gritters

now we are due another batch of the cold stuff can anyone settle a cafe argument that got a bit heated
if a gritter is going down the motorway doing 45/50 ( or whatever the speed they spread at )in the center lane is it legal to overtake it on the inside or should you sit behind it .
i would like to add i think they deserve a BIG thank you thank you

205: When driving in icy or snowy weather

drive with care, even if the roads have been gritted
keep well back from the vehicle in front as stopping distances can be ten times greater than on dry roads
take care when overtaking gritting vehicles, particularly if you are riding a motorcycle
watch out for snowploughs which may throw out snow on either side. Do not overtake them unless the lane you intend to use has been cleared
be prepared for the road conditions changing over relatively short distances

as taken from the HIGHWAY CODE :smiley:

i riased the subject beforehere

Basically it’s like this;

In front of the gritter hasn’t been gritted so will probably be icy.

Behind the gritter ‘has’ been gritted and is more likely to be free of ice.

Isnt 40/50 fast enough in icy conditions anyway? :wink:

dennisw1:
Basically it’s like this;

In front of the gritter hasn’t been gritted so will probably be icy.

Behind the gritter ‘has’ been gritted and is more likely to be free of ice.

Isn’t 40/50 fast enough in icy conditions anyway? :wink:

But don’t forget Dennis, gritters are usualy out, on the motorways anyway, on a preventative spreading mission rather than a clearing mission. So the road is ice-free and gritted behind them, ice-free and grit-free in front of them (till you get to the next gritters area anyway).

If traffic is fairly quiet, I will overtake in lane three, if its busy I will undertake giving the gritter driver a warning that I intend to come through by flashing my headlights a couple of times. Often I am following another truck when traffic is that busy and several will be following me, so one flash of the lights would do, the gritter driver will already be aware of trucks undertaking.

Simon:
[I will undertake giving the gritter driver a warning that I intend to come through by flashing my headlights a couple of times. Often I am following another truck when traffic is that busy and several will be following me, so one flash of the lights would do, the gritter driver will already be aware of trucks undertaking.

All well and good but could flashing also be misconstrued as a signal for the gritter to move left ■■? There may be a works only entrance coming up or even some of the hard shoulder to do :open_mouth:

Not trying to be pedantic but I would personally just undertake, if I am behind other lorries no worries - if he can’t see them then he wouldn’t see a flash either :wink: :wink:

Firstly, there is no specific offence of “Overtaking on the inside”, “Undertaking”, or whatever you want to call it. It all falls into the category of Reckless/Dangerous/Careless driving and therefore any prosecution would need to show, at the very least, that another road user had been inconvienced.

Secondly, Gritters have been ‘hogging’ Lane 2 of 3 lane Motorways for nigh on 50 years, and it’s their normal operating mode. The drivers expect trucks to come through on the inside, and if I was driving one, I’d soon get pretty racked off with Main Beams in my mirror every few seconds.

Rule 242 of the highway code seems to adequately cover the situation.

Simon:
If traffic is fairly quiet, I will overtake in lane three, if its busy I will undertake giving the gritter driver a warning that I intend to come through by flashing my headlights a couple of times. Often I am following another truck when traffic is that busy and several will be following me, so one flash of the lights would do, the gritter driver will already be aware of trucks undertaking.

The highway code and the law doesn’t allow for us to use the lane of a 3 or more lane motorway in this case and it doesn’t specifically prohibit undertaking so, I like to gain slowly, a gently flash of the lights, which means ONLY “I’m here!” and then undertake, taking a foot or so of hard shoulder if it’s safe to do so. Once the undertake manoeuvre has started, use full power to get it over with as soon as possible.

I’m going to ask around today (HA and rozzers etc) and will report back.

I thought that you could undertake something if you are moving faster than the other lanes ,ie a traffic jam

keith:
i was parked at stafford services the other night and saw a council gritter that was being driven around the sainsbury’s car park by some idiot, it could of been joy riders though! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

its not uncommon for council workers to supplement their income by
doing the odd private job in council time :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:
which of course i never ever did :blush: :blush: :wink: