GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

Bewick:
I reckon the silencer on this Bewick Big J is identical to the one on the SOM Big J ?

That also looks suspiciously like a Gardner 240 badge on that too. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

How did the SoM reg end up on a green FIAT though. :confused:

dave docwra:
I think the SOM fleet numbers for the 240 Gardners start at about MD1000.

Dave,

The big Percy Big J that I collected from Newton le Willows SoM depot had been allocated with a fleet designation of OD9■■,apologies I cannot recall the full number,but it definitely wasn’t over 1000,if I recall correctly,the B series ERF’s started the 1000 fleet numbers.
OD was Manchester depot,while MD was Maddiston depot.

The photo of the Big J on the ramp at Maddiston benefiting with the 240 badge shows a fleet designation of MD910.

David

5thwheel:

dave docwra:
I think the SOM fleet numbers for the 240 Gardners start at about MD1000.

Dave,

The big Percy Big J that I collected from Newton le Willows SoM depot had been allocated with a fleet designation of OD9■■,apologies I cannot recall the full number,but it definitely wasn’t over 1000,if I recall correctly,the B series ERF’s started the 1000 fleet numbers.
OD was Manchester depot,while MD was Maddiston depot.

The photo of the Big J on the ramp at Maddiston benefiting with the 240 badge shows a fleet designation of MD910.
David

Hi David, You are correct apart from some were in the 1000 range, Apparently MD910 was a Gardner 240 driven on nights by a Mr David Tweed.

Regards Dave.

A rather poor pic that has appeared on facebook, the poster drove Big J’s for Bakers but (in his words) " I never got to drive these with the big Gardner 240 as they were Faversham based and used on their continental work". credit to the original poster.

Pete.

Hi Dennis just found you a starter kit, an eight pot Percy now all you need is to find a BIG J rolling chassis to make your dreams and Myths come true, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Hi Dennis just found you a starter kit, an eight pot Percy now all you need is to find a BIG J rolling chassis to make your dreams and Myths come true, Buzzer.

You are “The Man” John ! :smiley: :smiley: :wink: I’m already onto it and I have found a Big J chassis at the back of the yard ! :sunglasses: May take a while as my tool kit is not what it used to be ! I ran about 20 of these big babies in the day but I never had a “whole” one out on the workshop floor ! Did three or four rebuilds like heads , blocks and pistons etc.

I reckon one of these may be goers for the job but I have another one with power steering which may suit better !
Cheers
Dennis.

Eh up Dennis, I would’nt take up “Buzzers” offer of the 8LXB in the photo, it’s a marine engine!
It will only be set to 200BHP and needs a 3blade 4 foot prop to make it work!

5Valve:
Eh up Dennis, I would’nt take up “Buzzers” offer of the 8LXB in the photo, it’s a marine engine!

He will be fine with that old lump as he can stick it in an old barge and cruise the lakes now he is retired and lots of time on his hands, Buzzer

5Valve:

Aye “5valve” those Wurzells from the South Coast think they can stuff anything into us innocent Carrot Noshers up 'ere in Gods County but we’er more than a match for them Cider Soakers any day ! So Buzzer will have to go to plan “B” and ship it to Hong Kong and suffer a large financial loss because I have had dealings with some of those Junk operators and they are ■■■■ hot Dealers !! It isn’t like leaning against the sales ring at Frome trying to steal a few beasts from poor farmers. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Would the contents of this confirm the existence of the fabled beast or is it only photographic evidence that counts?

Finishes on ebay Tonight 13/2/22

Steve

going to bid on this now , fingers crossed could prove something !but that wont be Dennis’ rear cab shot though :smiley:

EW

EW car truck & bus:
going to bid on this now , fingers crossed could prove something !but that wont be Dennis’ rear cab shot though :smiley:

EW

Will you Lads never give up !! :unamused: You’ve more chance of buying a Unicorn in Frome market !!! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

EW car truck & bus:

EW

Will you Lads never give up !! :unamused: You’ve more chance of buying a Unicorn in Frome market !!! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If it don’t show rear of “shed” don’t post it’s dead.

I suppose there is an outside chance that Guy dropped the big Gardner option at the end of '74? :smiley:

harry_gill:
If it don’t show rear of “shed” don’t post it’s dead.

Nice to hear from you Harry, how are you doing?

essexpete:
I suppose there is an outside chance that Guy dropped the big Gardner option at the end of '74? :smiley:

Hope not cost me £4.16 for this info / partial evidence :unamused: :smiley:

E.W.

You’ll be telling us that Mercedes didn’t fit V12s next!

Evening,

Apologies for delay in responding but we were away last weekend start of this week so did not get to look at the Guy motors price list from June 1975 as purchased from e bay with a hope of shining some light on this mystery… :unamused: well £4.19 poorer for the trying as within this booklet the largest engine offered at this time even into the tractors was the 6LXB!!! :astonished:
So the mystery continues …

Maybe after i use the tin hat to defend off the dis belivers here :frowning: perhaps i could turn it 180 degrees and use it as a begging bowl towards assistance towards trying to find some form of evidence (yes i know Dennis / Harry only pictures of the rear of shed considered in conclusion of the mystery) :smiley: BUT CASH WOULD HELP!!! :laughing:

Case continues ■■

E,W,

EW car truck & bus:
Evening,

Apologies for delay in responding but we were away last weekend start of this week so did not get to look at the Guy motors price list from June 1975 as purchased from e bay with a hope of shining some light on this mystery… :unamused: well £4.19 poorer for the trying as within this booklet the largest engine offered at this time even into the tractors was the 6LXB!!! :astonished:
So the mystery continues …

Maybe after i use the tin hat to defend off the dis belivers here :frowning: perhaps i could turn it 180 degrees and use it as a begging bowl towards assistance towards trying to find some form of evidence (yes i know Dennis / Harry only pictures of the rear of shed considered in conclusion of the mystery) :smiley: BUT CASH WOULD HELP!!! :laughing:

Case continues ■■

E,W,

So if “H” and me offered to send you two cheques for £ 2 .9:5p each could we deduct the cost of second-class postage ? bearing in mind that neither “H” or me do electronic banking ( cash only in brown envelopes) but on the other hand E.W. if you believe that should the 1970’s Guy sales brochure list an 8LXB option it does not mean that you could actually buy one ! :blush: Same as Buzzer might have you believe that you can buy Unicorns in Frome livestock mart ( I’ve tried to convince him that Unicorns are mythical beasts but he seems determined to pursue the matter) as he keeps attending the mart but to no avail !! Regards Dennis. :unamused: :wink: