Haulage (tipping) and Profits

Hi all,
I’ve been out and about this last week picking up useful tips on haulage work (tipping). I’ve been told by those that I’ve been with that the margins are fairly low - i.e. 50% is spent on fuel, 25% on general maintanance, leaving an average of 25% for operating profits. It seems that getting-in 6-7 runs a day is about the average and rates are based on mileage (per 2 miles) and weight. I wonder though, is there not some type of tax claw-back that haulage firms can apply for when the work (or in this case) distance being covered is only for work purposes. I’m sure I remember reading something about this a while back, so any comments are more than welcome.

Cheers,
Robert

Take advice from an accountant familiar with haulage.

It’s possible to earn a living. It’s also possible to loose your house trying.

But it’s not all doom and gloom if you’re well advised and have a degree of luck.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

pete do you do accounts? i know you have the training but didnt know about the accounts side :wink: as we are looking for a new accountant :wink:

An accountant is the very last person I’d ask about haulage especially tipping .

Exactly, Dan. Many years ago my main contractor told me that he’d fixed up for his accountant to give me some advice. I knocked on the gentleman’s door, he opened it and said, “You need to earn more” then closed the door again!

Peter Smythe:

+1

Dan Punchard:
An accountant is the very last person I’d ask about haulage especially tipping .

:unamused: ?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Exactly, Dan. Many years ago my main contractor told me that he’d fixed up for his accountant to give me some advice. I knocked on the gentleman’s door, he opened it and said, “You need to earn more” then closed the door again!

Says it all really!

macci:

Peter Smythe:

+1

Dan Punchard:

:unamused: ?

Retired Old ■■■■:

Says it all really!

So being as this is the owner operators forum what do you know about macci ? What’s your experience from?

Iv often heard folks telling me that there accountant said this and that and They should do the other , Iv never spoken to my accountant , is this normal? I kinda think I know if I’m making brass or not as I see the fuel gauge drop, or at least when I brim the old lass up again for another days graft,

Sounds normal to me ,I laugh at those people .

Dan Punchard:
Sounds normal to me ,I laugh at those people .

I certainly don’t pay em much heed,

Surely there’s decent work and crap work.

I’m not an OD but I’ve done plenty of work on tippers.

If you’re driving miles empty you’re burning fuel for no reward.

Surely the key is economical lorry, decent driver, as many profitable miles as possible and regular maintenance to avoid costly breakdowns.

By profitable miles I mean miles for which you are being paid.

Easier said than done I imagine

Tipper Tom:

I’m not an OD but I’ve done plenty of work on tippers.

If you’re driving miles empty you’re burning fuel for no reward.

Surely the key is economical lorry, decent driver, as many profitable miles as possible and regular maintenance to avoid costly breakdowns.

Easier said than done I imagine

Youv hit the nail on the head Tom , all you have to worry about now is being paid !

Yeah but in fairness that applies to self employed drivers aswell.

I can’t thinks of very many industries where it’s impossible to take back the thing you are charging for

Strawgalore:

Tipper Tom:

And being paid a “profitable” amount! Any fool can work for nothing.