Has a Hi-Viz ever saved your life?

My fathers take on health and saftey personell is all the millitant trade unionists become h&s consoultants as it gave them the power to keep causing chaos.
high viz is a joke as so many people wear them you dont notice them. Just a box ticking and arse covering thing. Say you went on a building site without one and walked in the path of a jcb and was knocked down it would be no high viz thats why he wasnt seen.

To me, there’s too much emphasis placed towards making people wear hi viz so that they are easily seen machine operators, FLTs etc when its not really necessary. Its the same as my argument about cyclists. Its a common sense thing. Just stay out of the way of moving vehicles/machines, or at least stay somewhere that the driver can easily see you, and you shouldn’t get run over. End of story.

shuttlespanker:
go to a goods in window wearing a hi viz, stand there for ages getting ignored

go to a goods in window without a hi viz, they talk to you straight away :unamused:

Like the time i got out my van in a yard without my hi vis, the goods in guy came marching over said i had to put it on or he wouldn’t sign for the delivery. I asked why, “cos you need to be visible” How did you see me then i asked?

nick2008:

m1cks:
/rail workers I would argue the case for using them.

Why cant see the point as its not as if the train driver is gonna pull a few 100t up in a short distance maybe the trains should be Viz’d up :wink: :wink:

It’s so the driver can see them from a long way off, sound the horn, and give them time to get clear of the track.

Hi-vis hoody or polo shirt. job done. forget your wearing it then.

bazza123:

nick2008:

m1cks:

Why cant see the point as its not as if the train driver is gonna pull a few 100t up in a short distance maybe the trains should be Viz’d up :wink: :wink:

It’s so the driver can see them from a long way off, sound the horn, and give them time to get clear of the track.

LOL I know that fella just saying … thought most line workers had a spotter

What makes me sad about this whole debacle is when you see gangs of children all vizzed up when out on school trips even though there’s absolutely no risk that an hi-viz might prevent. Even seen them at Alton Towers. WTF do you need an hi-viz on for at a place like that.

I blame America and their lawsuit culture.

Don’t mind it myself but wearing the hardhat annoys me especially when you even have to wear it to walk from the weighbridge to the office :unamused:

jay0:
Don’t mind it myself but wearing the hardhat annoys me especially when you even have to wear it to walk from the weighbridge to the office :unamused:

or in the cab :open_mouth:

Terry T:
What makes me sad about this whole debacle is when you see gangs of children all vizzed up when out on school trips even though there’s absolutely no risk that an hi-viz might prevent. Even seen them at Alton Towers. WTF do you need an hi-viz on for at a place like that.

Foreign tourists in Oxford have hi viz backpacks. The muggers must love it.

moomooland:
1Not a hi-vis in sight and everyone survived that day.
0OH MY GOD!!! Lets not forget about the children!!!

nice pic of the E R F though

your father is right KR79 where I worked the most militant union man was promoted off the shop floor into the apprentice training manager and was never heard of again in the union.

Terry T:
Even seen them at Alton Towers. WTF do you need an hi-viz on for at a place like that.

I’ve put them on my own kids in a crowded play area of 1000 kids, so I can see them at a glance in a crowd.
At work I blame the compensation culture we have now.

Been posted before, but great video from 50’s

How on earth did they manage that without a single hi viz

nick2008:

bazza123:

nick2008:

m1cks:

LOL I know that fella just saying … thought most line workers had a spotter

Train crew etc wouldn’t have a lookout with them though so for them its even more important.

Watch this from 3.15 onwards. I wonder if he would have seen them without hi-viz on?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ9DWgePGp0

I have never seen a bomb disposal officer wearing one so if its good enough for him…

Airline pilots wear them now.While checking the aircraft before take off.
And flight attendants when outside the aircraft.
It is law to wear your hiviz while eating a meal at a transport cafe.

Toby hits the best point, I have seen drivers up on the boat eating with one on, the M6/M1 is full of drivers wearing there Hi-Viz while at the wheel.

It’s ruled with an iron fist, liked banned from site for not wearing one while exiting the cab, drivers seem to love wearing them.

I on the other hand like to push it as much as I can get away with by not wearing it, but since I normally only do France the only time the Hi-Viz comes out when I tip in England.

And no it’s never saved my life.

Oh and before I forget the best Hi-Viz wearers are the one that look like they have rubbed the thing on the 5th wheel then put it on.

It has the same reflective qualities as coal but because he has it on there happy. Nobody would say by the way you should really get a new Hi-Viz that one won’t do its job.

wired4smoke:
Oh and before I forget the best Hi-Viz wearers are the one that look like they have rubbed the thing on the 5th wheel then put it on.

It has the same reflective qualities as coal but because he has it on there happy. Nobody would say by the way you should really get a new Hi-Viz that one won’t do its job.

The best for me is the office jockey in his shirt tie and shinnnnnnny poop flickers he goes a step further and irons his cuz he is all about the company!

I hate mine when i done a stint at tarmac we had to have an orange boiler suit i looked a right plum best bit i never got out the cab in the depot