gritters

Saw the gritters out last night on the M40, dash read 5/6 C, bit bloody early i thought :confused: hope it doesnt snow too much, might not have enough to go around

My car was covered in quite thick frost when I finished at 03:15 this morning so I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s too early to be gritting the motorways.

The grit goes down early for the traffic to crush it and disperse it across the carriageway. This prevents the frost from forming as the temperature drops. :wink:

tachograph:
My car was covered in quite thick frost when I finished at 03:15 this morning so I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s too early to be gritting the motorways.

Would the first ā€œfrostā€ warrant gritting the motorways ? :unamused:

Hereā€™s a question for gritter men (or women).

If you grit a dry motorway, does high speed traffic blow it all to the edges, and make it a waste of time?

I wonder how long it will be until this years ā€œwhich side should you pass a gritter?ā€ round of questions start. :grimacing:

I agree its mental, what crazy people would decide to grit the roads when temps are predicted to drop below 0ā€™c, they should wait until at least 20 people have been killed due to slipping on black ice before they start gritting

Rob K:
I wonder how long it will be until this years ā€œwhich side should you pass a gritter?ā€ round of questions start. :grimacing:

and mmtm if you do overtake a gritter while its gritting and you skid and crash your insurance policy is invalid :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dont most gritter drivers sit in the cab of the council 3 way tipper reading the paper most days?
Bit of frost, o/t kicks in . . jobs a goodun :laughing:

Suedehead:

tachograph:

If thereā€™s a risk of ice on the roads Iā€™d say yes :unamused:

tachograph:

Suedehead:

tachograph:

It was a frost ,sorry " quite a thick frost" on a car ffs.
Lets all chain up an follow the snowplough.

Suedehead:

tachograph:

Suedehead:

tachograph:

:unamused: [zb]

The point I was trying to make was that if the vehicles were white with frost as they were where my car was, then surely there would be a serious likelihood of ice on the roads.

tachograph:

Suedehead:

tachograph:

Suedehead:

tachograph:

:unamused: [zb]

The point I was trying to make was that if the vehicles were white with frost as they were where my car was, then surely there would be a serious likelihood of ice on the roads.

None taken- do you do a risk asessment before you get out of bed in the morning ?

Dont think it is to early for gritters seeing as the black ice` warning came up on my truck dash yesterday.

Ive been scraping my windscreen since mid September and theres 1.1/2" of snow at Lairg.Apparently. :smiley:

I saw 2 snow ploughs near Perth yesterday,maybe they were just being repositioned.We can all brace ourselves I suppose.

I saw 2 snow ploughs near Perth yesterday,maybe they were just being repositioned.We can all brace ourselves I suppose.

the road was bone dry this morning yes there was a frost but after the monkeys had put grit on the dry road it draws the moisture from the air and makse the road wet and dosent dry so at the next hint of a frost they have to go out n grit again. to early imo

Personally I think we should [zb] the gritting and learn to drive to the conditions like the rest of the world, donā€™t see canadians or scandinavian people driving like dicks and crashing, they change their tyres for the season, carry chains, and drive appropriately for the conditions, if the british public was the same we wouldnā€™t have 90% of the chaos we do have when we get 1mm of snow.

Roll on the proper winters with snow measured in metres !

mickfly:
Hereā€™s a question for gritter men (or women).

If you grit a dry motorway, does high speed traffic blow it all to the edges, and make it a waste of time?

I hear they are adding molasses to it to make it stick these days.