Gritter drivers threatning strike action

Our local rag says today (spalding guardian), workers are unhappy about pay/condition/child poverty in africa - the usual stuff. and are by the looks of it prepared to potentially put lives at risk and carry out strike action leaving roads ungritted if they cant come to an “agreement” :exclamation:

no doubt being public sector they’ll get a tax payer funded £5000 a year pay rise and a gold plated inflation busting pension to keep them happy and keep roads gritted. :open_mouth: :confused: :confused:

so if your driving about in lincolnshire you might want to carry a bag of grit and a spade in your truck :exclamation:

Why do these people strike?

Surely, if you don’t like the job / pay / conditions, you move on?? Oh, that’s right, there’s nowhere better than where they’re working, but they want to moan anyway… ■■■■■!!

Personally, if I had strikers, I’d ■■■■ them off and recruit new people who WANT to work there, any grief off them like tribunals and ■■■■, and it’d be cheaper to send a couple of heavies around to have a chat.

I’ve heard the fire brigade are going on strike on bonfire night this year… :imp:

Typical, they have had all year to air their grievances, as soon as it becomes frosty they want to sit on their arse at home, which begs this question again,

how does a snow plough driver get to work?

Ferries go on strike when they are fully booked and there is as much overtime as the crew want, and the London fireman are striking on bonfire night. Pudding lane :exclamation:

Wheel Nut:

You have to live within a certain distance and then you can WALK to work (remember walking??)

Or you could use your 4x4 or quad or whatever, nobody really gives a ■■■■ as long as they go :slight_smile:

Wheel Nut:
Typical, they have had all year to air their grievances, as soon as it becomes frosty they want to sit on their arse at home, which begs this question again,

Ferries go on strike when they are fully booked and there is as much overtime as the crew want, and the London fireman are striking on bonfire night. Pudding lane :exclamation:

Council workers being lower paid than everyone else have to get to work or they go broke simples.The way I used to do it was by ‘handling my car better than everyone else’ :wink: so while they sit at home on their arse because they can’t get their cars out of the driveway with six inches of snow on the ground I was out there earning my weeks wages which was probably less than the money they lost by staying at home.But why is it that everyone moans when public sector workers go on strike but no one gives a zb if those workers are thrown on the dole which has the same effect of their services no longer being available. :unamused:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Council workers being lower paid than everyone else have to get to work or they go broke simples.The way I used to do it was by ‘handling my car better than everyone else’ :wink: so while they sit at home on their arse because they can’t get their cars out of the driveway with six inches of snow on the ground I was out there earning my weeks wages which was probably less than the money they lost by staying at home.But why is it that everyone moans when public sector workers go on strike but no one gives a zb if those workers are thrown on the dole which has the same effect of their services no longer being available. :unamused:

Far be it for me to argue with the worldly carryfast but the council workers around here are on a fortune .I had four friends leave a good transport company to go and work for the council they all still work there and have told me that you can stick lorry driving where the sun dont shine some have even been on the tele in grimefighters or something like that so dont think that they are all poorly paid .

I knew a guy who used to do 3-4 hours in the evening gritting and get paid about £65 and he had the option to do the same in the mornings about 4am onwards and get about £100-£120 and that was after tax. Some get paid similar and only sit in cab as a drivers mate as they have to have 2people in a gritter I was told, so I don’t know why they moan I think thats good money and a nice easy job so I heard :unamused:

Same old story don’t matter what some people earn there always going to want more, i.e football players a classic example :unamused:

I bet there are plenty of agency drivers to take their places.

We won’t need gritter drivers this winter.The met office’s new super computer has said we are in for a mild winter :exclamation: :wink: .

Dave the Renegade:
We won’t need gritter drivers this winter.The met office’s new super computer has said we are in for a mild winter :exclamation: :wink: .

I am going to order a few bags of salt then :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Dave the Renegade:

I am going to order a few bags of salt then :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m ordering a few bags of charcoal, for the barbeque winter!

P.S. If anyone knows of any gritter driving jobs in Bradford, I’ll take one , thanks.

what will happen is stobarts will invest in a load of gritters, and subby to the council. then all the lazy bar stewards will out of work while stobby uses shed loads of agency drivers!

Talk of Fire fighters striking on bonfire night, timing is everything :grimacing:

Stick a snow plough on the front of my Daf ■■■■ the gritters! Last year we had an army of gritters and i still got stuck about 20 times, digging myself out with my bare hands. Beg borrow and steal a bag of grit fae tesco backdoor man. Got a tow from a JCB down galashiels, and god help yeah if i was going up hill and your where going down cause i wasnt stopping for nothing :smiling_imp:

Who needs gritters i tell thee!!!

wood73:
what will happen is stobarts will invest in a load of gritters, and subby to the council. then all the lazy bar stewards will out of work while stobby uses shed loads of agency drivers!

Shed loads of ex council class 1 drivers who’ll drive the gritters and the artics which means that the rates for everyone will come down to what the council contractors were paying. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i drive one for a subbie nights and weekends ,good extra bit of cash ,on standby from 1st of november to 31st of march ,paid for standby and every run i do
done it for around 10 years now and last winter was a nice little earner :smiley:

the same drivers striking for more will soon be doing the same job through the agency for less, council workers have had it too good for too long (in our area anyway) with budgets being slashed up and down the country they are just asking for redundancy.
I agree if your not getting a good deal on pay take some action, but i worked for a subby to the council for a week on a tipper, they started 8ish (read 9) and finished 4, an hour for lunch and 2 x 30 min breaks and making a decent living, imagine if they had to work the sort of hours most of us do!
they probably stood round all year doing, well this is the council so not much, at our expense and then try to hold us to randsom for more of our hard earned!

wood73:
the same drivers striking for more will soon be doing the same job through the agency for less, council workers have had it too good for too long (in our area anyway) with budgets being slashed up and down the country they are just asking for redundancy.
I agree if your not getting a good deal on pay take some action, but i worked for a subby to the council for a week on a tipper, they started 8ish (read 9) and finished 4, an hour for lunch and 2 x 30 min breaks and making a decent living, imagine if they had to work the sort of hours most of us do!
they probably stood round all year doing, well this is the council so not much, at our expense and then try to hold us to randsom for more of our hard earned!

If they’re working for a subcontractor,which most do now,then they’re not directly employed council workers.If they were they’d know what low pay really means.I worked as direct labour on the council for 5 years during the early 1980’s but I could have earnt much more doing the same type of work in the private sector and with better trucks if I could have found another job but the waiting lists were always higher for those jobs than for the one I was doing.My hours were 7 to 5 30 minutes lunch 2 x 15 minutes breaks and £2 per hour.

Cruise Control:
no doubt being public sector they’ll get a tax payer funded £5000 a year pay rise and a gold plated inflation busting pension to keep them happy and keep roads gritted. :open_mouth: :confused: :confused:

Not sure why you’d think that as thousands of public sector workers have just lost or are about to lose their jobs, and many have reduced pay and conditions now. Anyway, May Gurney runs the contract for that gritting.

All the gritter drivers round here are agency or dust cart drivers doing a few extra (legal!) hours, or so I’ve heard.

I was offered it a couple of times last year on the agency, would love to give it a go, perhaps this year!

waynedl:
Why do these people strike?

Surely, if you don’t like the job / pay / conditions, you move on?? Oh, that’s right, there’s nowhere better than where they’re working, but they want to moan anyway… [zb]!!

Personally, if I had strikers, I’d [zb] them off and recruit new people who WANT to work there, any grief off them like tribunals and [zb], and it’d be cheaper to send a couple of heavies around to have a chat.

I’ve heard the fire brigade are going on strike on bonfire night this year… :imp:

Before you go to heavy handed on the fire brigade on their strikes, a friend of mine is a very senior in the service and having a chat with him, the problem is alot deeper than what the general public know about…to put it simply, the service is actually being ■■■■ upon, they’re not just whining for fun.