GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

pete smith:
Morning Dennis,
Just spotted an advert in Classic truck magazine it looks like one of those elusive Big J’s is for sale in your manor?
Is Mr ■■■■ correct about the contents of your barn? Cheer Pete
P̶s̶.̶ ̶A̶p̶o̶l̶o̶g̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶i̶d̶e̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶p̶t̶o̶p̶ :blush:

Well I had a weekend away at the family holiday caravan, And while I was there I got talking to a Jock whos uncle drove for SOM, This was in the pub of course he had a few malts the same tastes as mine So I asked him if he could remember what type of wagon his uncle drove, And much to my surprise the only thing he could mind of that it had a massive big 8 Cylinder engine, So perhaps it may have or may not have been a The elusive Big Jaguar :question: :question: :question: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete smith:
Morning Dennis,
Just spotted an advert in Classic truck magazine it looks like one of those elusive Big J’s is for sale in your manor?
P̶s̶.̶ ̶A̶p̶o̶l̶o̶g̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶i̶m̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶i̶d̶e̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶l̶a̶p̶t̶o̶p̶ :blush:

Well I had a weekend away at the family holiday caravan, And while I was there I got talking to a Jock whos uncle drove for SOM, This was in the pub of course he had a few malts the same tastes as mine So I asked him if he could remember what type of wagon his uncle drove, And much to my surprise the only thing he could mind of that it had a massive big 8 Cylinder engine, So perhaps it may have or may not have been a The elusive Big Jaguar :question: :question: :question: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: , Regards Larry.

Was that “nugget” of info offered at the start of the “session” Larry or near to chucking out time ? sounds a bit “iffy” to me mate ! :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Hello Dennis, This conversation was after the first drink, Mind you he seemed quite positive about the big 8 cylinder engine, Allthough he wasnt a driver himself, I he is there the next time I go I will ask him agian perhaps he might have a photo or two, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hello Dennis, This conversation was after the first drink, Mind you he seemed quite positive about the big 8 cylinder engine, Allthough he wasnt a driver himself, I he is there the next time I go I will ask him agian perhaps he might have a photo or two, :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: , Regards Larry.

If he “clocks” you coming in Larry he’ll suddenly remember what the last ■■■■ up cost him and beat a hasty retreat :open_mouth: :wink: Anyways if he can only recall an 8LXB Big J when the SOM fleet was probably 95% ■■■■■■■ his memory must be defo suspect ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

pete smith:
Morning Dennis,

Just saw this my self in classic truck ,has anyone made enquires about it ?

8lxb.jpgHere’s a pretty 8LXB. Place in Brisbane rebuilds and services Gardners. Incidentally there was a bloke on the Classic Machinery Network website who reckons he used to drive an 8LXB powered Big J so they must have been around!

Punchy Dan:

pete smith:
Morning Dennis,

I’ve tried ringing and sent text but Dennis must be having second thought’s about selling it or he has lost the phone? Come off it Dan you don’t think they existed as well?

Silverdale:
0Here’s a pretty 8LXB. Place in Brisbane rebuilds and services Gardners. Incidentally there was a bloke on the Classic Machinery Network website who reckons he used to drive an 8LXB powered Big J so they must have been around!

I read that too ,I posted the quote from classic machinery on here a few pages back .

Lawrence Dunbar:

pete smith:
Morning Dennis,

This talk about 8LXB’s is all well and good so i’ll digress, Mr Dunbar, I was Edinburgh last Monday and decided that I deserved a small treat, I bought myself a bottle of a brew from Islay…whiskybase.com/whiskies/whi … le-malt-rg
Now nobody is saying who brewed it (a secret :wink: ) but the nice man in the shop mentioned…Lagavulin.
It’s an excellent tasty drop.

pete smith:

Punchy Dan:

pete smith:
Morning Dennis,

I’ve tried ringing and sent text but Dennis must be having second thought’s about selling it or he has lost the phone? Come off it Dan you don’t think they existed as well?

It’s a bad signal up’ere int’ sticks Pete so you must have hit a bad patch when you tried my number, or your phone is on the “blink” Mate ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

harry_gill:

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:
It has crossed my mind, or what’s left of it, that Bewick may like to put his considerable money where his mouth is-
Should proof of the beast be forthcoming, would he consider donating a bottle of Scotland’s finest to each of the “believers”? A drop in the ocean, no doubt, to a chap with a multi million pound pension fund, not to mention a barn full of obsolete engines up in th’ills.

I couldn’t possibly encourage my Elders, and my betters, to imbibe more than they already do :open_mouth: Plus I am averse to being first at the bar, it’s funny but my shoe lace always comes undone just before I reach the bar ! make mine a pint mate I’ll be with you in a mo ! Cheers Bewick.

Hiya,
I must have a similar trait Dennis, because a pal of mine (40 odd years),
still doesn’t know my name, he always refers to me as Watt Yavin when
he reaches the bar he always beats me and shouts back to me Watt
Yavvin a pint and I always shout back aye and a Glenfyddych as you do.
well he is a former haulier so must be standing canny.
thanks harry, long retired.

Aye “H” more tricks than a Monkey :wink: Cheers Dennis.

That “haulier pal” of your’s can’t be our old pal Geordie Walton, Harry, as well as short arms and deep pockets he has zip fasteners on the pockets that can only be opened from the inside!!! :imp: :imp: :unamused: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Hiya,
Yes Kev got it in one, you know the Fellah’ equally as well as me,
watertight but a great guy to know don’t see much of him these
days with him living the retired life in Seahouses.
thanks harry, long retired.

Punchy Dan:

Silverdale:
0Here’s a pretty 8LXB. Place in Brisbane rebuilds and services Gardners. Incidentally there was a bloke on the Classic Machinery Network website who reckons he used to drive an 8LXB powered Big J so they must have been around!

I read that too ,I posted the quote from classic machinery on here a few pages back .

Sorry about repeat. Missed your post earlier. Still a good pic though.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

If he “clocks” you coming in Larry he’ll suddenly remember what the last ■■■■ up cost him and beat a hasty retreat :open_mouth: :wink: Anyways if he can only recall an 8LXB Big J when the SOM fleet was probably 95% ■■■■■■■ his memory must be defo suspect ! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

During my years with SoM Dennis,the ratio Gardner to ■■■■■■■ was never as high as that,fleet renewal was ongoin,week in week out,I regularily used to receive trailers from Maddiston with 2 new Gardner 240 powered ERF’s at Garstang change over,a truer ratio figure would be in the region of 50%,remember that there were some 30 other trailers coming down from Maddiston every night,with a reduced number of day change overs,plus roamers and trampers,all
taking trailers “darn scarf”,the vast majority were 240 Percy powered,James and Alex,being canny Scotsmen didn’t like paying for the extra fuel consumption of the ■■■■■■■ diesel!

David

5thwheel:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

During my years with SoM Dennis,the ratio Gardner to ■■■■■■■ was never as high as that,fleet renewal was ongoin,week in week out,I regularily used to receive trailers from Maddiston with 2 new Gardner 240 powered ERF’s at Garstang change over,a truer ratio figure would be in the region of 50%,remember that there were some 30 other trailers coming down from Maddiston every night,with a reduced number of day change overs,plus roamers and trampers,all
taking trailers “darn scarf”,the vast majority were 240 Percy powered,James and Alex,being canny Scotsmen didn’t like paying for the extra fuel consumption of the ■■■■■■■ diesel!

David

The two Smith Bros had left the company by the 240LXB was announced and the SOM buying policy would have been in the hands of The United Group by this time. IIRC J. & A. sold the Company to United group in 1968. Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

David

The two Smith Bros had left the company by the 240LXB was announced and the SOM buying policy would have been in the hands of The United Group by this time. IIRC J. & A. sold the Company to United group in 1968. Cheers Dennis.

Dennis,you and I have had this disagreement previously,I had a personal issue that I was forced into,I spoke with the then depot manager,Harold Gilmore,he made an arrangement for me to speak with Alex Smith who in turn did his very best to assist me,I joined in 1976 and left in 1982,I spoke with Alex Smith at Maddiston depot in 1978/9 IIRC.

David

Any more news on the Classic Truck advert,seems to have died a death,surely someone has some knowledge who placed it and where the definitive beast lays dormant?!?

David

I was up in Bewickshire twice last week ,I would of viewed said lorry but didn’t have time

Punchy Dan:
I was up in Bewickshire twice last week ,I would of viewed said lorry but didn’t have time

No time Dan? :open_mouth: Your old chap found plenty of time to park up in odd places and pick mushrooms! :laughing: Dennis would have sworn you to secrecy if you had managed to get a viewing, and after he had poured a few single malts down your neck you would have had no recollection of his barn contents anyway.

Pete.

windrush:

Punchy Dan:

No time Dan? :open_mouth: Your old chap found plenty of time to park up in odd places and pick mushrooms! :laughing: Dennis would have sworn you to secrecy if you had managed to get a viewing, and after he had poured a few single malts down your neck you would have had no recollection of his barn contents anyway.

Pete.

I was only thinking of mushrooms today as I came up longcliffe ,what it being wet then warm ! I bet he never let on about the time he was ill in hospital after trying some other types though Pete . :unamused: