Guy in Holland

And now you wish you saved this removal-van I guess. Well, good childhood-memories.

Fermont was a German removal-company with a branch-office in Antwerp. Fermont
still exists in Frankfurt am Main, about Fermont Antwerp nothing is known anymore.

Antwerp, Brussels and Gent originally had many removal-companies, as situated near
harbours and because of government not the least HQ for Europe.

Hereby another Guy-toy…not mine, I was more into DAF, ERF, Foden and Krupp.

Some small pictures out of Dutch brochures

Cab and bodies made by Van Hool for the De Beukelaer Biscuits, Antwerp.

mandator:

Thank you Mandator. That shouldn’t really surprise us, because Van Hool bodies were very stylish in the '60s. Here’s a pic of a Van Hool bodied coach I travelled to Freiburg on in 1968. Later, Van Hool semi-trailers were well engineered. Ro

Crikey looking back over the posts the bonnetted Invincible looked less than pretty. What did drivers generally think of the late 50s early 60s Warriors and Invincibles alongside the other famous British marques?

ERF-NGC-European:

mandator:

Thank you Mandator. That shouldn’t really surprise us, because Van Hool bodies were very stylish in the '60s. Here’s a pic of a Van Hool bodied coach I travelled to Freiburg on in 1968. Later, Van Hool semi-trailers were well engineered. Ro

Hey Robert,

Transeurope was only a tour office without busse in Ostend.
Busses were hired in of coach companies.

Gr,

tiptop495:

ERF-NGC-European:

mandator:

Hey Robert,

Transeurope was only a tour office without busse in Ostend.
Busses were hired in of coach companies.

Gr,

Nonetheless, the coach was Belgian and so was the driver, whose name I remember even after 53 years! He was Robert and for him, nothing was too much trouble - proper driver! He owned the Van Hool bodied coach, which had a Fiat chassis.

Golden memories! Fiat and Van Hool were special…with “CATRABEL” Van Hool had an agreement to distribute FIAT
in Belgium…preferably for (the coachwork of) busses and also trucks. Very succesful sales and exposure!

And in the West op Belgium was bodybuilder ‘Carrosserie Remi Desot’ of Gits (Roeselare) which had an agreement with Alfa Romeo and Lancia.

Here’s a whole view of the bonnetted LHD Guy in Belgium.

379f93e1f1aa964f77ace77e9bae6923.jpg

An exception as Guy also planned to do some business in Germany, wow, quite a challenge?

The leaflet is from between 1963 and 1968 as in that era Krupp form Essen got permission
to build ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ here better known as the VIM (V6) and VINE (V8), all four cycle.

The ■■■■■■■ PTG (Pressure Time Governor) was available and ZF supplied the gearbox.

Guy even had an office in Koblenz…not sure if some Guy-chassis were sold and/or any
service was provided apart from Krupp themselves and Germany-based ZF naturally.

In the leaflet a V6 was offered, the drawing shows a V8 though.

IMG_0550.jpg

ERF-Continental:
An exception as Guy also planned to do some business in Germany, wow, quite a challenge?

The leaflet is from between 1963 and 1968 as in that era Krupp form Essen got permission
to build ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ here better known as the VIM (V6) and VINE (V8), all four cycle.

The ■■■■■■■ PTG (Pressure Time Governor) was available and ZF supplied the gearbox.

Guy even had an office in Koblenz…not sure if some Guy-chassis were sold and/or any
service was provided apart from Krupp themselves and Germany-based ZF naturally.

In the leaflet a V6 was offered, the drawing shows a V8 though.

That’s a very interesting find, A-J - (And I thought you were the ‘Guy in Holland’!). :sunglasses:

I notice that the drawings show the J4T with a sleeper cab but right-hand-drive. In fact a handful of LHD Big-Js were exhibited at various motor shows around that period, so I wonder if they had been prepared by Guy for the Koblenz office. Here are a few pictures of them (see below).

Incidentally, I once measured the distance up the long slow hill going north out of Koblenz (I was driving a LHD MAN at the time) and it was IIRC 34kms. That would have made a J4T puff and pant a bit!

Scan_20160429 (12).jpg

Oh, for a bit of fun, here is an imaginary LHD J4T painted by the Spanish artist Manal Maseras!

Thanks Rowena for the extra info and pictures…picture 1 (was it on Brussels show) shows a strange feature
towards the sleeper (which came in at 1965 according to Guy) being a semi in height or…?

I wonder how (mainly continental) drivers would react when they were handed the keys to a European-Guy.

Moreover, how would (not far from the end for Krupp themselves) Krupp-agents react having a British Guy
on their yards…surprisingly LHD?

By the way, nothing wrong with the KRUPP-■■■■■■■ V-series…Van Steenbergen had some 15 on board once
in their wide range of Krupp-chassis, one of them a drawbar-trailer, the rest tractors with a long life

ERF-Continental:
Thanks Rowena for the extra info and pictures…picture 1 (was it on Brussels show) shows a strange feature
towards the sleeper (which came in at 1965 according to Guy) being a semi in height or…?

I wonder how (mainly continental) drivers would react when they were handed the keys to a European-Guy.

Moreover, how would (not far from the end for Krupp themselves) Krupp-agents react having a British Guy
on their yards…surprisingly LHD?

By the way, nothing wrong with the KRUPP-■■■■■■■ V-series…Van Steenbergen had some 15 on board once
in their wide range of Krupp-chassis, one of them a drawbar-trailer, the rest tractors with a long life

Ah yes! The Van Steenbergen Krupps:

fdR.jpg

As for the peculiar half-sleeper cab on the Guy at Brussels, that was probably a Jennings conversion. A lot of Motor Panels cabs received these: we called them ‘pigeon lofts’ - they would have been cramped to live in.

Perhaps a Dutch or Continental thread will be introduced as quite some information / documentation on AEC, Albion, Atkinson,
Bedford, Commer, Dodge, E.R.F., Foden, Leyland, Scammell, Seddon, Thornycroft, Unipower etc dropped into my basket lately.
Especially w.r.t. their role/attempt on the continent…

I sense something about KRUPP in Belgium coming up…from Mustang to Tiger and from 960 to 980 and 1080

ERF-Continental:
Perhaps a Dutch or Continental thread will be introduced as quite some information / documentation on AEC, Albion, Atkinson,
Bedford, Commer, Dodge, E.R.F., Foden, Leyland, Scammell, Seddon, Thornycroft, Unipower etc dropped into my basket lately.
Especially w.r.t. their role/attempt on the continent…

Yes, feel free to create new threads. I will happily support them and contribute to them. :wink:

ERF-Continental:
I sense something about KRUPP in Belgium coming up…from Mustang to Tiger and from 960 to 980 and 1080

Excellent picture. Very evocative of the period.

Another picture of the Ciment Natie…in front of the Guy-location in Antwerp as has been shown earlier
when the Beukelaer-combination was inputted.