Have i just killed my career?

Good Evening all, i can not believe i am writing this as my first post but please do give me your feed back to my possible situation

1- My current job which is a office job is about to end due to company closure
2- Hence i am looking into doing my hgv license and get my Class 1 CE
3 -I have just recieved in the post a lovely N I P notice from a speed camera 42 in a 30 in central London on my motorbike
4- i ALL READY HAVE 6 POINTS BOTH SP30’'s !!!
5- so its looking like i might have three sp30 totalling 9 points have i just killed my possible chances of getting work once i pass my test as at the moment i feel devastated that one my job is closing down and i was really looking forward to getting qualified as a HGV class 1 driver and get out there and start working. I have had enough of sitting behind a desk and with our company closing down this was the kick i needed to jump career

has it all ended before i have even started :confused:

Probably. Speed kills.

yes i know speed kills, never speed in my camper van or car, its so easy to get caught out on a motorbike as getting to 40 is 1 second as you pull of and then back down the 30 again , so annoying i am all most 40 and now this has happened do i continue with getting license or is it waste of time ,

HayabusaMatt:
yes i know speed kills, never speed in my camper van or car, its so easy to get caught out on a motorbike as getting to 40 is 1 second as you pull of and then back down the 30 again , so annoying i am all most 40 and now this has happened do i continue with getting license or is it waste of time ,

How old are the other points. But if you can’t control what your doing on the bike may I suggest you SALE it

nick2008:

HayabusaMatt:

How old are the other points. But if you can’t control what your doing on the bike may I suggest you SALE it

hi my other points are allmost 18 months old, ive been a biker for 20 years and its only in the last two years i have picked up these points which is so annoying, if my current job does come to an end i was actually going to sell the bike and hang up my leathers once and for all ,

Had bikes myself mate,nearly got caught myself a few years ago on my zx7r! Im similar age to you mate,things come back to haunt you.

Ive got 3 points for a traffic light which are spent next month. Now Im a LGV driver I don’t speed in the car or on the bike. Its just not worth my livelihood.

Its a tad unfortunate about your latest points,as I believe most firms/agencies will take you with 6 points. But to be fair,you didn’t learn after the first time and now it seems,you haven’t learnt after the second time.

Would you take you on if you were a TM?

Sell your points and keep it down to six then get rid of your bike :wink:

Trucker Ed:

i am going to speak to a guy tomorrow to see if there is any angle he can use to get the NIP quashed with the police as he managed to get his son off for 85 on the M4 last year, think they will go down the route of extreme hard ship if i do get these points , also possibly offering them to surrender my bike entitlement , you never know

I’d say you’ll find it extremely difficult to get taken on with 9 points pal.

Your best bet is to find a similar job for now or maybe go into something different which is the future i.e P.V panels/Solar installation?

Check to see if the relevant force do a Speed Awareness Course. Will cost you a few quid but generally no points and it won’t show on your licence.

Some training schools may not train you with that many points and tbh to get a job as a new lorry driver with 9 points I cant see that happening. Sorry to be harsh

HayabusaMatt:

Trucker Ed:

i am going to speak to a guy tomorrow to see if there is any angle he can use to get the NIP quashed with the police as he managed to get his son off for 85 on the M4 last year, think they will go down the route of extreme hard ship if i do get these points , also possibly offering them to surrender my bike entitlement , you never know

“Extreme hardship” only comes into the equation if you are looking at the possibility of a ban (outright or “totting up”), which would not be the case for a simple 40 in a 30 with “only” six points already on your licence.

To put it bluntly, hardly anyone is going to take on a new C or CE driver who has 9 points on their licence. So yes, I think you have (for now) killed your as yet non-existent commercial driving career. Wait a couple of years until the older endorsements have expired. And if you can’t keep your right hand under control, sell the bloody Hayabusa.

Unless you know someone who will give you a job I’m afraid you’ll find it hard to get HGV work with nine points on you licence, it’s not impossible but it will be very hard.

Are you sure you want a job driving? Im not having a go but totalling up nine points is a lot. And remember hgvs have even lower speed limits than bikes and cars. And they tend to be more forcibly enforced as well. My advice to you would be to hold off just now. Its very difficult to get a job as a new pass as it is without having nine points. One more speeding offence and your looking at a ban. Whos going to go to all the expense of training you when they might lose you due to you having your license taken away. And I don’t buy into the “hardship” pleading for speeders looking at a ban either. Anyone at that stage should have thought of the hardship aspect at least 3 points ago.
Im not judging you and im not giving you a lecture or anything. Im just saying your probably best not to waste your money at the moment till at least 3 points come off.
I know what you mean when you say its easy to go above the limit in a bike. But its also easily done with a fully laden lorry going down hill.

If I was you i, I would do your license, I myself got 9 points through stupidity tbh and currently doing my test with a job offer already, and also I rang an agency that was willing to take on with 9 points and new starters. Yes what people are saying is true. Will be very hard to get a job, but if your hearts really in it you will find work, but after 3 years points are spent so are not live, (stay on license for another year) it’s handy to have your license there ready and waiting as it will be easier to find work with less points, just remember, not everyone here is a saint themselves and have all broke the law in some way or another

Regards Chris

You might have just killed it b4 it have even started. If u can’t kill the speed, it will kill u. Simple

But like as Routy22 said, u might be better off doing your class 1 now whilst u got the will. By the time your points are spent, u already have your licence ready to hustle. Plus u never know… you might be the lucky guy to find some1 to take u on even b4 your points are spent.

1. Do your licence
    2a. Find another job while u wait for your points to expire.
    2b. Whilst waiting and working, keep knocking on doors trying your luck for an lgv job

3a. U are lucky, u got a driving job b4 your points spent
3b. Your points are spent now, u look for a driving job and found 1

1. U got your career and kill your speed b4 it kills U!

Spikeydog:
Check to see if the relevant force do a Speed Awareness Course. Will cost you a few quid but generally no points and it won’t show on your licence.

That won’t happen unless you have 3 years between points

I’m not sure what people expect really.

42 in a 30 zone is bang out of order, speed limits are there for a reason. I religiously stick to speed limits, it’s my career on the line.

The senior Traffic commissioner reviews applicants for LGV/PCV entitlements where there is a question as to whether fit to receive entitlement. Large amounts of points and recent convictions may trigger that. I’m no expert but here’s a reference

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … onduct.pdf

nick2008:

Spikeydog:

That won’t happen unless you have 3 years between points

As far as I am aware, the only mention of 3 years is that you are only allowed one course every three years - i.e. If you’ve been on an awareness course in the past three years, then you won’t be offered one this time around. I don’t think previous endorsements/convictions come into it (although they bloody well should!).