Greetings from Finland

Good evening people.

I am here to say hello to people who might be my future collegues and also to ask some hints and tips.

I recently relocated to UK from Finland as my girlfriend lives and works here. (Yes. Once again it was cause of a woman) This seemed like reasonable thing to do since i speak english but she doesnt speak finnish.

I have a degree in IT but being here for couple of months already have shown me that landing a job on that field over here seems to be a bit challenging if i put it mildly. I decided to start looking into trucking since i have ABECE class licence and also a ADR licence. I also have 3 years work experience from Finland driving one of these lkw-thorsten.eu/Galerie/Laen … 20%202.JPG

So i turn to you for some advice. What would be a best way for a newcomer into a country to start familiarising into the trucking work here?

I have also noticed a slight hostility against foreign drivers while reading certain forums. I understand the problem with drivers coming from eastern europe as we have the same problem in Finland. So i am assuming its about that? Would a poor finnish driver meet samekind of dislike? I can imagine it could lower ones work motivation slightly. What do you think?

I guess i have been blabbing long enough now. I’m looking forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum :sunglasses:
My girlfriends Finnish as well :wink:

Motre:
Good evening people.

I am here to say hello to people who might be my future collegues and also to ask some hints and tips.

I recently relocated to UK from Finland as my girlfriend lives and works here. (Yes. Once again it was cause of a woman) This seemed like reasonable thing to do since i speak english but she doesnt speak finnish.

I have a degree in IT but being here for couple of months already have shown me that landing a job on that field over here seems to be a bit challenging if i put it mildly. I decided to start looking into trucking since i have ABECE class licence and also a ADR licence. I also have 3 years work experience from Finland driving one of these lkw-thorsten.eu/Galerie/Laen … 20%202.JPG

So i turn to you for some advice. What would be a best way for a newcomer into a country to start familiarising into the trucking work here?

I have also noticed a slight hostility against foreign drivers while reading certain forums. I understand the problem with drivers coming from eastern europe as we have the same problem in Finland. So i am assuming its about that? Would a poor finnish driver meet samekind of dislike? I can imagine it could lower ones work motivation slightly. What do you think?

I guess i have been blabbing long enough now. I’m looking forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Thank you.

Bad move mate,even the foreign lads I know have had enough,most are on about going home or too another country

Just tattoo "I’m NOT a pole on you’re forehead and you should be ok.

+1
Welcome to the UK.
But I’d rather be in Finland but understand your reasons
Paul

Any pics of these Finnish birds??

Tervetuloa Englantin ja Trucknet :smiley:

Where about are in in the UK?

I would recommend getting on an agency at the moment as it is getting busy for Christmas. Then armed with your ‘recent working experience ■■■■■■■■ whatever they call it’ go knocking on doors. I doubt you’ll be met with the eastern European hostility because 1. You can speak English well, 2. You’re Scandinavian and 3. Finns have a reputation for being good drivers :smiley:

Good luck in your job hunt and remember, we’re the only two Democracies to ever go to war with each other :smiley:

10-08:

Finns have a reputation for being good drivers :smiley:

“GOOD”?!!

Rauno Aaltonen
Pentti Airikkala
Markku Alén
Toni Gardemeister
Marcus Grönholm
Ulf Grönholm
Kyösti Hämäläinen
Juho Hänninen
Seppo Harjanne
Mikko Hirvonen
Jakke Honkanen
Juha Kankkunen
Kosti Katajamäki
Jari Ketomaa
Leo Kinnunen
Jarmo Kytölehto
Simo Lampinen
Esapekka Lappi
Jari-Matti Latvala
Tapio Laukkanen
Jarmo Lehtinen
Sebastian Lindholm
Timo Mäkinen
Tommi Mäkinen
Risto Mannisenmäki
Hannu Mikkola
Jarkko Nikara
Jani Paasonen
Juuso Pykälistö
Kimi Räikkönen
Matti Rantanen
Harri Rovanperä
Juha Salo
Timo Salonen
Kristian Sohlberg
Mattias Therman
Harri Toivonen
Henri Toivonen
Pauli Toivonen
Janne Tuohino
Jussi Välimäki
Ari Vatanen
:laughing:

Welcome to the UK and this site!!
You won’t have a problem integrating here and its not as if you are an economic migrant.Scandinavians are well regarded and respected in the UK.
You may however struggle with our snowy weather but not because of your lack of experience but for the fact that we are useless and inept when it comes to snowy conditions.
Agencies are a good place to start and while you are doing that ask around your local companies.
If you tell us where you are located in the UK then I am sure many on here can give you advice or the names of some companies in your area.

Would not hurt to sew a small Finnish flag on your work clothes to avoid any confusion as to your nationality.

YARDDOG:
Would not hurt to sew a small Finnish flag on your work clothes to avoid any confusion as to your nationality.

Most people who treat others badly for nothing more than being from another country wouldn’t know the difference between a polish/czech/finnish flag etc.

Thank you for the warm welcome people.

I am currently living in High Wycombe so if anyone has good ideas of places to give a call i’d glady hear them. I saw an add of trg logistics looking for drivers to reading. Any ideas about that?

I dont have a car yet but my plan is to buy one as soon as i get work somewhere so i’m able to go to work littlebit further away aswell. Just dont want to buy it yet as i’d be in trouble with the insurance costs without a job.

Motre:
Thank you for the warm welcome people.

I am currently living in High Wycombe so if anyone has good ideas of places to give a call i’d glady hear them. I saw an add of trg logistics looking for drivers to reading. Any ideas about that?

I dont have a car yet but my plan is to buy one as soon as i get work somewhere so i’m able to go to work littlebit further away aswell. Just dont want to buy it yet as i’d be in trouble with the insurance costs without a job.

Bracknell is the town for IT work…not too far away.
High Wycombe is not really an industrial or agricultural economy so trucking is going to be a bit of a problem however I am willing to be corrected by those on here who live closer.

oova illter! (English phonetics there).

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I’m going to ask the opposite, if moving in the other direction what’s driving work like to get coming from the uk into Finland?

Sorry to hijack that thread but who better to ask hey.

Good luck on the job hunt

cargocargocargo:

10-08:

“GOOD”?!!

Rauno Aaltonen
Pentti Airikkala
Markku Alén
Toni Gardemeister
Marcus Grönholm
Ulf Grönholm
Kyösti Hämäläinen
Juho Hänninen
Seppo Harjanne
Mikko Hirvonen
Jakke Honkanen
Juha Kankkunen
Kosti Katajamäki
Jari Ketomaa
Leo Kinnunen
Jarmo Kytölehto
Simo Lampinen
Esapekka Lappi
Jari-Matti Latvala
Tapio Laukkanen
Jarmo Lehtinen
Sebastian Lindholm
Timo Mäkinen
Tommi Mäkinen
Risto Mannisenmäki
Hannu Mikkola
Jarkko Nikara
Jani Paasonen
Juuso Pykälistö
Kimi Räikkönen
Matti Rantanen
Harri Rovanperä
Juha Salo
Timo Salonen
Kristian Sohlberg
Mattias Therman
Harri Toivonen
Henri Toivonen
Pauli Toivonen
Janne Tuohino
Jussi Välimäki
Ari Vatanen

I don’t know where you got your list but there is a rather famous name missing from it.

Mika Häkkinen.

Welcome to the forum, welcome to England! If you can drive that wagon in the picture in the link, you’ll have no problems at all :sunglasses: enjoy your stay, it’s friendlier up NORTH! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

merc0447:

cargocargocargo:

10-08:

“GOOD”?!!

I don’t know where you got your list but there is a rather famous name missing from it.

oops, yes, ^^ and Heikki Kovaleinen! Sorry, just thinking rallying.

Surely one of the most famous Finnish drivers must be that guy Santa Claus from Rovaniemi.I stand outside every Xmas eve and Watch him going past.That guy is really moving.Mike