelling back home to London from Cornwall in my little Smart who I have named the “Tiny Tart” I got flashed, tooted and waved at, all in a friendly manner :smiley: :smiley: not because my bad driving! which was all appreciated! the only thing I can put it down to, appart from my fabulous looks :grimacing: is that my Tiny Tart has got eyelashes on her headlights yes I know not for everyone but how bout I fashion some for your trucks? it clearly is’nt a size issue going on as the Tart is prob the smallest on the road. Then we can all feel good about being flashed :laughing:

You feel good about being flashed be careful young lady there are quite a few red blooded young men on here they may take you at your word

phil the book:
You feel good about being flashed be careful young lady there are quite a few red blooded young men on here they may take you at your word

what makes you think that person is female? :laughing:

Thanks for all the replies,
I think I know the answer, THERE IS A CLASS SYSTEM IN THIS INDUSTRY! Whether I’m driving a artic or a 4 wheeler we are all doing the same job. Where I deliver to you wouldn’t get an artic in, thats why they have a rigid.
As for the comment on I don’t know the length of my truck, after driving for 20 years I leave it until the front of the vehicle I have passed is clearly visible in my nearside mirror before I pull across. I use the same system whatever the vehicle I haven’t been long flashed before! I passed an artic, he got ■■■■■■ off & flashed me!

Unless we all start talking on truckstops etc & stick together like the FRENCH our bosses will do as they please & it will be too late to winge! Rant over!

all the best,

DAF.

daf1691:
I’m sure I left him at least 2 car lengths

You start to pull in that soon after passing me and you won’t be getting flashed in, and it will have absolutely nothing to do with the type of the vehicle you are driving.

Coffeeholic:

daf1691:

You start to pull in that soon after passing me and you won’t be getting a flash, and it will have absolutely nothing to do with the type of the vehicle you are driving.

Two car lengths wow thats a long length most trucks that cruise by me pull in after 3 feet. Its happening more and more so many out there aint got a clue when to pull back in safely.

Imp:

Coffeeholic:

daf1691:

You start to pull in that soon after passing me and you won’t be getting a flash, and it will have absolutely nothing to do with the type of the vehicle you are driving.

Two car lengths wow thats a long length most trucks that cruise by me pull in after 3 feet. Its happening more and more so many out there aint got a clue when to pull back in safely.

Indeed,and it’s why I very rarely get the chance to flash anyone in these days.

Try driving a tipper; Mr “I buy crap for a motor that’s not mine” (usually driving a Scania) will overtake, I flash him in and he ignores me because he’s so much further up the class ladder than an lowly tipper driver. Doesn’t bother me though, I’m home every night and earning more money (oh sorry, forgot Maguires are no longer with us!)

scanny77:

phil the book:

What makes you think she is not do you know something we dont.

scanny77:

phil the book:

Probably because she introduced herself in another post as Samantha and only joined the site because of a recent tragic incident that happened to her boyfriend.

Coffeeholic:

daf1691:
‘…I’m sure I left him at least 2 car lengths…’

‘…You start to pull in that soon after passing me and you won’t be getting flashed in…’

Yep, I’d much sooner prefer have a two second gap than two car gap [as per something or other in the Highway Code?]

A bit more at night on an otherwise empty motorway would also be most pleasant.

phil the book:

scanny77:

phil the book:

What makes you think she is not do you know something we dont.

i can only go by the post on this thread and while there may be indications that the poster is female, i dont make assumptions like that any more due to the increase in men who like to make their vehicles look pretty. a prime example being one at the scottish tuning show who chose a 2 tone paint job on his car. pink/purple :confused:

[quote="Imp"Two car lengths wow thats a long length most trucks that cruise by me pull in after 3 feet. Its happening more and more so many out there aint got a clue when to pull back in safely.[/quote]
West Transport’s drivers are amongst the worst. On three separate occasions, in as many weeks, on the A42 Southbound between the M1 and the Ashby-de-la-Zouch junction, I’ve had them pull in front of me with about a foot to spare. I thought about complaining to West Transport but it’s unlikely they’ll do anything about it.

Bob