GUY Big J 8LXB Tractor Unit

Please! Somebody give the number on the above ad a call and ask the supposed owner of this elusive vehicle If they can come and take some pics of the said from all the required angles and the manufacturers plate for final proof that this ‘Nessie’ exists, this thread has got more pages now than a Valkyrie post! :laughing: Franky.

Frankydobo:
Please! Somebody give the number on the above ad a call and ask the supposed owner of this elusive vehicle If they can come and take some pics of the said from all the required angles and the manufacturers plate for final proof that this ‘Nessie’ exists, this thread has got more pages now than a Valkyrie post! :laughing: Franky.

I have rang the number this afternoon Franky and left a message as well, nowt back as yet, was expecting a call back asking which one of the 39 are you interested in!

pete smith:

Frankydobo:

I have rang the number this afternoon Franky and left a message as well, nowt back as yet, was expecting a call back asking which one of the 39 are you interested in!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

pete smith:

Frankydobo:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote
Who’s voice was on the recorded message Pete ? Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: it wasn’t me even though it might have sounded a bit like me :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

ERF-NGC-European:

pete smith:

Frankydobo:

[/quote
Who’s voice was on the recorded message Pete ? Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: it wasn’t me even though it might have sounded a bit like me :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Cheers Dennis.

It’s Elvis singing wooden heart then mumbling something about Adolf wanting the horst wessel but he didn’t know how to sing that in German.The rest is history.Adolf stormed off in a temper shouting something incoherent along the lines of Americans driving British trucks which were slower than Mercs and who can’t speak proper German and leaving orders that all those built must be destroyed.But somehow the build records were saved.Which is where VALKYRIE entered the scene :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Bewick:

ERF-NGC-European:

pete smith:

Frankydobo:

[/quote

Dennis it may have been CF , His dislike for these well made last forever Engines may have got him going, What do you think :question: :question: :question: , Regards Larry.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Well they must have done Dennis , They went out of the printing game some years ago, I Do wish that someone would come up with some photographic evidence of this SOM Big J showing a great 8 LXB Sticking out of the rear of the cab, Then all the doubters of such a motor can admit defeat or get ■■■■■■ while waiting for this long awaited info to happen, I do hope It happens before I pop my clogs Not that Im in any great hurry mind, Ive a large stock of S/Malts to wade through before I go, Regards Larry.

They just won’t give up Larry :blush: and considering as how many Big J 8LXB chassis are supposed to have been built it is “VERY STRANGE” that not one shot exists eh! But as I’ve said previously I was told on good authority that one of these Big J’s was seen on the North bound M74 with Elvis at the wheel and Hitler riding as mate 'cause they had a wide load on ! Cheers Dennis.

Hiya,
Just out of flunter a bit but the other night and in a pub an artiste "he was crap"announced he was going to render an Elvis song as I was making for the loo he he asked me when en-route, Had I ever met Elvis I told him I hadn’t cheeky git told me that at my age it wouldn’t be long before I did, I did ask him if I would have time to finish my Glenfyddich before I’d need to shake hands with the man, and my reply drew a bigger laugh than he got with his quip, I do hate cheeky kids.

Morning Dennis,
No personal voice message on that number just the standard service provider one, was hoping for a call back to get a pic for the “believers” but the mystery goes on, as you know I’m with you on this as both Trev H and a local lad who worked at Guy Motors have said that none was ever built.
The advert may have been a typo though and should have read, " Ex Smith’s of Milnthorpe"? Got one of my lads up round Sellafield and Millom today so if I do get a call back he will be heading there for a photo shoot, Cheer’s Pete

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

bma.finland:

Hi Benkku,
Cracking drawing as usual, have you been looking in Dennis’s barn? :smiley:

bma.finland:

I’ve got to say bma. that this is about the only view we will see of an 8LXB stuck out of the back of Guy Big J :frowning: , but an excellent drawing as usual ! Regards Dennis. :wink:

bma.finland:

Thanks BMA - if you could just post the photo you sketched that from, that would be great…

Just also want to show appreciation for all the great drawings you have posted here.

Thank you.

John

Talking of artwork I’m sure either one of the Lorry artists Mike Jefferies or Alan Spillett had done a painting of a Smiths Big J showing a 240 badge on the grille, I would doubt those artists would paint something they hadn’t seen or had a photo of, I know there is artists licence but I would have thought the painting appeared before this thread got going!
Franky :smiling_imp:

Frankydobo:
Talking of artwork I’m sure either one of the Lorry artists Mike Jefferies or Alan Spillett had done a painting of a Smiths Big J showing a 240 badge on the grille, I would doubt those artists would paint something they hadn’t seen or had a photo of, I know there is artists licence but I would have thought the painting appeared before this thread got going!

I agree with you totally on this one Franky, These two artists are really good, Its just a pity that they didnt show the rear of the cab With the Gardner 8 LX Sticking out, But I do hope that in due course someone will produce a photo of this Big J,Regards Larry.

Frankydobo:

Hiya,
I drove an Atki once with a 240 Gardner badge on the grill I didn’t do the adaption but you can rest assured it was only a 180 under the bonnet and didn’t fool anyone it was crap on the hills and used oil like it was going out of fashion so I got a look at the little Percy twice a day and counted the pots to make sure, but would an artist who was doing a painting of my lorry have bothered to ask me was it the 240 inboard or would he have painted it as was, ideally it was such a banger I’d have preferred him to put a match to it while I was in the cafe having my breakfast.

:laughing: Ha ha too true Harry, amazing how nobody wanted to nick those types of motors either while you were enjoying tiffin, even leaving the door open and the engine running the sods were still there when you came out the Caff! Franky.

It has crossed my mind, or what’s left of it, that Bewick may like to put his considerable money where his mouth is-
Should proof of the beast be forthcoming, would he consider donating a bottle of Scotland’s finest to each of the “believers”? A drop in the ocean, no doubt, to a chap with a multi million pound pension fund, not to mention a barn full of obsolete engines up in th’ills.

Retired Old ■■■■:
It has crossed my mind, or what’s left of it, that Bewick may like to put his considerable money where his mouth is-
Should proof of the beast be forthcoming, would he consider donating a bottle of Scotland’s finest to each of the “believers”? A drop in the ocean, no doubt, to a chap with a multi million pound pension fund, not to mention a barn full of obsolete engines up in th’ills.

I couldn’t possibly encourage my Elders, and my betters, to imbibe more than they already do :open_mouth: Plus I am averse to being first at the bar, it’s funny but my shoe lace always comes undone just before I reach the bar ! make mine a pint mate I’ll be with you in a mo ! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:

I couldn’t possibly encourage my Elders, and my betters, to imbibe more than they already do :open_mouth: Plus I am averse to being first at the bar, it’s funny but my shoe lace always comes undone just before I reach the bar ! make mine a pint mate I’ll be with you in a mo ! Cheers Bewick.

Hiya,
I must have a similar trait Dennis, because a pal of mine (40 odd years),
still doesn’t know my name, he always refers to me as Watt Yavin when
he reaches the bar he always beats me :laughing: and shouts back to me Watt
Yavvin a pint and I always shout back aye and a Glenfyddych as you do.
well he is a former haulier so must be standing canny.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

Bewick:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Hiya,
I must have a similar trait Dennis, because a pal of mine (40 odd years),
still doesn’t know my name, he always refers to me as Watt Yavin when
he reaches the bar he always beats me and shouts back to me Watt
Yavvin a pint and I always shout back aye and a Glenfyddych as you do.
well he is a former haulier so must be standing canny.
thanks harry, long retired.

Aye “H” more tricks than a Monkey :wink: Cheers Dennis.