grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr driver hire

really annoyed with them right now,

as some of you will know i recently did a 4 day shift for them for a local comapny taking goods down to slough and oxford, (not gonna name the company) but anyway just found out im only being paid £6 an hour (which is less than what i signed up for) and no overtime either, also on thursday i had to sit about formost of a day and night to do the next delivery yet im only being paid for the 3 hours i was driving. and that i wont be getting refunded for the parking

soooooooo annoyed right now!!!
i hate being discriminated against because im young!!!

I have the same problem with Driver Hire mate - which is a bugger as they are my main source of work!

ALWAYS ALWAYS confirm the rate of pay before you accept a job, Every time they ring up with any work I ask the rate, and if they try and make it lower than normal tell them your rate and they can take it or leave it.

They try and screw anyone under 25 over big time, but when they need you they need you :wink: use it to your advantage.

Alex

As Scarab said get the rate before the job

i’ve had lots of low paid work from them, which is stupid because they charge companies one of the highest rates of all the agencies around.

I used to work for them up until a few months ago, and found them to be a good agency but the rates were just too low and they wouldn’t budge.

i think it depends on the franchisee as to how they fair they play

Driver Hire are parasites and are not worth working for.

No offence but didnt you stay in contact with the agency
while you were away.

I would have phoned them and made sure i was getting paid for what i,m doing.

E.g. i drove from Manchester to Milton Keynes and when i got there
i was told my collection wasnt ready.

So i phoned agency to let them know ,
i,ve been told to park up for the night and wait for the collection.

and most importantly
how much extra will i be getting paid?

i ended up getting 2 x 8hrs @ £7.50 pay and £20 over night allowance
not bad for 8hrs driving.

Always keep in touch with the agency and
always ask how much.

I know other agencies pull that type of stuff, but wouldnt have thought DH would.

I know a lot of people dislike driver hire the rates generally lower, but on the other hand the ones ive worked for in Glasgow and Ayrshire they have always been proffesional and looked after the driver, plus steady work.

With Glasgow DH i worked with for nearly 2 years, when i started i signed a contract as a class 1 driver for class 1 rates, was told i would get a minimum of 8 hours pay per shift and also would get OT after those 8 hours.

They were always really clear and open about their wages, also didnt matter what type of shift i did would always do my class 1 money for it. Used to do quite a few transit van shifts.

I aint sure but DH is part of a franchais but maybe they are meant to work and pay a certain way, i’d maybe see if you can take it further. I’m friendly with an ex DH member of staff next time i’ll speak to her about it, because it something she would never consider doing messing people about like that.

gogzy:

as some of you will know i recently did a 4 day shift for them for a local comapny taking goods down to slough and oxford, (not gonna name the company) but anyway just found out im only being paid £6 an hour (which is less than what i signed up for) and no overtime either, also on thursday i had to sit about formost of a day and night to do the next delivery yet im only being paid for the 3 hours i was driving. and that i wont be getting refunded for the parking

You want to make loud noises about breach of contract and suing. When you signed up to Driver Hire, you were given a contract of employment. On that contract, the rates you are paid for each class of vehicle are written as well as the minimum amount of hours they pay. They HAVE to pay you those rates. They cannot deviate from them. To deviate from them is breach of contract.

ALL Driver Hire branches do this contract, regardless of the franchisee. Complain to Driver Hire direct if you get no joy from your local office. What they are doing is wrong and both against the law and against the terms of being a franchisee:

Driver Hire Group Services
Bradford Business Park
King’s Gate
Canal Road
Bradford
BD1 4SJ
Email: info@driver-hire.co.uk
Tel: 0844 846 0000

Scarab:
ALWAYS ALWAYS confirm the rate of pay before you accept a job, Every time they ring up with any work I ask the rate, and if they try and make it lower than normal tell them your rate and they can take it or leave it.

Why do you need to do this? You have it in writing in your hand on the contract you and they signed. You already know what the rate of pay is for the class of vehicle. You know what the overtime rate is and the night out rate, the Saturday rate and Sunday rate. It’s all there.

gogzy:

Did the company you were driving for tell you to wait so long ?

Have you noticed how most agencies seem to have a paragraph on the T&C’s saying something like the minimum rate we pay is £5.25 ■■? Why they insist of doing this I don’t know, good job I always put a 1 in front :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:
But drivers beware, they’ll tell you alsorts and nothing is guaranteed.
Report them to the DTi for one.

Right. I make no secrets of not having any kind of love affair with agency companies or staff.

But was this problem anything to do with these 3 shifts?

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ght=slough

If so, it was probably the reason why they are not paying you the hours you worked. If it was a different job forgive me.

Working with the likes of DH should be pretty straight forward money wise, your paid by the hour, as soon as you start your shift time, card goes in or gets marked start of shift o/w or poa until given a truck, then removed at the end of the shift so there is no problems.

Only time problems could arise would be with overnight money, thats the only time i have seen rates change, and when i did trunking for a company through driver hire, i double checked what was to happen. The place i was working would pay for parking at MSA, a case of pay for it and get reciept would be stoping at one of their depots/offices everyday and get the cash back, plus they also were willing to give me my night out money every day as well. This place even allowed you to use the M6Toll and get the money back.

Conor:
Why do you need to do this? You have it in writing in your hand on the contract you and they signed. You already know what the rate of pay is for the class of vehicle. You know what the overtime rate is and the night out rate, the Saturday rate and Sunday rate. It’s all there.

Well because sometimes they pay more, or there are additional extras etc… if I didn’t ask then I probably wouldn’t get!
Doesn’t hurt to clarify does it!

Alex

well basically i got a phone call last tuesday asking me to do the shift for said person and that i would be going to slough and nowhere else so i was like fair enough an overnighter,

as soon as i arrived he dropped the bomb onto me that i had an extra drop to do in oxford on friday afternoon which i wasnt too happy about but im not the type of guy who leaves folk in the {zb} and i dont really complain much and i just get on with the job. now i should be getting paid alot more because it wasnt my fault i had to sit about in a service station in oxford for the best part of 20 hours.

ive never ever had a problem with driver hire and i have a good relationship with them etc, companies always asking for me back because they know the job will get done etc etc, i even get the other franchises from the areas like edinburgh and falkirk after me

i also never ask for the rate because i know what ill get if i drive say a van or a 7.5 tonner. some days ive even been surprised because ive got paid more than i expect to get. granted im only getting £6.25 an hour or something its not really losing out on much but thats not the point im making, its the principle of the matter.also i was driving at night so that means more money wont it?

i even phoned up my branch today and they were just like phone the company and speak to the boss he deals with the hours he puts you through for
now to me i shouldnt be speaking to the boss of said company i did work for about my hours etc shouldnt i? the big boss of the franchise is on holiday right now which aint really good because we get on fine

spose ive learnt my lesson the hard way here, time to start haggling with them.
rubbish being 22 and trying to gain experience aint it.

Blunder Man:
Driver Hire are parasites and are not worth working for.

if only it was that easy, the amount of jobs ive been turned down for because i dont have enough experience is unreal, i have about a years tipper expeirience yet ive only ever driven a tipper about 3 times. though for 10 months i used to tip the bin lorry where i used to work, and it was a proper tipper not a bin lorry which just shoves everything out the back.

the agency is the only way i can get experience, plus at 22 age discrimination happens alot.

i even phoned up my branch today and they were just like phone the company and speak to the boss he deals with the hours he puts you through for
now to me i shouldnt be speaking to the boss of said company i did work for about my hours etc shouldnt i? the big boss of the franchise is on holiday right now which aint really good because we get on fine

A lot of agencies will gladly let it slip that they have to pay you for what you did hours wise. regardless of whether they are paid themselves for the same. Obviously a time sheet + tachos are important here.
Another common one you’ll hear from agencies after the fact “Oh they don’t pay it” whatever it might be, e.g. more than 10 hrs I had once., see above.

DAFMAD:

A lot of agencies will gladly let it slip that they have to pay you for what you did hours wise. regardless of whether they are paid themselves for the same. Obviously a time sheet + tachos are important here.
Another common one you’ll hear from agencies after the fact “Oh they don’t pay it” whatever it might be, e.g. more than 10 hrs I had once., see above.

see thing is for my tacho on the tursday it was only 3 hours…but for those 20 hours i wait i was still in possesion of his truck which means im still at work so i should be paid for the whole day minus my rest time which could be 9 hours but lets just say 11 hours so i should get 13 hours pay because i ahd to sit about to do the delivery, there wasnt anything i could do to get the drop done any quicker as the crane didnt arrive till 8am on friday morning.

small question here. why did you take the chart / card out after the 3 hours ? if you were in possession of his vehicle and you knew how long you had to wait for. could you not have popped it onto POA ? that way you would have a record of the hours you actually did.

i did but he only pays for hours driven that day. i left the chart in till the next day. but he hasnt seen my charts because i arrived home on saturday moring at about 2am and nobody was in, and being agency i dont have to show him.but he phoned up and asked for the hours i worked then asked what i drove on thursday