Hauliers begging

So UK hauliers are begging the government to give them back their cheap Labour by threatening food shortages especially at Christmas.
I’ve no time for the tories but I applaud them digging they’re heels in on this one.

Until they perform yet another u turn.

toonsy:

and cause carnage on a dual carridgeway

Suedehead:

toonsy:

and cause carnage on a dual carridgeway

Or a painted island that never big enough for a swing :laughing:

Or until the party gets a big enough bung.

Sorry Donation!

Personally, I don’t think there will be another influx of cheap foreign labour. Johnson is only too well aware that he is only in power because the working class were fed up with it and Farage was snapping at his heels.

Well the RHA who is an advocate of hauliers not drivers have been pushing this hard.
I agree though. It is an industry problem.

Wages have not had a significant rise in many places still. No doubt many class 1 drivers still under 25k a year.

The industry needs to recruit more drivers. This is done by both increasing wages and shouldering the cost of training. i.e apprenticeships. Which they dont want to do. They just want people with a license who will work for cheap.

There are already 30 000 HGV drivers in the waiting line for their license. The RHA should exercise a bit of patience, in a few months time it’ll all be back to £10-12 p.h., ok maybe 11-13 because inflation

Fear Not, help is on its way

Photo: Julian-G. Albert

ETS:
There are already 30 000 HGV drivers in the waiting line for their license. The RHA should exercise a bit of patience, in a few months time it’ll all be back to £10-12 p.h., ok maybe 11-13 because inflation

29,000 of which will find better paying jobs outside hgv driving.

It’s becoming crystal clear to me that the government, in particular the Home Office, are not going to cave in to any demands for “temporary work visas” for HGV drivers or any other, be they care workers or in hospitality etc
As has been said many times recently the RHA and it’s members have long since had this situation coming and singularly failed to do anything about it
That’s why the cry for the return of their pool of Eastern European cheap labour grows ever more shrill
They have no Plan B, that’s been cruelly exposed, you know things have gone badly wrong when you’re relying on HMG to bail you out of the mess that you’ve made.
It’s time for a root and branch reform of the whole industry, a re-set that starts with a vast improvement in pay and conditions in order to attract and retain the next generation of UK HGV licence holders, I for one have no objection to seeing our own young lads and girls being trained up to take the industry forward

The can be said if Nando’s and KFC concerning the chicken problem :unamused:
No shortage of chicken in my local Sainsbury’s this morning
So one can assume that there’s only a shortage of chicken at the price they want to pay (very cheap rubbish stuff ) not the good chicken

bigdave789:
That’s why the cry for the return of their pool of Eastern European cheap labour grows ever more shrill

Eastern Europeans don’t want to work here.
Those that are already here…are leaving.

I asked a polish lad,the other night…why this was so.
He said it’s better in Poland now.

whisperingsmith:
Fear Not, help is on its way

Photo: Julian-G. Albert

Surely a cheaper version than an in cab height indicator?

commonrail:

bigdave789:

Eastern Europeans don’t want to work here.
Those that are already here…are leaving.

I asked a polish lad,the other night…why this was so.

Indeed, and it isn’t just the pay or the cost of housing/living either, many don’t like what’s happening here and want to bring their children up in a country they feel will be safer and, ironically, likely to be a freer society than where Brit society is heading.
Many EE’s are devout Christians and they can see the writing on the wall for what was once a decently moralistic country based on Christian principles, they tend to value freedom more than the average Brit maybe because they or their parents and older friends have experienced first hand what a totalitarian state is like and they can see where ours is heading.

commonrail:

Right…

That’s it. I’m off to Poland to hawk my services and destroy various bits of the Polish motorway system. I’m confident I can knock a few bridges, pull over a the odd fuel pump or two and blindside some completely innocent car driver on their way Lidl’s with the kids. I’ll also make sure I’m absolutely battered on 7 cans of Special Brew before I turn up for work too.

latvia romania hungary im also looking at you

Another problem the industry has is the need for haulage customers or their own Drivers to work any 5/7 or rota working but only wanting to pay a set rate all through rather than premium rates for w/e and "graveyard"shifts.
Hence the young interested in transport turn it down when they find out what getting a licence involves and what being a Driver entails, along with the hours involved interfering with their social life,can you blame them.
Bosss can bury their head in the sand as deep as they like,but their belief they pay competitive wages and have good conditions dont always match with reality.

The RHA wish for cheap labour has been answered, There’s 20,000 arriving from Afghanistan, and 100+ every day land in Dover, that’s the Driver shortage,and vegetables pickers sorted…
Dam I forgot they don’t want to work, just claim benefits and get free everything.

JeffA:

ETS:

29,000 of which will find better paying jobs outside hgv driving.

Maybe not necessarily better paid but better in general. It amuses me that almost every time non-drivers ask me how many hours I do per shift their mouths remain wide open and I don’t even do that many, 10 or 11 on most days. It’s hard to go from a 35-40 hour work week to 50-60 or more or TRAMPING. I suspect a lot of them will look at their payslips, their lost time from life and sooner rather than later ask themselves is it worth it giving up life for £200 weekly increase over my last job especaily those in their 20s early 30s, those with kids/wives/gfs

Juddian:
Indeed, and it isn’t just the pay or the cost of housing/living either, many don’t like what’s happening here and want to bring their children up in a country they feel will be safer and, ironically, likely to be a freer society than where Brit society is heading.
Many EE’s are devout Christians and they can see the writing on the wall for what was once a decently moralistic country based on Christian principles, they tend to value freedom more than the average Brit maybe because they or their parents and older friends have experienced first hand what a totalitarian state is like and they can see where ours is heading.

Exactly to the point, never read a better post than this as it is my exact thoughts too.