Have times changed

i remember many many years ago stopping at chesterfield truckstop with my dad and being sent back to the truck cos the strippers were coming on and he knew loads of the drivers there… many regulars.

when i was on at longs and used to stop at alconbury they were a few regulars in the bar area and some faces you recognised.

do any of you still have regular haunts on pacific nights… another one at longs was grab a granny in newark on a thursday night. :open_mouth:

doe’s anyone bump into the same people at the same truckstops or parking each week and have a drink or chat or is it more or less over. :question:

i know im guilty of being a cab dweller on my nights out unless im with someone i know.

There was a time when the job and the overnights were worth doing for the social life alone.
Twenty years ago there were more firms around who made and delivered their own gear -
furniture, beds, glass, exhaust pipes, paper bags etc., etc., etc.
Most of those drivers had regular runs and regular favourite stopping places, and now and again
they would get their heads together and meet up somewhere else the following night for a change.
“Good nights out” were Reading cattle market, Northampton cattle market, Bethnal Green - up the
ramp, Nuneaton or Long Eaton on a Thursday, Canons Marsh - Bristol, Canterbury, the list was
endless.
Everybody carried some “going out” clothes, or even bought some en route. :open_mouth:
How we survived I don’t know.
Overnights now just aren’t the same. :cry:

valence road london used to be a regular for my dad in the late 80s early 90,s

hyper26:

So your dad would probably have been a regular in the Blind Beggar?

good boozer that :wink:

Whenever I parked at the Village Inn on Trafford Park I would often meet drivers who I have known for years.

Most of the tanker lads were parked in the same areas as we were using the same wash bays so had chance to organise the evenings entertainment. :stuck_out_tongue:

axletramp:
Everybody carried some “going out” clothes, or even bought some en route. :open_mouth:
How we survived I don’t know.
Overnights now just aren’t the same. :cry:

i remember not being long married and having to sneak a clean pair of jeans and a decent shirt out of the house in the bottom of my bag for the regular friday night in ponty :laughing: your right , times really have changed

axletramp:
Long Eaton on a Thursday,

that was another of my dad’s favorites. he was on it the other day a driver who used to deliver suits and was always selling out of the back of the lorry to other drivers there. :laughing:

I have just been having a think about the “battle cruisers” round the ramp, or Shoreditch NCP to
give it it’s correct name.

The White Horse, Ship and Blue Ball, Crown, Dolphin, Van Tromp, Knave, Jolly Butchers, Well and Bucket, Panther, Marquis of Cornwallis, and my particular favourite The Green Gate.

The London beer was like pee, one of the locals suggested we try a half of bitter in a pint glass
topped up with a bottle of Export. Much better.

Hungry on the way back? You could call at Mucky Mick’s chip shop, the Shish Kebab Salad and
Chips restaurant, Bruce Lees or the Beagle Shop where you could get tomorrow’s Sun.

things are no where near how they used to be most of the good places have gone if there are any left you would probably have to walk due to all the by passes your very lucky if you can find a empty layby for the night,i often see laybys with two or three foreign trucks in them nothing wrong with that but they set up camp for two to three days sometimes

axletramp:
I have just been having a think about the “battle cruisers” round the ramp, or Shoreditch NCP to

The White Horse, Ship and Blue Ball, Crown, Dolphin, Van Tromp, Knave, Jolly Butchers, Well and Bucket, Panther, Marquis of Cornwallis, and my particular favourite The Green Gate.

The London beer was like pee, one of the locals suggested we try a half of bitter in a pint glass
topped up with a bottle of Export. Much better

Does’nt seem to add up to me so you’ve never tried to stand up after a gallon or two of Fullers ESB or Youngs Special.Beats that Northern rubbish any time even though Youngs is brewed North of Watford now some say that’s because the Northerners wanted to find out how to make decent beer :laughing: .But maybe those locals were just trying to suggest that the Northerners can’t handle more than half a pint of real beer before they fall over. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

axletramp:

topped up with a bottle of Export. Much better

Does’nt seem to add up to me so you’ve never tried to stand up after a gallon or two of Fullers ESB or Youngs Special.Beats that Northern rubbish any time even though Youngs is brewed North of Watford now some say that’s because the Northerners wanted to find out how to make decent beer :laughing: .But maybe those locals were just trying to suggest that the Northerners can’t handle more than half a pint of real beer before they fall over. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You’re confusing quality with quantity carryfast, all that northern beer is ■■■■ water that gives you the squirts, but it’s cheap, that’s why the cloth cap wearing, whippet walking, pigeon fancying northerners like it so much :wink:

Nights out in Shoreditch now wouldn’t involve much drinking now anyway, all the boozers have been knocked down & replaced with mosques :unamused:

jessicas dad:
do any of you still have regular haunts on pacific nights…

not me i get sea sick too easily :open_mouth:

We have oop north and darn sarf, water runs downhill always. so the beer brewed in the sarf is brewed from our ■■■■ after we have drunk the proper northern beer :stuck_out_tongue:

Until you have drunk Timothy Taylors Landlord or Mashams Old Peculiar or even the newer brews from the Black Sheep or Thorne, Snaith or Selby you savverners wouldn’t know what real beer even looks like :stuck_out_tongue:

axletramp:

hyper26:

So your dad would probably have been a regular in the Blind Beggar?

yes mate when sutcliff used to go in hes told me some storys about that place the good old days eh :smiley:

most of my nights are spent on the laptop chasing the next few days jobs. by the time ive done that im knackered or theres no time for a pint.

i used to meet many friends in some weird and wonderfull places many moons ago, i remember in walsall behind the spare ground that was a truck
park at night there was a guy and a woman who used thier house as an unoffical truckstop, wonder what they are doing now. and the cherry tree
pub just up the road.

great times

weewulliewinkie:
most of my nights are spent on the laptop chasing the next few days jobs. by the time ive done that im knackered or theres no time for a pint.

i used to meet many friends in some weird and wonderfull places many moons ago, i remember in walsall behind the spare ground that was a truck
park at night there was a guy and a woman who used thier house as an unoffical truckstop, wonder what they are doing now. and the cherry tree
pub just up the road.

great times

erm :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
We have oop north and darn sarf, water runs downhill always. so the beer brewed in the sarf is brewed from our ■■■■ after we have drunk the proper northern beer :stuck_out_tongue:

Some say vat’s what ver suvvern brewers fort too (until vey fand at vat ver norvern rivers are even more polluted van ver Thames is :open_mouth: ) and vat’s why vey decided to brew plenty of alcohol in ver suvvern beer to make it taste better unlike ver norveners do. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:But dan saf we’re nearer to the Kent op fields so we also put more of vose in it too. :smiley: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Until you have drunk Timothy Taylors Landlord or Mashams Old Peculiar or even the newer brews from the Black Sheep or Thorne, Snaith or Selby you savverners wouldn’t know what real beer even looks like :stuck_out_tongue:

Quality post that.
I come from Nuneaton and moved to Oldham nearly 40 years ago, I found people friendly but usual beer a bit weak like Ansells in the Midlands
i agree old peculiar and Masham beer is very very good,travel around and lose the big breweries and you will find some great stuff.
Used to enjoy the black cat resturant in Southampton and then onto the Juniper berry pub with fantastic drag and comedy acts.Long time lost are the days/night when we all used to just use the same café’s /pubs etc , nowadays as said its stay in your cab with the tv/lappy/'gamesbox. :angry:
Sad to see we don’t spend much time together relaxing cos we are all being chased to get up and do the job asap. :angry:
I really do miss the comradeship and laughs we used to have,alas it seems to have all but disappeared a bit like the help etc we used to give each other. :unamused:

Days past were alot harder than now but more fun and much more rewarding as in job well done.We used to “DRIVE AND WORK” our trucks not just attend the steering wheel.
The newer drivers of today must learn a whole new set of rules but i bet if they could go back in time and do what we “old timers” did without vosa/hsa/big brother they would probably enjoy it. (please don’t harp on about how much safer/better/etc it is cos if you do you don’t really know what I’m on about) We had rules and regs but WE sorted it not those in Whitehall who have never even seen the inside of a truck. :wink:
We lived and survived with a story to tell. :wink:

axletramp:

topped up with a bottle of Export. Much better.

Hungry on the way back? You could call at Mucky Mick’s chip shop, the Shish Kebab Salad and
Chips restaurant, Bruce Lees or the Beagle Shop where you could get tomorrow’s Sun.

You will have memorys of slack alice then axle? happy days sadly gone for ever,any of you out there frequent tooley st in the 70s? kings head,copper on tower bridge,anchor tap adjacent courage brewery[long gone]st johns tavern next to park,did digs if you wasn,t fussy.