Has a Hi-Viz ever saved your life?

I can’t stand the bloody things. If I’m stupid enough to put myself in harms way then I deserve everything I get (Darwinism and all that)

What annoys me is companies insisting you wear them almost everywhere now. I know it’s to reduce risk etc but has anyone ever avoided a situation because they were wearing one?

Just to add - I’m not including road/rail workers or banksmen where I would argue the case for using them.

i have sworn that if i ever win the lottery the first thing i will do is burn my hi viz,like you i hate the bxxxxy things,same as hardhats,when i worked for palletways we were told we had to start wearing hardhats when i asked why i was told in case a pallet fell off the top deck i laughed and said how the hell is a hard hat going to stop a pallet caving your head in,health and safety gone mad,and its only going to get worse

go to a goods in window wearing a hi viz, stand there for ages getting ignored

go to a goods in window without a hi viz, they talk to you straight away :unamused:

Not sure, but its funny how quickly and easily people notice you when you don’t have one on in RDCs etc. So by my reckoning, not wearing one will probably save my life more.

When I worked on recovery I experimented with NOT wearing Hi Viz at night on the roadside & felt MUCH safer for it.

If you care to read up on ‘target fixation’ then you might understand.

Yes, it deflected shots from an Uzi one day fired by disgruntled fork lift driver. Was always under impression driver was ‘bullet proof’ so long as he had hi viz on. How correct they where!

I wear a hivis tux :grimacing:

Cos “last night a DJ saved my life” :blush: :blush:

Coat, hat and taxi…

Standard ■■■■ take in our place is “wheres ya hiviz?” Usual response “well you can see me so I don’t need one” yet when we wear them noone talks to us. I reckon they are actually an invisibility cape.

I’m guessing the answers going to be a firm NO based on the replies so far.

Soon everyone will be wearing hivis all the time - then where will we be?

If I hadn’t been wearing a hi-viz vest on the balcony of the Iranian embassy during the SAS siege then I’m sure I wouldn’t be here today to tell the tale.

Similarly, it was the only thing that saved me when the Herald went down. I was booked on, but was delayed by two minutes when the ■■■■■■■ the check-in booth said “What the ■■■■ is that you’re wearing?” :stuck_out_tongue:

We dont wear them in our yard and flt trucks whizzing around everywhere but no accidents in the couple of years I have been there.

I was dropping a flt at a perfume factory the other day and had to wear goggles in the yard while I was unloading my wagon :unamused:
Smelt better than the abattoirs and recycling places I usually end up in though :laughing:

damoq:
Not sure, but its funny how quickly and easily people notice you when you don’t have one on in RDCs etc. So by my reckoning, not wearing one will probably save my life more.

+1

I drive up to the gatehouse. Security plod says got hi viz? I say yes, wear it in the premises, take it off on the way out. Problem? No!

Dont you hate it when rushing and the vest gets tangled up and you dont notice its all around your shoulders…or is it just me :blush: :laughing:

Drift:
Dont you hate it when rushing and the vest gets tangled up and you dont notice its all around your shoulders…or is it just me :blush: :laughing:

Or put it on the wrong way round & every one asks you “why didn’t your Mum help you get dressed this morning”
Especially if your boot laces are undone as well. Lol.

m1cks:
/rail workers I would argue the case for using them.

Why cant see the point as its not as if the train driver is gonna pull a few 100t up in a short distance maybe the trains should be Viz’d up :wink: :wink:

Steam loco crews are not allowed to wear them as they’re a fire hazard. They look silly aswell if wearing period clothing. It’s funny, all the railways we used to have, signalmen standing beside the track holding the train staff (I know there were apparatus to catch it on busier lines) for the train crew to grab as they went past. No hi viz yet the loco crew saw the man standing there holding a small metal bar.

There nothing more than a pita mines tried hanging me a couple of times from some of the loads we carry once when I slipped off the trailer the second when I had to jump down because of no way to climb down

Not a hi-vis in sight and everyone survived that day.

OH MY GOD!!! Lets not forget about the children!!!