Happy days going abroad

This truck EPU 300T if it was a left ■■■■■■ was bought new by Allister transport in upminster essex, original colour was plain red but resprayed to these colours and put on the Matue Matue contract from UK to Spain and driven by John Howard from Manchester who we called “Manchester John”. I had the great pleasure of working with him and his ex M/E pal Alan Kendell ie “the Biggest Middle East haulier of Tintern at the time” lost track with both of them now and all the other allister drivers, he done a lot of damage to the passenger side front in Barcelona zona franca whilst ■■■■■■ one night,he would not tell us the real story about that incident, but managed to bring the old girl home to have it repaired, neadless to say McAllister was not impressed when he saw the truck but all was ok at the end of the day.

I bought this Scania 141 EPU 300T from Tony many years ago from the Ipswich area I seem to remember him telling me he had been on fridge work with it.

It had been one of R A Robinsons

Also it had suffered in an accident at some time!

Regards Pat
[/quote]

RMC GAZ. Looking at your photos of your mate, the one of him wearing his blue cap, i see he’s on the wire!

crack on drive!! :smiley: :wink: :sunglasses:

kindle530:
RMC GAZ. Looking at your photos of your mate, the one of him wearing his blue cap, i see he’s on the wire!

Sometime the taco in an F12 or 142 would just stop, quite a common problem after 4 1/2 hours driving. Usually and hour or so after that it would start up again. Happened even more frequent to British trucks pulling fridges on the continent. I never got to the bottom of that problem but it was quite handy sometimes.

I remember EAT.

lovely photos,love the tags f12,
r.i.p your bro in law.

Jelliot:

kindle530:

Sometime the taco in an F12 or 142 would just stop, quite a common problem after 4 1/2 hours driving. Usually and hour or so after that it would start up again. Happened even more frequent to British trucks pulling fridges on the continent. I never got to the bottom of that problem but it was quite handy sometimes.

I remember EAT.

yeah, know what you mean, i had a couple of Swedes that had the same problem! :wink: :sunglasses:

Aberdeen to Madrid and back, under 3000 k’s, that’s why you could do one every week.

Oh eye! nae bother mon. Fit like a day?

Jeff…

Jelliot:

kindle530:

I remember EAT.

hey, it was not a common problem on Sweeds,but I had the same with my Daf’s without a fridge trailer,even sometimes it was worse the tacho rotated backwards. But bad for who were payed a mile if you had only 600km between Aosta and Seabruges.
Good days went for me after 2006,I lost my last Fuller powered Daf without limiter (or broken never know or checked) and good tacho which let me do 1000km a day legally.
Pitty I couldn’t afford to buy it, to much worth for the Africans, who want to beat my record of 1.600.000km with it.

Bye Eric,

Waiting to clear customs Pordenone Italy 1987 R J Matthew Transport (Sittingbourne Kent)

Waiting to load on Sally Line Ramsgate 1986 R J Matthew Transport (Sittingbourne Kent)
[/quote]

Going truckin with my brother in law tony,in the 80"s and 90"s,sadly losing his battle with cancer at 49 :frowning:
Every sunday, dover
parked up in irun.
Parked up at chrissio :smiley:

Wanted to be a driver, Instead 26years roofing :unamused:

Do you remember any Euro PSL,Freight Transfer,LV shipping,Garnett Eurotrans out there 1992 onwards?And British International.

i pulled for psl from 98 til bout 2000 mainly doin portugal had many great weekends away in those 2 years my missus could never work out why i always shippin out on fridays she worked out why when she came with me and we weekended at victors!!!not the best rates but least i never had to do crappy uk…dont spose anyone remembers tony who had his own blue globetrotter with kitchen pack must be knockin on now as tink he was in his 60s back then…also peter??who pulled carpets for psl in old erf both good men who looked after a green nipper like me…miss it all really

Hello mate,i think that you will find that "Tony"with the Volvo & the kitchen pack is my uncle, Tony Bradfield,the description fits him,& yes was in his 60’s back then.He is now 76 & still running to North Africa with his own Daf Super Space Cab.The Maggie Deutz in the picture looks like the 1 i used to drive for Tony in the early eighties,we put exhaust up the back of the cab as in the picture,Reg No THJ 447R.Can’t think who it was sold to though.Regards Will.

The maggie in question i think was a T reg,it was my brother in laws 1st lorry as a owner driver .
He use to run out of clacton essex.
Tony going towards mont blanc.

Another long wait to be tipped :angry:
Gave up waiting ,parked up for the night :unamused:

Travy 75.
yes was two ERFs on Brintons carpet run,to Vouzela near Porto,they would allways have a loaded trailer back to kidderminster.Was Pete and a man from Devizes,called “Long pockets John”,bit tight with the coffee money!Pete still doing euro work or quit.Take it loaded in Garlands old depot in Porto,by the Dunlop tyres depot,old cobbled street,pain to reverse in to and out again.Manger there with the glasses,waving arms around and swearing.PSL now load out of new depot in Maia,now only use Portuguese hauliers.Remember “Hot to trot” Tony Bradfields Volvo F10,in blue.Did you go on that IP5,burning the brake linings off,as would take 20 minutes to get down the mountian if fully freighted,locals didt worry and let the truck go,and hope they wouldnt have to stop.And Alex Hargreaves with a polio bent arm,with an Esteppe high roof blue Scania 142,pulled for Euro PSL.I left PSL to go with Bob Garnett of Eurotrans,decent and fair bloke.Think round trip Caen/Cherbourg for Lisbon/Porto was about £1950.ADR extra.Gibraltar was £2200.In 1992.Victors now run by Moroccans and other stops there by Romanians and Bulgarians,was allways empty last year.Victor was grumpy with a beard,but great meat and potato soup in the winter.!!

Toby1234abc.
That would have been Alex Harper (RIP)

toby…porto was a pain your right esp when they loaded you over night cab rockin no sleep…as 4 ip5…wow what a road only 180km long but took over 3 three hrs to complete even longer if first thing in mornin with thick fog!!seen a few trucks burnt out side of road brakes caught fire!!remember the police in helicopter always lookin for speeders??they must have improved it now?? shame bout victors it was a good place but showers grim i used to use hotel for that…place next door to hotel was fun!!!best tripi had not for money reasons was when i was stuck in lisbon in august for 17 days waitin for re load ended up parking 50 yards from beach in cascaiswith my mate ■■■■ turpin…ended up sendin me to madrid for reload eventually!!

Tony at wheel of f12,
Tony had just heard of another strike :angry:
He loved that cap :blush:
It beats clacton on sea. :laughing:

He was camera shy :laughing:Big bulls in spain :open_mouth:

He drove for BIS in the late 70"s

Crap camera :unamused: Happy memories

To travey75.
I remember the GNR(Guarda national republica) helicopter,crew dressed in ■■■■ style leather boots,after patrolling the IP5,they would land at the BP after the Villa Formosa border,and partake in coffee cognacs.That road had the highest death rate in europe,and freight forwarders and agents could never understand what took a freighted truck so long to do 180 kms,like you have said.Nice mountain view near Guarda,we were so high,you could see the pilots in airliners flying above.

I only ever did Portugal once,and I was led to believe that the local truckers made many stops during the day for what was termed,“Coffee Pegaso”.Would this be the Coffee cognac■■?