Has anyone been killed or injured?

4whatitsworth:

Coffeeholic:

4whatitsworth:
I went to a place the other week where i had to take my yellow
hi viz off and put on there dark blue one :unamused:

Thatā€™s not as daft as it sounds. At 3M Bedford visitors have to wear orange Hi Viz so in the event of an incident requiring evacuation of the site the regular workers will know who are the visitors are and can assist them, as they wonā€™t be familiar with the evacuation plan.

Thatā€™s a fair point but orange is a high viz colour where as dark blue is not

Mine is black. It really annoys jumped up office numpties :smiling_imp:
Hi-vis is to contrast with the background not necessarily yellow

and the purpose of wearing a hard hat was once explained to me, itā€™s easier to gather up all of your brain after the accidentā€¦

You are forced/encouraged to wear hi-viz because ā€œI didnā€™t see himā€ is an often used & sometimes valid point raised by the prime mover at someone elseā€™s inquest.

Inquests are horribly expensive for the insewerance industry !

If you donā€™t want to wear hi-viz, maybe as some sort of fashion statement, then donā€™t wear one. If/when you are crushed to death by someone who didnā€™t see you, then it wonā€™t matter one little bit to you what is said at your inquest.

Yesterday (Friday) I pulled into the yard to find a 360 blocking my way to tip, he was fuelling up from the red tank & blocking my access, Iā€™m paid by the hour so Iā€™m quite happy to sit there for a few mins till heā€™s done. He was also blocking the least muddy path for the bossā€™s daughter to walk from her parked car to the office door, sheā€™s just about to wriggle between him & a steel container when I jumped out of the cab & grabbed her knitwear to pull her back, at that very instant that sheā€™s about to protest at my actions, the 360 is swinging around to prepare to move off !

Her hi-viz wouldnā€™t have helped her, his cab is on the other side of his boom, he wouldā€™ve swung round & crushed her pretty little body hopelessly into that container with his counter balance. She didnā€™t know this, sheā€™s bright & sheā€™s pretty but sheā€™s also young & inexperienced.

Anyways I thought a hi viz was just to tell other people that you have a crap job :confused:

Chas:
I jumped out of the cab & grabbed her knitwear

Thatā€™s my story and Iā€™m sticking to it your Honour. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
I havenā€™t worn a Hi Viz for 5 months, no one has even noticed

Thatā€™s beacause they canā€™t see you without Hi-Viz on.

canā€™t be arsed to read all the posts.

That is all.

muckles:

Coffeeholic:

Well a TruckNet member saw me last week while I was winding the trailer legs up, not all the way up of course, :wink: and introduced himself. Plus Security see me and ask questions such as, what trailer number is it tonight? They notice me, they donā€™t seem to notice the lack of Hi Viz though.

Coffeeholic:

muckles:

Coffeeholic:

Well a TruckNet member saw me last week while I was winding the trailer legs up, not all the way up of course, :wink: and introduced himself. Plus Security see me and ask questions such as, what trailer number is it tonight? They notice me, they donā€™t seem to notice the lack of Hi Viz though.

So what you are saying is that all those bods who spent hours thinking of new H&S rules and insist they are enforced might not be right? And maybe a bit of common sense might actually be more effective, such as not trying to squeeze between a container and a 360 excavator. :open_mouth:

Coffeeholic:

Chas:
I jumped out of the cab & grabbed her knitwear

Thatā€™s my story and Iā€™m sticking to it your Honour. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

It has to be said . . . sheā€™s definately gagging for it :smiley:

Might be one for a younger man than I, but sheā€™s single, up for it, & one day my son ā€œall this will be yoursā€.

All our drivers are old 'uns, we think the world of her & would willingly lay down our hi-viz bomber jackets in the muddy puddles so she can safely walk from her car to her office door.

Pat Hasler:
nor will they stop a vehicle from crushing you ā€¦ but they make it easier for the driver to see who they are killing.

Foreman of mine working on M40 construction was killed while wearing hi viz and hard hat, A Caterpillar Compactor 826C reversed over him, the driver didnā€™t see a thing! Happened at dusk.

Cat 826C.jpg

muckles:

Coffeeholic:

muckles:

Coffeeholic:

So what you are saying is that all those bods who spent hours thinking of new H&S rules and insist they are enforced might not be right? And maybe a bit of common sense might actually be more effective, such as not trying to squeeze between a container and a 360 excavator. :open_mouth:

It is what it is. :wink:

I put mine on in the morning and take it off at night, If any one thinks I look a ā– ā– ā– ā–  , thats ok :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Iā€™ve got mine on in town now (well it is the works night out)ā€¦

Canā€™t wait till we hit the clubsā€¦

W

AlexWignall:

W

Hope youve got ya hard hat and safety goggles and steel toecap boots as well :smiley:

Hi Viz.jpg

thetourist:
I was stood in a transport yard one bright sunny morning minus the mandatory knock me down bib when a driver came up to me and said ā€œIf i run over you it will be your fault as you are not wearing a high viz vestā€ I said ā€œyes i amā€ He said ā€œno your notā€ I replied ā€œhow do you know Iā€™m not wearing oneā€ He said ā€œI can see that you havenā€™t got yourā€™s onā€ I said "No problem then you wont run me over as you can see me just fine. After a period of deep thought he walked away mumbling to his self.

Brillant. There is a lot of jobs worth in this game.

Sign in our office says no hi viz and your invisible and will be ignored . Suits me iā€™m payed by the hour :smiley:

BIGRIG:

AlexWignall:

W

Hope youve got ya hard hat and safety goggles and steel toecap boots as well :smiley:

Nah, we only do Lafarge once a month so it wouldnā€™t be worth it.

Funny thing was that I came out of the Pub and there really was a bloke with a hi viz coat on out on the lash with his mates.

W

toby1234abc:
For NOT wearing a hi-viz jacket,still not sure why drive with the silly thing,if doing a multi drop,that is fair enough,but for a long run,it is pointless,and wont save your life if you have a crash.

But the First Aider may find you much earlier when you fall drunk behind a Bush of a Spanish Night Club in La Shongheera :bulb: