Gritter drivers on here?

Are there any gritter drivers on here?

Was watching BBC News 24 for a bit of light hearted comedy and there was a bit from a gritter driver talking about their drivers being abused and assaulted and things thrown at their vehicles and so on. What are your thoughts people?

To be honest I think the gritters should go on strike (not BA Cabin Crew) and actually give this country something to complain about. After I’ve done a bit of house work I’m going to get in my car, find some quiet roads and destroy my handbrake…same as earlier this year.

Adam_Mc:

Was watching BBC News 24 for a bit of light hearted comedy and there was a bit from a gritter driver talking about their drivers being abused and assaulted and things thrown at their vehicles and so on. What are your thoughts people?

To be honest I think the gritters should go on strike (not BA Cabin Crew) and actually give this country something to complain about. After I’ve done a bit of house work I’m going to get in my car, find some quiet roads and destroy my handbrake…same as earlier this year.

Of course they’re on here, they’re not out gritting :arrow_right: A505 is one lane (which is a MAJOR trunk route) looks like they;re gritted it once in the last 11 months :angry:

Maybe they’re all stuck in the traffic and unable to grit :stuck_out_tongue:

Councils have put this work out to tender,so its cheaper for the profit making co.s not to go out in their nice trucks.

I also saw the piece with the gritter driver. I think he made some very valid comments about having things thrown at them,I don’t think any of us would fancy having a lump of wood thrown at the windscreen. I have had kids throw snowballs hitting the screen which is a bit distracting,but wood and heavier objects are not on. These blokes are only trying to do their job.

Dave the Renegade:
I also saw the piece with the gritter driver. I think he made some very valid comments about having things thrown at them,I don’t think any of us would fancy having a lump of wood thrown at the windscreen. I have had kids throw snowballs hitting the screen which is a bit distracting,but wood and heavier objects are not on. These blokes are only trying to do their job.

My point exactly. These guys get lots of abuse, whether that be physical/verbal out on the street or lots of sarcy comments made by the general public…to be honest I think they should just down tools (or keys) and see what the public have to say about that.

Is there anywhere we can watch this feature on the gritter driver??

i have not ever had any physical threats to me ,but many hand gestures :laughing:
i have had the odd thing lobbed at the truck by drunks ,or the saxo crew
the worst thing is other road users the perform down right dangerous manovers to get out of the way , like suddenly trying to perform a 3 point turn right in front of you on a slippery road ,and then the others who have to get by you whatever the cost :unamused:
early this morning on a small two lane country road ,i came upon a car crawling along in the snow ,with hazards on doing about 10 mph
would he pull in and let the plough /gritter past ,no he just trundled along for the next mile

the worst trip i have had was on newyears eve/day around 2am in reading town centre .the amount of drunks trying to climb on was unreal
cheers graham

alamcculloch:
Councils have put this work out to tender,so its cheaper for the profit making co.s not to go out in their nice trucks.

Have you seen the price of fuel nowadays, no wonder no no one wants to drive about :sunglasses:

I would like to thank you to the gritter who came on to the M4 at Maidenhead last night and allowed me to follow him passing around 50 cars doing 20 in the inside lane to Reading. Good work bloke :smiley:

I would like to say thank you to the gritter who came on to the M4 at Maidenhead last night and allowed me to follow him passing around 50 cars doing 20 in the inside lane to Reading. Good work bloke :smiley:

I deliver Gritters to council yards , usually in the summer to be ready for winter, and the abuse I get is unbelievable, and not always off kids.I was told by a [zb] in a suit that it was people like me ,out with a snowplough in july ,that made him late for his appointment.
What he obviously didnt realise it was people like me who allowed him to keep, is appointments in the winter.

I deliver Gritters to council yards , usually in the summer to be ready for winter, and the abuse I get is unbelievable, and not always off kids.I was told by a [zb] in a suit that it was people like me ,out with a snowplough in july ,that made him late for his appointment.
What he obviously didnt realise it was people like me who allowed him to keep, is appointments in the winter. :smiley: :laughing:

Well i am honestly suprised that gritter drivers get abuse, it’s these guys that run around at all hours trying to keep Britain moving, and there’s so many roads to grit you can’t do them all, as said before if they went on strike we would be going nowhere.

Yes sometimes they cause inconvenience, specially on the motorway when they’re driving along at 50 in the middle lane, but it only takes a few seconds to pass and how else are they gonna grit such a large area as quickly as possible?

Adam_Mc:

I used to be a gritter driver, in a purely relief capacity, and yes I can honestly say that we used to get a bit of abuse from good old Joe Public, although, nothing physical :confused:

Grayham:
Yes sometimes they cause inconvenience, specially on the motorway when they’re driving along at 50 in the middle lane, but it only takes a few seconds to pass and how else are they gonna grit such a large area as quickly as possible?

That triggered an outstanding question in my mind (from a part time puddle jumper driver)…

If the gritter’s in the middle lane, and I’m not allowed to a) undertake or b) go in the outside lane, are either of these rules dropped or am I just supposed to follow it?

Just undertake it in the hard shoulder. Passing too close to it will be like sandblasting your paintwork!

landy12345:

Grayham:

That triggered an outstanding question in my mind (from a part time puddle jumper driver)…

If the gritter’s in the middle lane, and I’m not allowed to a) undertake or b) go in the outside lane, are either of these rules dropped or am I just supposed to follow it?

Pass on either side…

TC

I’m not surprised gritter drivers take a bit of stick, but probably no more than we do. I recall an instant many years ago when I was struggling up a long hill at 25mph at 0830 in the morning, when I reached the crest of the hill I pulled into a layby to let the traffic pass. Just about every other driver gave me a wave and a blast on the horn, either a one fingered gesture or a two fingered gesture :open_mouth: One guy pulled in with a Porsche, I blew him a kiss and he drove off :laughing:

Tiger

Fastrantiger:
I’m not surprised gritter drivers take a bit of stick, but probably no more than we do. I recall an instant many years ago when I was struggling up a long hill at 25mph at 0830 in the morning, when I reached the crest of the hill I pulled into a layby to let the traffic pass. Just about every other driver gave me a wave and a blast on the horn, either a one fingered gesture or a two fingered gesture :open_mouth: One guy pulled in with a Porsche, I blew him a kiss and he drove off :laughing:

Tiger

I refuse to pull into laybys to let traffic pass…the government has slowed us down enough, I’m not letting my average drop further by pulling in to let joe public past and not let me out again.