GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

Well done Dennis, at least the ‘boat anchors’ are almost back where they belong now.

Pete.

windrush:
Well done Dennis, at least the ‘boat anchors’ are almost back where they belong now.

Pete.

Now then “windrush” You know very well that the good old Gardner Engine did very well in its Heyday, The very best on fuel returns 12 mpg with a 150, Of course they didnt keep up with the times & other engine makers, But give me a Gardner anytime in that era, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

Bewick:
Sorry Lads but I’ve had a busy 24 hrs shipping the whole fleet of Big J 240LXB’s “off shore” because of all the uncertainty of the Brexit shambles. At short notice I had to charter a “Steam Racket” ferry and I had a right grueller getting them all on board at Heysham to make the evening sailing to the IOM. Also I had a right [zb] job contacting my Clearing Agent on the IOM ( C. W. Stevedores Ltd) as he was in the Boozer and refused to answer his phone as he claimed to be on his Lunch break ! Anyway, all’s well that ends well and the 39 Big J’s, or is it 40 ? I had to load them onto the ferry that sharp I could have miss counted !! are all safely secreted away offshore and untouchable and in the care of C. W. Security Services Ltd. But the greedy [zb] insisted on payment up fron’t, cash only in a carrier bag on the passenger side of the first one off the ferry !! Now is that anyway to run a business “cash only” but I suppose I am saving the VAT !! Much relieved Phew ! but that was a close call ! Cheers Bewick.

:laughing: :laughing: Are you storing them in primer and coating all parts with oil so that upon repatriation we’ll see 40 smoking dragons wending their proud way across the newly-reclaimed British countryside :sunglasses: ? Robert

Bewick:
Sorry Lads but I’ve had a busy 24 hrs shipping the whole fleet of Big J 240LXB’s “off shore” because of all the uncertainty of the Brexit shambles. At short notice I had to charter a “Steam Racket” ferry and I had a right grueller getting them all on board at Heysham to make the evening sailing to the IOM. Also I had a right [zb] job contacting my Clearing Agent on the IOM ( C. W. Stevedores Ltd) as he was in the Boozer and refused to answer his phone as he claimed to be on his Lunch break ! Anyway, all’s well that ends well and the 39 Big J’s, or is it 40 ? I had to load them onto the ferry that sharp I could have miss counted !! are all safely secreted away offshore and untouchable and in the care of C. W. Security Services Ltd. But the greedy [zb] insisted on payment up fron’t, cash only in a carrier bag on the passenger side of the first one off the ferry !! Now is that anyway to run a business “cash only” but I suppose I am saving the VAT !! Much relieved Phew ! but that was a close call ! Cheers Bewick.

C W Stevedores as well as C W Security? That lot will be sold already and the proceeds drank in T’Queens Dennis!! Anon 1

pete smith:

Bewick:

C W Stevedores as well as C W Security? That lot will be sold already and the proceeds drank in T’Queens Dennis!! Anon 1

Morning,C W Stevedores here. :sunglasses:
There were only 38 x 240 Gardners,the Steam - Packet pinched two as back up power units for t’ferry. C W Security Services have them under lock and key in a safe place,so dunna worry thisens. :laughing:
Thanks for the cash Dennis,I’m off to France soon so it will come in handy.
Au revoir……………. :grimacing:

ERF-NGC-European:

Bewick:

:laughing: :laughing: Are you storing them in primer and coating all parts with oil so that upon repatriation we’ll see 40 smoking dragons wending their proud way across the newly-reclaimed British countryside :sunglasses: ? Robert

Oh, and while they’re lounging off-shore, you might consider re-cabbing them with sleepers (see below) to hide the protruding 8LXB from evidence hunters! Robert

Chris Webb:
There were only 38 x 240 Gardners,the Steam - Packet pinched two as back up power units for t’ferry. C W Security Services have them under lock and key in a safe place,so dunna worry thisens. :laughing:

Will you be using your log book Chris, :confused: you don’t want to waste all that money on bus fares. :slight_smile:

Lawrence Dunbar:

windrush:

Pete.

Now then “windrush” You know very well that the good old Gardner Engine did very well in its Heyday, The very best on fuel returns 12 mpg with a 150, Of course they didnt keep up with the times & other engine makers, But give me a Gardner anytime in that era, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Only a ‘tongue in cheek’ remark Larry before ‘you know who’ put his twopennyworth in :wink: Gardner were my favourite make of engine and I would love one of their early 20th century gas engines or a later single pot laboratory one to exhibit at shows but alas, being only on a poor tipper drivers pension, that will never happen. :cry: :wink:

Regarding shows, I believe Norman Carr isn’t too well now and can no longer drive, do you see anything of him these days?

Pete.

mushroomman:

Chris Webb:

Will you be using your log book Chris, :confused: you don’t want to waste all that money on bus fares. :slight_smile:

:smiley:
If only Steve,our lass wouldn’t be keen though.
I’m afraid it’s easyJet IOM-Liverpool-Nice-Liverpool-IOM. :laughing:

5thwheel:
“DEANB”]Cant remember if i popped this pic on before and although not proof,thats a gardner 240 badge in the windscreen ! :laughing:

How on earth(flat or otherwise!)did you spot that badge in the windscreen Dean?
David

Paul Gee spotted it David. :wink:

windrush:

Lawrence Dunbar:

windrush:

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Only a ‘tongue in cheek’ remark Larry before ‘you know who’ put his twopennyworth in :wink: Gardner were my favourite make of engine and I would love one of their early 20th century gas engines or a later single pot laboratory one to exhibit at shows but alas, being only on a poor tipper drivers pension, that will never happen. :cry: :wink:

Regarding shows, I believe Norman Carr isn’t too well now and can no longer drive, do you see anything of him these days?

Pete.

Hi Pete, Is this the Norman Carr with the tractor seat s,Plus lots of old gear I was speaking to him a couple of weeks ago, He has a scooter to get to the shops, He s not keeping too bad at present, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Pete, Is this the Norman Carr with the tractor seat s,Plus lots of old gear I was speaking to him a couple of weeks ago, He has a scooter to get to the shops, He s not keeping too bad at present, Regards Larry.

That’s him Larry, drove for Mintos. He no longer does vintage rallies as he can no longer drive apparently, never really been ‘right’ since his lad died but we used to see him a few times during the year at shows. He sold his collection off, a friend of mine, Eric Moody who drove for Barnfather and Wilkes for many years, bought some of it. Glad he is getting around anyway, thank’s for the info.

Pete.

DEANB:

5thwheel:
“DEANB”]Cant remember if i popped this pic on before and although not proof,thats a gardner 240 badge in the windscreen ! :laughing:

How on earth(flat or otherwise!)did you spot that badge in the windscreen Dean?
David

Paul Gee spotted it David. :wink:

Well good on Paul for spotting it Dean,and good on you for taking the time and trouble to post it,thank you.

David

There’s a rumour going round that C.W. Security has hired out a couple of Bewick’s engines to power the Laxey Wheel in times of drought. Any reports of “Fog on the mountain” can be taken with a pinch of salt as it will only be a pair of Patricroft’s finest attempting to lull gullible tourists into believing that the thing actually works.

As part of my deal ( cash only and car parks paid!) with C.W. Security they have to crack up the 36 8LXB’s ( I know there has been a bit shrinkage as to the total number I shipped !) every Saturday so on a clear day stood on Kells at Whitehaven I will be able to see the blue smoke rising on the IOM ! However, as I am convinced I am possibly dealing with a very “devious” outfit on the IOM who will check out the weather forecast and if it is ■■■■■ and will be rain and low cloud my Agent “in charge” on the Island will not be fussed about laying in his Pit until “opening time” then going “on the ■■■■” for the rest of the day BUT I will still have to send over the “spondulics” in a carrier bag on a Steam Racket sailing from Heysham ! But what can you do you have to take a Bloke at his word eh! But goodness only knows how many 8LXB’s I may get back when all this Brexit bollox subsides ! not very many I suspect !Or I may get them ALL back with AEC 505 engines fitted !! Fingers crossed but I wont hold my breath ! Cheers Dennis.

I’ve just been in conversation with two ex Smith drivers and they are both adamant that they drove 240 Gardner powered Guys [emoji1303]

gazsa401:
I’ve just been in conversation with two ex Smith drivers and they are both adamant that they drove 240 Gardner powered Guys [emoji1303]

Hi “gazsa401” I dont doubt your comments for a moment, Im a Gardner man I had two 150s in My Fodens & they did me very well, But until there is some photographic evidence of these 240s That SOM Had Its then & only then that I will accept that they did operate these motors with the good old 240 Gardners in, :question: :question: :question: Regards Larry.

gazsa401:

So that makes 3 of us then…still won’t convince the doubters,I don’t know what is so special about a photo,the original poster,Dennis asked to hear from,amongst others,drivers,well he has heard from 3 now,and is still unconvinced the big Percy was fitted to the BJ,I know I drove one,it matters not a jot that others disbelieve me!

David

5thwheel:

gazsa401:

So that makes 3 of us then…still won’t convince the doubters,I don’t know what is so special about a photo,the original poster,Dennis asked to hear from,amongst others,drivers,well he has heard from 3 now,and is still unconvinced the big Percy was fitted to the BJ,I know I drove one,it matters not a jot that others disbelieve me!

David

Well thats fine by me David, Its a pity you didnt take a picture of such a fine bit of british engineering, I never had the pleasure of driving a motor with a 240 in I did enjoy the old 150 & the 180, The 150 was IMO The best of the Gardner range, I certainley made a very good living with the Fodens I had in the earley 70s, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

5thwheel:

gazsa401:

David

Well thats fine by me David, Its a pity you didnt take a picture of such a fine bit of british engineering, I never had the pleasure of driving a motor with a 240 in I did enjoy the old 150 & the 180, The 150 was IMO The best of the Gardner range, I certainley made a very good living with the Fodens I had in the earley 70s, Regards Larry.

Hiya,
I’ve driven in the same era a 240 Gardner and a 220 ■■■■■■■ and the
■■■■■■■ outshone the Gardner every time and every aspect except I
suppose fuel consumption, but of course I was only the driver.
thanks harry, long retired.