Had a bit of a dispute with a fellow driver

He refuses to replace bulbs, thus putting in a defect , thus me having to replace the ■■■■■■■ bulb!!! I’m not sure on the company’s stance on replacing bulbs but i think he suffers from lazy ■■■■■■■ syndrome.

The world is going pc/health & safety crazy and i hate it . :imp:

if you work for who i think you work for, you must take the vehicle to the VMU and fill out a defect sheet and get them to rectify it

Plenty of companies I’ve been with through agencies don’t allow drivers to change bulbs. Mad I know but there you go. Given the complexity of actually getting to some headlight bulbs on new wagons, I’m more than glad to let someone else do it.

Slightly off topic, try changing the headlight bulb on a Vectra. The first line in Haines tells you to remove both front wheels!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

talk about dammed if you do…one of our drivers scratched his paint on a merc whilst changing a headlight bulb and got a written warning(wasnt his first offence)we all get told not to drive with a bulb out,to call up and organise getting it changed, another driver woke up in services and doing his morning check sees a headlight bulb is out, calls our maintanance dept who send out volvo to change the bulb. a £250 bill later that driver got a warning for causing a huge uneccasary cost to the company and told he should of done it hisself!

the local bus company i worked for,had some upset with the fitters and the gaffers over something,and go’s as follows,i did my walk round checks,to find a tail light out,so i see the sparky and tell him, only to be told i need a fitter to take the light cluster off, so i see the fitter, who takes the light unit off,and leaves it on the floor and walks away, i followed him to the tea room and said are you fixing it■■?,he turns around and tells me i need the sparky now, as the bulb is an electrical item,
!!! so i find the sparky who changes the bulb, then gets the fitter to put it back together, :confused: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :unamused:

When I was driving, the policy was that the drivers had to change all blown bulbs themselves, saving the company a £92 call out charge to fit bulbs… A lot of the other drivers had trouble with lazyitis (or lack of time, as they described it) All the vehicles I’ve driven, changing a bulb has never been very difficult. I’ve never owned a new renault megane tho… I don’t think I would ever want to own one, as changing a headlight involves taking the front wheels off, and reaching up through the wheelarch.

merc0447:
He refuses to replace bulbs, thus putting in a defect , thus me having to replace the [zb] bulb!!! I’m not sure on the company’s stance on replacing bulbs but i think he suffers from lazy [zb] syndrome.

The world is going pc/health & safety crazy and i hate it . :imp:

At least someone cares there about bulbs etc.

When I was working for McLellan’s I was expected to fix not only bulbs but some other more complicated electrical problems, but all I had was the manual to different model of vehicle and own tools borrowed from nightshift manager car.

I think they were doing that and hope, that drivers will not bother them with such annoying problems like unroadworthy vehicles as no-one was happy to be expected to fix something what later turned to be a problem for two hours for proffesional engineer from service van.

Once I found a flat tyre. Called the TO

• “Which axle is that?”
  • “Rear axle”
  • “There are twin wheels there, aren’t they?”
  • “Yes, there are”.
  • “So what’s the problem, three of them are still OK”.

:open_mouth:

9 bulbs & 5 lenses to take out/put in on most trailer changes… 8 of them last weekend! Used to be 12 bulbs on our old trailers with front marker lights & abs light to do aswell. They’re LED’s now :smiley:

Driveroneuk:
9 bulbs & 5 lenses to take out/put in on most trailer changes… 8 of them last weekend! Used to be 12 bulbs on our old trailers with front marker lights & abs light to do aswell. They’re LED’s now :smiley:

Is that the outfit from leyland…what a pain that is.

D’ya not?:
Is that the outfit from leyland…

No. A Large multi-national co.

what a pain that is.

Definately! Especially in the dark and/or rain.

Wheres Nick2008, sure he will be along in a min :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
if you work for who i think you work for, you must take the vehicle to the VMU and fill out a defect sheet and get them to rectify it

If he works where I think he works (north of the border), they don’t have a VMU on site.

There is only a VMU at Leicester (SRDC)

Gunner Til I Die:
Wheres Nick2008, sure he will be along in a min :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:
How many Bulbs does it take to give a TM a breakdown :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:
Dunno but we were told “and yeah gunner you know me” Drivers are not allowed to change bulbs or make any repairs to any vehicle or trailer.

Picks up trailer rings tm blown bulbs- Tm rings fitter trailers put on bay after bulbs fixed.
rings tm – pick up the other trailer get it loaded for xyz
rings tm blown bulbs
tm- get the fitter to do them while he’s there.
me- fitters gone to another job.
tm- pick up next trailer put on the bay instead.
me- cant
tm- why
me- the fitter used the bulbs to fixed the other trailer because they were the silly ones that he has to order.
tm- well put the other mt trailer on the bay
me- cant
tm- why
me-fitter took the break chamber off to go to the breakdown on the M5 like you told him to
TM- fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffk
tm- can you change a bulb
me- yes
tm- do it then
me- no we had letters telling us no-one can change bulbs due to the trailer fire the other week and I aint trained.
tm-can you use a screwdriver
me- yes
tm- well get on and do it
me- cant
tm-why
me-no screwdriver

phone went down with a large bang i went and had dinner in the canteen and move 3 trailers in 12hrs
And as they banked OT but paid poa out every week yep most of it was poa

You think changing a light bulb is a big deal? :open_mouth:

About 15yrs ago I worked for a Redditch firm, MJM. Right cowboy outfit. On there you were expected to fix it yourself. One driver rebuilt his engine on the side of the road after the engine seized. They sent out new shells to Madrid airport and he stripped it down and sorted it. They even gave him a £100 bonus. How kind. Another time three drivers are changing a wheel bearing on a trailer just south of Caen.

wheres Cairn

berewic:
Another time three drivers are changing a wheel bearing on a trailer just south of Cairn.

Heh-heh. Done that myself in a layby on the A64 southbound just before the ring road on a drawbar trailer. Was when I was working for a small 3 wagon firm. Did a lot of roadside repairs there. Best one has to be using a roofing bolt that was kicking about the cab to hold the gear linkage together on a Renault Major when the original one snapped as I changed gear to pull up the sliproad from the M62 onto the A1. It was still there 18 months later when they sold the wagon.

Done several airline repairs for myself and other drivers in the last couple of years. Thankfully modern ones simply have the line push onto a brass connector at the cab end and they always seem to snap off there so it’s a case of cutting off the remnants of the line on the union and pushing the pipe back on.

I once saw a young lad pop into Halfords and ask them to change his headlight bulb on his corsa :unamused: . When I tramp I always carry my tool kit and ensure that I’ve got plenty spares, bulbs, air lines, 24v jumpers and various other bits and bobs.

Scotchbaz:
I once saw a young lad pop into Halfords and ask them to change his headlight bulb on his corsa :unamused: .

When I had an 05 Corsa the headlight bulb went, so I tried to change it myself, after a couple of hours I gave up so I took it to Halfords and he struggled as well - its not as easy as it looks as half the engine needs to come out :open_mouth:

Scotchbaz:
I once saw a young lad pop into Halfords and ask them to change his headlight bulb on his corsa :unamused: . When I tramp I always carry my tool kit and ensure that I’ve got plenty spares, bulbs, air lines, 24v jumpers and various other bits and bobs.

I bought a headlight bulb from Halfrauds a while back and was asked if I wanted them to fit it :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: