Guy in Holland

To be honest…possibly this thread will not be a ‘best seller’ in terms of found chassis but the content counts, isn’t it?

Guy was an early “Present” in Holland by an importer from Soest (province of Utrecht, so central part of Holland) and
was active till about the early sixties. Here for the apetite some pictures to start with.

Guy-JansenSimons-Axel-1954.jpg

Guy-Luteijn-Koudekerke.jpg

And some more info…Messrs J.C. Bruigom from Soest were the first representatives for Guy Motors in Holland

Guy-Vixen-Commercial-Persil.jpg

Guy-Otter-Petroleumproducten.jpg

Again some fresh input…an advertisement of Guy Motor Distributors from Soest 1928.
Messrs J.C. Bruigom (owner) started a buscompany together with W.C. Tensen in May
1930. Possibly he expected to sell/apply some Guy-chassis for this company, however
one year later J.C. Bruigom left the buscompany. Unknown how many chassis in the
early thirties were sold, as bus-chassis and/or removal-chassis. The company Tensen
continued in the bus- and-travelbusiness for many years.

Especially for overseas-markets the Magazine “British Automobiles” published specials
on many chassis and hereby the Wolf-, Vixen- and Otter-article from spring 1951 when
N.V. Nederlandse Motoren Maatschappij from Rotterdam was Guy-importer.

Guy-1928.png

Great input & thanks for sharing.

Love the wiring diagram it was so simple compared to todays electics.

Cheers Dave.

Thank you Dave! Life was easy or more simple then…no set of FOUR batteries on current trucks (when only ONE
is doing the automotive-job) with extra capacity for coffee-makers, laptops, airconditioning, gps, fridges, heating,
board-computers, gsm, tv and all other extras.

After WW2 new trucks were hardly available on the continent as production in mostly damaged factories
proceeded very slow. Also not all components were available in reasonable quantities. Dutch company
Van Gend&Loos ordered 40 Guy-chassis directly in England and the 4 and 6 ton chassis were delivered in
february 1946. Engines were from Gardner or Meadows and a Gardner LK4 was optional.

In the fifties N.V. Nederlandse Motoren Maatschappij started assembly of Guy-chassis and was quite
fast in delivering a variety of Vixen-chassis. Also busses from the type Arab underfloor and Vixen
found their way to several customers.

One of the just after WW2 40 ordered Guy-chassis for Van Gend & Loos pictured in 1949

From Rutger Booy (Conam-info) I received a message that Guy-imports in the thirties concerned
mainly busses whereas in the second half of the fourties and the fifties commercial vehicles were
the main business. Gardner, Meadows and Perkins were the providers of engines then.

A small trip to the southern neigbours Belgium. In the early thirties Guy deilvered some trolleybusses
of which some pictures. Unknown is if in those years also trucks were delivered.

Out of a buyersguide from 1951 and advertisement of S.A. Willems Motors N.V. from Antwerpen, then
also manufacturers of chassis for trucks and busses themselves.

In 1959 on show in the UK a Guy Invincible (with probably a Gardner under the bonnet) just for delivery
to CementNatie (stevedoring and forwarding) in Antwerp. Also a picture on the road.

Guy in Belgium-1951.JPG

An other Guy with tipper from Buca.

Thank you Michel! A very clear picture and good that also tippers were applied.
BUCA as an abbrevation stands for BUchten (a small place near Sittard in the
province of Limburg close to Germany and Belgium) CArrosserie, bodyworks.

The tipper had mechanical indicators and the cilinder to tip the body works
horizontal which required quite some hydraulic pressure.

Bonne journée, A-J

Today I got some info that after WW2 Guy delivered quite some ARAB-busses to get Holland
moving again and possibly other manufacturers could not supply that fast. On the other hand
the Guy-brand was known in Holland as well as how to service Gardners and Perkins.

@ Eric TIPTOP…did you recognize the bonnetted Guy Invincible from CementNatie? See pics

Just a remark but I found out that both DAF (then named “Remorques” meaning trailers, which was
the core business before trucks were made) and Guy Motors Belgium (represented by Willems) had
the same address. Herewith some printed matter, respectively 1950 for DAF and 1951 for Willems.

Well, nothing to worry about just an observation. DAF later removed to Aartselaar which is located
south of Antwerp direction Brussels.

Guy in Belgium-1951.JPG

Just a question and some curiosity…was Guy Motors represented in France, Germany or
in the more southern countries? Meaning that WW2 affected quite some factories and the
countries needed to build up their daily business.

Just found an advertisement in Bovag-Magazine of december 1954 on Guy Motors in Holland.

Wervo superseded Nederlandse Motoren Maatschappij in 1954 till about 1956. Core business was
bussesfor several local bus-companies like BBA from southern Holland. At the same time Wervo
imported German Hanomag-chassis and apparently that was a signal with regard to sales-numbers
of Guy. About four years Guy was not represented in Holland till 1960 when Turkish “Trubim” from
Krimpen a/d/ IJssel (near Rotterdam) took over. Trubim had a bus-company “Twee Provinciën” as
neighbour, explaining some coöperartion in both sales and general service.

Herewith some later advertisements of Wervo with Guy, from Bovag-Magazines in 1955

Van Gend & Loos had various Guy-chassis and hereby a (photoshop by Jan Barnier) picture from
1946-1947 which gives a good view on transport just after WW2 with also horses in the fleet.

Guy-VGL-1946-1947.png

This LHD Guy Invincible belonged to a Belgian company too. Note the unusual sleeper cab conversion. R

Belgian Invincible LHD sleeper.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
This LHD Guy Invincible belonged to a Belgian company too. Note the unusual sleeper cab conversion. R

Brilliant post Robert! Euh, I think tiptop and/or mandator can shed a light on the coachbuilder.
To me it looks a bit of a removal-body on a bus-chassis but as said I await better info.

Beukelaer was a manufacturer of biscuits and chocolate…for which Belgium is very famous of.

ERF-Continental:

ERF-NGC-European:

Brilliant post Robert! Euh, I think tiptop and/or mandator can shed a light on the coachbuilder.
To me it looks a bit of a removal-body on a bus-chassis but as said I await better info.

Beukelaer was a manufacturer of biscuits and chocolate…for which Belgium is very famous of.

Thank you! This Matchbox toy is a surprise too. I had one of these as a child but it was unwritten. R

P1040494.jpg