Have I lost my Cat C licence?

Will I have to retake a test ?I forget my license ran out on the 31-12-14 .I didn,t bother to check it before leaving on my long trip around Europe.I thought it expired on 31-12-15 ! I have only just recieved a reminder from the DVLA to get a medical before 31-12-14 today after after my sister finally got around to posting me all my letters to Italy . I got my Class 2 -Cat C years ago never used it commercially( my driving was all military ) .I decided to keep it any way just in case .I was planning to use it when I got back to the UK later this year or next year . Since last November I have bumming around in a Campervan in France and Italy .On a whim I decided to take off .A friend offered me a camper van at a reasonable price ,I had recently some compensation and redundancy money I rented out my apartment decided to take off .I had my mail redirected to my mum house and asked her to open it and tell me if there was anything important but she didn\t .I asked my sister and brother to post the mail but they kept forgetting or were too busy .I know its my own fault for not checking before I left ! Should I contact the DVLA and explain that I wanted to keep it and is still possible to get a medical and get my entitlement back .A retest would I think be to costly ?

I let my psv and hgv entitlements go at 45 on purpose as Ihad no wish to drive ccommercial vehicles again, but at 48 things changed and I just went off and took my medical and bingo sall entitlements restored, remember though now you must do your dcpc before driving commercially :wink:

you do not lose your driving qualification, you simply lose the entitlement to drive until you have satisfied the DVLA that you are fit enough

regardless of when the entitlement expired, if you wish to continue driving commercially, you must take, and pass, a medical

send all the forms off to DVLA, they will automatically renew your LGV entitlement

shuttlespanker:
you do not lose your driving qualification, you simply lose the entitlement to drive until you have satisfied the DVLA that you are fit enough

regardless of when the entitlement expired, if you wish to continue driving commercially, you must take, and pass, a medical

send all the forms off to DVLA, they will automatically renew your LGV entitlement

THIS^^^^^^

Rog, what does “This” mean when you put it on a post,? I’ve seen it lots of times, if I click it, nothing happens, what are you supposed to do with it?.

sapper:
Rog, what does “This” mean when you put it on a post,? I’ve seen it lots of times, if I click it, nothing happens, what are you supposed to do with it?.

in this case, he’s pointing to the correct answer and reiterating it to the thread creator, other times it may well be a hyperlink, a direct link to a website/article related to the thread.

Hope this helps.

BulkTipper:

sapper:

in this case, he’s pointing to the correct answer and reiterating it to the thread creator, other times it may well be a hyperlink, a direct link to a website/article related to the thread.

Hope this helps.

I think he was taking the P

bobdebouwer:

BulkTipper:

sapper:

Hope this helps.

I think he was taking the P

In that case, I got took, hook, line & sinker! :unamused: :wink:

THIS^^^ = I AGREE, DITTO or similar

Phew that,s a relief ! I thought I had it lost then! So basically I can get a medical at any time and get my entitlement back ? Does it have to be a UK doctor or can it be one in the EU? Thanks for all the replies .

Cundalini:
Phew that,s a relief ! I thought I had it lost then! So basically I can get a medical at any time and get my entitlement back ? Does it have to be a UK doctor or can it be one in the EU? Thanks for all the replies .

D4 form must go to DVLA for a UK LGV licence but any doctor in the EU can do the medical and fill it in in English

I called DVLA medical to get this info

ROG:

Cundalini:

D4 form must go to DVLA for a UK LGV licence but any doctor in the EU can do the medical and fill it in in English

Considering the price of getting a medical done (and then a separate eye test), it’d probably be cheaper to go to Europe and back.

Or get it done when you take the missus to spain or something.

I let my HGV 2 and PSV go at 45yrs and thought I had lost them and been working in IT. 2013 I had a medical got my class 2 and in july did my class 1 and cpc so you have nothing to worry about. I think it is a medical and a D4 form if I remember rightly.

And don’t forget to do your driver cpc if you plan on driving commercially

IIRC providing that you have held a licence for any category within the last 10 years of expiry, it will be renewed. IF it expired 10 years ago or more, then you have lost it

SWEDISH BLUE:
IIRC providing that you have held a licence for any category within the last 10 years of expiry, it will be renewed. IF it expired 10 years ago or more, then you have lost it

There is no time limit but you could have difficulties if it lapsed before 1984 (I think) when the DVLA records went from paper to computer

ROG:

Cundalini:

Does this still apply now we have left the EU ? Can it be still done by an EU doctor since Brexit ? l am currently living in Greece .

You`ve been a while! :smiley:

“Who can fill in the D4?
The medical examination includes a vision assessment
which must be filled in by a doctor, optician or optometrist.
Some doctors will be able to fill in both the vision and
medical assessment.
If your doctor is unable to fully answer all the questions
on the vision assessment you must have it filled in by an
optician or optometrist. Please note that the doctor must
be GMC registered and licensed to practice in the United
Kingdom or registered within the EU.
If you use a different doctor, or a company providing this
service, then all their details must be provided including their
email address and contact number.”

(my highlights) linked from .govuk to day assets.publishing.service.gov.u … -notes.pdf

> SWEDISH BLUE:
> IIRC providing that you have held a licence for any category within the last 10 years of expiry, it will be renewed. IF it expired 10 years ago or more, then you have lost it

I have heard this many times, but if you have the pass certificate and paper licence you can still get it back. Might take a bit longer though.

What if you were to surrender your license?

Car license or hgv do you need to start from scratch or just satisfy dvla