Guesstimation comp of the arch height

You come across this arch in your truck trying to get to a drop; and there does not appear to be any warning signs this side of the arch (unless i’m blind :blush: :confused: ) how high would you guesstimate this arch to be and would you drive under it :confused: . (There is a sign for traffic coming the other way :exclamation: )

People who recognize this road are excluded from this competition for the time being as you’d have an unfair advantage :wink:

i think usually if a bridge or arch isnt signed posted or marked its usually higher than the standard which i think is 16’6 but if you come to the one in the picture i think you have a second to decide whether to go for it or knock down a 300 year old arch, i think you will find many of these around oxford and the likes also if there is previous damage from other trucks then i would most certanly stop and check it out, joe public wil have to wait

If you think that it will go under but be a ‘bit close’ then stop well before it and have word with driver behind - I may need to reverse if bridge is too low

Then pull up to bridge and GOAL

Bit bad of authority not to have it marked unless the centre bit which wil accomodate the width of a truck is over 5 metres

i would guess at about 14’9 so from the distance the photo taken i would go under it with caution …me being 13’9

At least 16’6" because by law, any man made object below 16’6" has to be signed. By not being signed if you hit it you have a defence that it doesn’t comply The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002. In fact, you could go as far as suing the council for damage to your truck.

zorg2006:
i would guess at about 14’9 so from the distance the photo taken i would go under it with caution …me being 13’9

Me too. I would probably go for 16’

Lonewolf will post an exact height shortly :laughing:

unless there is a sign and i miss it every day i driver up that road :blush: :blush: :open_mouth: the sign coming from the other direction is on a sign post just before the archway though :confused: .

i’ll book my self in at specsavers now before members who live near by log in :laughing: :laughing:

Going with the equilibrium of the sun in conjunction with the proximity of the bridge to the Y factor of the traffic light showing red at point X the arch appears to be around 15 foot minimum before the sides start to come in to the point of the arch. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if thats in lincoln they do put single deckers busses through that arch

philgor:

yes - one followed me.

i’d go for the 16’ 6" judging by the car that has gone through it.

Cruise Control:

philgor:

yes - one followed me.

my stepdad worked for stagecoach in lincoln he didn’t like driving around lincoln so he is now driving around grantham :unamused:

I’d say 4.8m or so, covering the 2.4m width gap in the middle. I’d drive under, I’m feeling lucky.

Cruise Control:
i’ll book my self in at specsavers now before members who live near by log in :laughing: :laughing:

i think you better mate :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

about 19ft?

PMSL thats my town! As for does it have a sign, ive got to be honest im not sure even though I pass that entrance to that road and have used that road for years! (never in a proper truck though) But it does have a 7.5 weight limit on it that im 99%sure of. The other arch on bailgate used to get hit regualerly back in the 60/70’s.

It just seems in the way to me, why don’t they just knock it down? They could build a nice branch of Tesco on that grassy bit at the same time.

Harry Monk:
It just seems in the way to me, why don’t they just knock it down? They could build a nice branch of Tesco on that grassy bit at the same time.

Make a tidy site for a truckstop too, close to the local amenities, pubs, brothels and tourist attractions :laughing:

I’d stop and go check it out if i really wasn’t sure!

but i roll at 13 9 so would go for it…

have we got a definate answer yet?

Wheel Nut:

Harry Monk:

Make a tidy site for a truckstop too, close to the local amenities, pubs, brothels and tourist attractions :laughing:

Its smack bang in the middle of the historic area of Lincoln, that arch is 50/60ft away from the Cathederal. Although there are some good pubs nearby! Not sure about brothels though but plenty of univercity totty about seeking evening entertainment!