GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

harry_gill:
I’ve driven in the same era a 240 Gardner and a 220 ■■■■■■■ and the
■■■■■■■ outshone the Gardner every time and every aspect except I
suppose fuel consumption, but of course I was only the driver.
thanks harry, long retired.

If I’ve read it right the 8 LXB provided more power and torque than a ■■■■■■■ 250 let alone 220 ?.Anorak might be able to confirm or bust that theory.

Hello David
I’m on a group on Facebook called
Guy Lorries and Buses past and prey
I’ve been having a conversation with 3 different drivers and fitters who have either driven or worked on 8LXB powered Guy Big Js all 3 of them worked for SoM

I’ve no doubt that they’re telling nothing but the truth why would they lie
Unfortunately I don’t know how to post my conversation onto here
Cheers Gary

gazsa401:
Hello David
I’ve been having a conversation with 3 different drivers and fitters who have either driven or worked on 8LXB powered Guy Big Js all 3 of them worked for SoM

Cheers Gary

Hi Gary,

My introduction to the “mythical” beast is already documented on this thread so there is no need to reiterate my introduction.

I don’t “do” FB I’m afraid,but interested to hear of other SoM drivers/fitters,if any were from Manchester depot,OD Fleet prefix,I would be pleased to email them if so and would be pleased to forward my email address to you by PM.

David

gazsa401:
Hello David

Cheers Gary

You do a screen grab- CTRL Print Screen, then trim the border to size using MS Paint. You then attach the resulting picture to your post, so that FB avoiders can read the pages on here.

Hey up Anorak
I don’t have a computer only a I phone
Cheers Gary

So it’s not me that has resurrected this annoying thread but as we are approaching the “festive season” the “Believers” have to rally around something so it has to be a “240LXB” Big J ! Well I believed there was a Santa once upon a time but I never ever saw a shot of him in real life :wink: :laughing: However, I’m sure we all remember the Late Trev H from Penkridge who we all can agree was a very level headed straight forward Lad, and is sadly missed ! Well Trev never wavered in his claim to have gone to Tech College in Wolverampton with Guy Motors Apprentices and later on visited Fallings Park on many occasions when he worked for BRS who were large operators of Guy Big J. And Trev never once acknowledged that he had ever seen a 240LXB Big J nor had he ever heard any of the Guy Lads talk about one ! Oh! and the only Big J’s I used to come across operated by SOM were ■■■■■■■ engined.
So let “battle” sorry “discussion” commence ! Who knows Santa might pay me a visit this year with said photos, side and rear of the mythical beast, Santa might even have one yoked to his Sleigh ! a far better set up than “Eight” Rudolphs ! Cheers Dennis. :wink: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:

gazsa401:
Hello David

Cheers Gary

You do a screen grab- CTRL Print Screen, then trim the border to size using MS Paint. You then attach the resulting picture to your post, so that FB avoiders can read the pages on here.

And just HOW did you come by the moniker, “Anorak”? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I heard a rumor that there was one imported from New Zealand and has been operating in outback Australia …but then again its only a rumor!!!

Bewick last seen heading for the airport with his box Brownie in his hand!

No, not this one! Robert

Harry Gill’s motor, by any chance?

Retired Old ■■■■:

Hiya,
Nah’ ROF you can see out’t “winders”.
thanks harry, long retired.

Hi, H. The motor doesn’t appear to be one of the “standard” ■■■■■■■ 205s that BRS were so fond of. Both the air intake and exhaust are non-standard and there appears to be a huge turbo lurking at the back end of the engine just where you would expect to see the extra two cylinders. :wink: :wink: And that seems to be a spark arrester on top of the stack as well. Perhaps one of our Midlands ex-drivers could offer an explanation. Jakey?

Joints had a few of these this was a road unit that ended upas a shunt unit this courtesy of cc cheers John

image.png

'Tis the season to be jolly about this sort of thing! All you need is this:

Now close your eyes. Yes, nice and tight! And say, ‘I believe in Big-J 240s’ three times as you turn widdershins.

Nearly there!

88522691b99ab9e293af6a207f431378--disney-pics-disney-cruiseplan.jpg

Sprinkle your 8LXB-grade fairy-dust on the chassis…

And hey presto! Whoops, can anyone finish the spell for us? :unamused:

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
'Tis the season to be jolly about this sort of thing! All you need is this:

Now close your eyes. Yes, nice and tight! And say, ‘I believe in Big-J 240s’ three times as you turn widdershins.

Nearly there!

Sprinkle your 8LXB-grade fairy-dust on the chassis…

And hey presto! Whoops, can anyone finish the spell for us? :unamused:

Robert

I tried but now there’s a bleedin great big lump of motor across the catwalk and the propshaft doesn’t fit.Then I asked the fairies to extend the wheelbase and they said you only get one request and they’ve refused to put the ■■■■■■■ back in it.But look on the bright side they’ve painted it in the livery of a firm called Smith of Maddison.Also found out that no photographs will of it will actually appear as part of the spell.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Nah, Harry never cleaned his motor to such a high standard. :smiley:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Hi, H. The motor doesn’t appear to be one of the “standard” ■■■■■■■ 205s that BRS were so fond of. Both the air intake and exhaust are non-standard and there appears to be a huge turbo lurking at the back end of the engine just where you would expect to see the extra two cylinders. :wink: :wink: And that seems to be a spark arrester on top of the stack as well. Perhaps one of our Midlands ex-drivers could offer an explanation. Jakey?

The motor is a Roller ROF,just to avoid any misconception that is!!!

David

grumpy old man:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Hiya,
Have driven several B Js and with the Roller inboard, were a handy tool for the
era but as the learned gentlemen that was far too pristine for any of mine.
thanks harry, long retired PS Harry never cleaned his vehicle period.

harry_gill:

grumpy old man:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Hiya,
Have driven several B Js and with the Roller inboard, were a handy tool for the
era but as the learned gentlemen that was far too pristine for any of mine.
thanks harry, long retired PS Harry never cleaned his vehicle period.

Robert’s photo of the beast looks like a “little” Big J. Maybe one of the AV505-emgined units?