Has your firm got work into January and february?

Now that the Christmas rush is dying down and the dust starts to settle, how is your employer sorted for work in the early months of 2012.

The recession has no end in sight and as manufacturing output falls even lower and the haulage firms have even less freight to move, how will it affect you?

On the up side your firm might be busier than ever and the future looks bright…

Your thoughts please.

Cheers,

Richard.

One good thing about being on the milk is that it’s consistent all year round

My old place forecast doom and gloom. I resigned, they advertise for new Yes men on Jobseekers website. :unamused:

Very quiet where I work till around march. Driving 7.5t this week where it would usually be 26t in summer. Weightwise would even fit on a van, but too much work making it fit. Just thankful I have a job even though the pay is bad for the next few months.

PS the UK really needs to invest in manufacturing. At the moment we seem to regard manufacturing as something that happens in poor third world countries, but we need it as a stable base to our economy. You can’t sell the service industry to skint people. 70% of our population would rather buy a new washing machine or boiler instead of extra platinum diamond extreme life insurance or product insurance.

Trouble is, at the moment, you see a label that says ‘made in the uk’, you think ‘pile of utter ■■■■■■ and buy a cheaper, better quality model from germany or china.

volumes were definitely on the slide from beginning of November so not expecting many shifts in January, February I’m otherwise occupied.

on animal feed winter is normaly busy all the way to easter but it has been quiet due to all this dam mild weather :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Quite busy where I am by the looks of it, even wanted me to finish my leave early as there is so much work on!

C-Kay:
One good thing about being on the milk is that it’s consistent all year round

I do national newspapers - printers to wholesalers. There’s only one night a year when there’s no work for me - Christmas eve, no papers on Christmas day.

Can see us being quiet, if no ones not got any money you aint gonna be going the pub.
BAE used to have a big site near us, and you see the old boys spending their pension in the local pub, now they use the day saver and hit Wetherspoons.

well in the last 4 days i am only 2 loads down on what i would normally do in 5, but then in the recycling business someone has to move what everyone throws away, will only get busier after the holidays for me :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Rich The Stag:
Now that the Christmas rush is dying down and the dust starts to settle, how is your employer sorted for work in the early months of 2012.

The recession has no end in sight and as manufacturing output falls even lower and the haulage firms have even less freight to move, how will it affect you?

On the up side your firm might be busier than ever and the future looks bright…

Your thoughts please.

Cheers,

Richard.

Yes we are busy and seem to have loadsa work on, unlimited o/t as long as you stay legal, seem to have more agency than employed drivers in there in the morning when I start.

We keep getting told there isn’t much work in the pipeline but we seem to be kept busy. Three new lorries supposed to be coming (one for Dad apparently and talk about me too-hope not) so work must be on the horizon.

I’m on paid leave until 9th Jan but have work from the 3rd, it’s looking like January will be good most of the plant out and all of the operators out working. Hopefully it’ll stay that way for Feb but as for all construction work dependanton the weather.

sea frog:
on animal feed winter is normaly busy all the way to easter but it has been quiet due to all this dam mild weather :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Glad it’s not just us; couldn’t be more different to this time last year could it? :wink:

Squiddy:
Very quiet where I work till around march. Driving 7.5t this week where it would usually be 26t in summer. Weightwise would even fit on a van, but too much work making it fit. Just thankful I have a job even though the pay is bad for the next few months.

PS the UK really needs to invest in manufacturing. At the moment we seem to regard manufacturing as something that happens in poor third world countries, but we need it as a stable base to our economy. You can’t sell the service industry to skint people. 70% of our population would rather buy a new washing machine or boiler instead of extra platinum diamond extreme life insurance or product insurance.

We’re the 6th largest manufacturing country in the world.

Depends on the rates increasing with the work.Its no use hauliers being busy fools :exclamation:

We have some work until mid jan then its holiday time until march then it all kicks off again

We have plenty of work it seems, euro work is picking up as well

sea frog:
on animal feed winter is normaly busy all the way to easter but it has been quiet due to all this dam mild weather :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:[/quo

Dunno, we keep banging limestone into the mills like it`s going out of fashion, esp Lloyds.

just done a couple of days work for a friend on bulk tank work, and by the end of the 2nd day, he was almost turning down work to load before new years day. like he said to me “were apparently in the ■■■■ and all this work keeps cropping up” so where does it all come from?