Greenhouse gases

Did anybody listen to The afternoon chatshow on Radio 2 at about midday, where an M.E.P recommended that all lorries be taken off the road, and use the railways instead, in an attempt to reduce the effects of global warming!!? I wondered if anyone had any views on her opinions. I for one nearly fell out of my truck especially when she suggested that the unemployment and retraining would be a high but fair price to pay :angry: :angry:

Yeah, Listened with interest. I heard the trucker on telephone reply that even with rail you will still need trucks to move it either end.
If we were not stuck in traffic jams for hours this might cut down, should we get priority lanes as we are helping run the country not just picking kids up from school or going shopping.
How about truck lanes :question: :question: :question:
:laughing: :laughing:

Sorry im not old enough to listen to radio 2 :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
But seriously i switch these programmes of as soon as they come on because its just the usual [zb] mps trying to make there job seem worthwhile and just, when they haveā€™nt got a clue how the world works i mean [zb] can you name one single item in your house that has NOT been on a truck

simon

Too obvious. L. :wink:

Unfortunately she is the MEP for the South ā€œgreen partyā€ I tried to call up but never got through. I wonder what she would do if all the lorries took a day off so that the rail companies could ship it to the cities. would she arrange a fleet of pedal bikes to deliver all the goodsā– ā– ?

What next??

SimonRS2K:
But seriously i switch these programmes of as soon as they come on because its just the usual bull[zb]ing mps trying to make there job seem worthwhile and just, when they haveā€™nt got a clue how the world works i mean ffs can you name one single item in your house that has NOT been on a truck
simon

Heheā€¦ my sonā€™s umbilical cord did not come on a lorry thank you very much! :laughing: (sat all afternoon at what was in the house that didnā€™t come on a lorry and thatā€™s the best one, although in saying that you could say he is a bi-product of something that has been carried of a truck, i mean i ate and all that to produce him i guessā€¦ hhhhhmmmmmmmm how the mind works!

PMSL

day off! sorry

:arrow_right: iā€™ll leave pmsl

EEEEEEEEEEEwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww to much information tiggs :wink: :blush: :blush:

simon

but i guess youre right

She sounded to me like sheā€™d been deported from the planet green for being too green.
Bit like my first wife being deported from the planet obsessive.

I would like to see this MEP come out in a truck and see what it is like up at the sharp end, she is just the same as our MOD whitehall warriors.

Just one point, how many times a year does the euro parliament move from brussels to strasbourg, and how do they move it, couldnā€™t possibly be by truck could it? :question:

I suppose these idiots havenā€™t considered the fact that you would need a rail terminal beside every Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons etc in the land.

Donā€™t know about it being the Green Party. The stuff coming out of their mouths is brown and smelly.

I listen to Radio 2 a lot of the time. Now I remember why I donā€™t listen to that lunchtime show.

Another way of proving to her that trucks are needed is to have someone spend the day with her and everytime she tries to do something that has had anything to do with a truck stop her from doing it sheā€™d soon get [zb]ed off with that

simon

SimonRS2K:
Another way of proving to her that trucks are needed is to have someone spend the day with her and everytime she tries to do something that has had anything to do with a truck stop her from doing it sheā€™d soon get [zb]ed off with that

simon

Like stop her eating :smiley: (Bet she forgets how that organic crap she is eating got to the supermarket)

Dratsabasti:
Just one point, how many times a year does the euro parliament move from brussels to strasbourg, and how do they move it, couldnā€™t possibly be by truck could it? :question:

I think the paliament is in one city, and the burocracts in another. Iā€™m not sure.

killsville:
I suppose these idiots havenā€™t considered the fact that you would need a rail terminal beside every Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons etc in the land.

And all the manufacturers of all the products would need a rail link to get it to the depots/stores. :open_mouth:

Unless we make all suppliers relocate near rail terminals (eeerm more building required) :open_mouth: or build more rail terminal (more building required) ā€œaah we seem to be running out of green bits mr Blair?ā€

She also said that she conceeded that ā€œsome small journeys would be requiredā€ so that means you will have 50 Trucks doing 10 mile each rather than 2 doing 250 each then? :open_mouth:

What utter tosh.

SimonRS2K:

simon

So, Simon, what you propose is; put her in the middle of a rough grazing field, strip her naked and leave her there all day :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ? Actually, on reflection, not a bad idea at all :smiley: :smiley: . Who volunteers for the job of watching her, to make sure she dosnā€™t cheat and to tell her, ā€œNo you canā€™t have/do that, it was transported by truckā€ :laughing: .

Never mind the contents of the house being transported by truck, the bricks, mortar, doors, windows and floors were transported by truck as well. All the clothes on her back, the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  and tarmac of the road past the field, the seeds of a crop field (even a field of grass), were also transported by truck.

As you can see, Iā€™ve considered this arguement before. The only place I can think of which is ā€˜uncontaminatedā€™, by being transported by truck, is an old, rough grazing field. The type of field I have in mind is more than likely going to be found on a hill farm where sheep are grazed.

Really consider the problem, and if you can think of anything else which hasnā€™t spent at least some time being transported by truck, let us know. I think that youā€™ll find it extremly difficult

Really consider the problem, and if you can think of anything else which hasnā€™t spent at least some time being transported by truck, let us know. I think that youā€™ll find it extremly difficult

Agreed!! which it is why itā€™s such a shame that us truckers cannot agree amongst ourselves, This country needs us! why are so many of us short changed?

Iā€™m sure I read somewhere that, given current freight volumes, a 90% increase in rail freight would lead to a 10% reduction in road freight. So to reduce road freight by 100%, as per her idea, that would mean an awful lot of extra trains on railways that at the moment canā€™t even run properly. Only last week there was a news report saying they were thinking of cutting the Gatwick Express because there are too many trains for the rail network in the south east.

So would that mean that to make room for all the extra freight trains they would need to cut passenger trains which would mean more cars and buses on the road and that would mean more pollution. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Why donā€™t they just ban greenhouses ?

Problem solved. :laughing:

Thankfully Iā€™m not the only person to hear it then!! She was definitely from planet carlsberg :laughing:. Heres one though what would happen if every lorry from 7.5t and upwards had the week off at the same time leaving it to the white van man as she proposed :question: :smiling_imp:

Simon:
As you can see, Iā€™ve considered this arguement before. The only place I can think of which is ā€˜uncontaminatedā€™, by being transported by truck, is an old, rough grazing field. The type of field I have in mind is more than likely going to be found on a hill farm where sheep are grazed.

[

and how do you think the sheep got there :question: :question: :question: :wink:

twopack:
Thankfully Iā€™m not the only person to hear it then!! She was definitely from planet carlsberg :laughing:. Heres one though what would happen if every lorry from 7.5t and upwards had the week off at the same time leaving it to the white van man as she proposed :question: :smiling_imp:

There aint enough white vans out there to do the work. Even if there was enough vans, how long would it take? The country would grind to a halt in a matter of hours.

Willy Gofar:
Why donā€™t they just ban greenhouses ?

Problem solved. :laughing:

Why donā€™t they just ban these idiots from speaking in public :question: They obviously donā€™t have a clue what they are talking about.