Great Wall / Fiat Chrysler

Carryfast:
Leaking hopeless Brit bikes.In which case how do you explain these prices and don’t even think about playing the bs rarity card as rare supposed crap is still supposed crap ?.

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C896361

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C900956

As for Brit v Jap cars.As I said Rover and Triumph went there and got the T shirt and it rightly cost them the farm. :unamused: With a random check of prices predictably suggesting that ‘classic’ Jap crap is no different to new Jap crap and is valued by its owners/sellers accordingly.While yes we all know the Stag engine was a bit of a dog.As expected of a pointless,OHC,excessively small capacity V8 which was designed on a shoe string budget.Unlike the pushrod Rover which should have been put in it.Let me guess you’d rather pay more for the Rover 800 or Triumph Acclaim than a proper Brit Triumph as part of the same old tiresome stereotypical Brit bashing dogma. :unamused:

classiccarsforsale.co.uk/rover/800/235016

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C898455

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C848390

Expensive crap is still crap!

I never said that Triumph, BSA, and Norton where ugly or bad bikes, but their technology was extremely outdated when the Honda CB 750 was introduced in the UK.
It didn’t leak it didn’t break, it didn’t vibrate the fillings out of your teeth.
And it kept running, with overhead camshafts, reliable electrics and Mikuni carburettors that didn’t need to be adjusted every day.

Yes the Japanese are terrible copiers, but make it so much better

I did have in the 80 a Suzuki GS 550, crankshaft had roller bearings, the electrical where Nippon, the distribution chain lasted the whole 120k when I used it as a commuter.

By the way prices don’t mean anything to me, try to buy a Kawasaki Z1 900 with single disc in the front. You will be shocked.

Franglais:

muckles:
A Chinese company Geely holdings bought Volvo cars from Ford, and now also have a majority share of Lotus as part of a deal to invest in Proton cars.

Wiki still says Dongfeng are 100% Chinese Gov owned, but there’s several articles saying Volvo have a 45% share in them, so seems right.

You’re getting your Volvo’s confused gents. AB Volvo is the original company dealing in lorries, construction, and marine engines. It has bought a 45% stake in Dongfeng. AB Volvo owns Renault and Mack trucks as well.

AB Volvo sold Volvo Cars to Ford in 1999 who sold it on to Geely Holdings in 2010.

Geely bought 49.9% of Proton from the Malaysian government this year with the proviso that they also got 51% of Lotus. Geely are not necessarily interested in Lotus Cars but the Lotus Engineering arm whose knowledge they intend to apply to all their other marques, especially the Volvo car range.

caledoniandream:

switchlogic:
By that same standard then you as a Dutchman must be sad that DAF is American…

I am as I am close to the DAF factory, several of my relatives are involved with Paccar and DAF.
I don’t think the Americans have brought anything good to DAF.

We disagree on this topic then. DAF is no more American than Land Rover is Indian. Foreign owner doesn’t change a companies nationality.

I think the Americans have brought a lot to DAF, stability for one that’s has allowed them to become one of the best selling brands in Europe

Stanley Knife:

Franglais:

muckles:
A Chinese company Geely holdings bought Volvo cars from Ford, and now also have a majority share of Lotus as part of a deal to invest in Proton cars.

Wiki still says Dongfeng are 100% Chinese Gov owned, but there’s several articles saying Volvo have a 45% share in them, so seems right.

You’re getting your Volvo’s confused gents. AB Volvo is the original company dealing in lorries, construction, and marine engines. It has bought a 45% stake in Dongfeng. AB Volvo owns Renault and Mack trucks as well.

AB Volvo sold Volvo Cars to Ford in 1999 who sold it on to Geely Holdings in 2010.

Geely bought 49.9% of Proton from the Malaysian government this year with the proviso that they also got 51% of Lotus. Geely are not necessarily interested in Lotus Cars but the Lotus Engineering arm whose knowledge they intend to apply to all their other marques, especially the Volvo car range.

I think that’s basically what I said. :confused:

Lotus has been making a loss for many years, but it is now making a profit. Hopefully Geelys stake in it will be a good thing, doesn’t seemed to have harmed Volvo cars, but the engineering arm has always been the jewel in the crown of Lotus well at least since the glory days of the F1 team finished.
The only thing is living near the factory I have a bit of soft spot for Lotus, there seems to have been many false dawns over the years followed by worries about the future of the company, the last one was the appointment of Dany Bahar from Ferrari, came in with a huge fanfare and an announcement of loads of new models and was fired not long after and the company was in even more debt.

caledoniandream:

Carryfast:
Leaking hopeless Brit bikes.In which case how do you explain these prices and don’t even think about playing the bs rarity card as rare supposed crap is still supposed crap ?.

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C896361

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C900956

As for Brit v Jap cars.As I said Rover and Triumph went there and got the T shirt and it rightly cost them the farm. :unamused: With a random check of prices predictably suggesting that ‘classic’ Jap crap is no different to new Jap crap and is valued by its owners/sellers accordingly.While yes we all know the Stag engine was a bit of a dog.As expected of a pointless,OHC,excessively small capacity V8 which was designed on a shoe string budget.Unlike the pushrod Rover which should have been put in it.Let me guess you’d rather pay more for the Rover 800 or Triumph Acclaim than a proper Brit Triumph as part of the same old tiresome stereotypical Brit bashing dogma. :unamused:

classiccarsforsale.co.uk/rover/800/235016

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C898455

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C848390

Expensive crap is still crap!

I never said that Triumph, BSA, and Norton where ugly or bad bikes, but their technology was extremely outdated when the Honda CB 750 was introduced in the UK.
It didn’t leak it didn’t break, it didn’t vibrate the fillings out of your teeth.
And it kept running, with overhead camshafts, reliable electrics and Mikita carburettors that didn’t need to be adjusted every day.

Yes the Japanese are terrible copiers, but make it so much better

I did have in the 80 a Suzuki GS 550, crankshaft had roller bearings, the electrical where Nippon, the distribution chain lasted the whole 120k when I used it as a commuter.

By the way prices don’t mean anything to me, try to buy a Kawasaki Z1 900 with single disc in the front. You will be shocked.

Firstly the fixation on OHC says a lot.You do know that a pushrod NASCAR motor can rev to almost 10,000 rpm and put out around 150 bhp per litre all that from an NA engine.While obviously making a head off job a ‘lot’ easier and quicker.Which is probably one of the reasons why the residual values of a Vauxhall VXR8 are better than those of the average V8 Merc or BMW or Lexus.

As for expensive crap.More like owners who know the value of what they’ve got.That value obviously being peanuts in the case of the Rover 800 as opposed to Triumph 2.5 for example.IE cold cash proving which was better with old school British Leyland,in the form of the Triumph 2.5 for one example,v Jap crap in the form of the 800 and Acclaim, predictably going against all the politicised Brit bashing propaganda,then or now. :unamused:

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious,are leaders in carbon fibre engineering,they produced the super lightweight bikes that Boardman rode on the track.

Carryfast:
Firstly the fixation on OHC says a lot.You do know that a pushrod NASCAR motor can rev to almost 10,000 rpm and put out around 150 bhp per litre all that from an NA engine.While obviously making a head off job a ‘lot’ easier and quicker.Which is probably one of the reasons why the residual values of a Vauxhall VXR8 are better than those of the average V8 Merc or BMW or Lexus.

As for expensive crap.More like owners who know the value of what they’ve got.That value obviously being peanuts in the case of the Rover 800 as opposed to Triumph 2.5 for example.IE cold cash proving which was better with old school British Leyland,in the form of the Triumph 2.5 for one example,v Jap crap in the form of the 800 and Acclaim, predictably going against all the politicised Brit bashing propaganda,then or now. :unamused:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Your clearly not a mechanic!!!
I can change a head with overhead camshaft in less than half an hour, as I don’t have to fiddle with the valve mechanism.

I did my apprentice ship for British Leyland end seventies, and was a warranty mechanic in the time the Rover SD1, Allegro etc where still in full production.
Please don’t try to tell me anything about quality.
I moved than to Louman and Parqui the than Toyota importer, and learnt a lot in difference how the Japanese works.
The only thing I will agree with you is that Asian cars are dull, they don’t have a feel, but are very well made (have look at the Lexus, and look at the quality and manufactures backup)

Regarding power of a OHC you claim the power in a NASCAR pushrods V8 to be more than 150bhp per litre…this is a race engine.
BUT a Volvo XC90 (an old mans car) has already 158bhp per litre at half the revs!!!

Most Japanese Motorbikes reach far above that with the Ninja H2 197 per litre, you can buy them in a shop, don’t have to go to some dedicated tuner.
And tell you something else, they last!!

And again I am not a fan of Japanese Motorbikes, except from the Goldwing, and still throttle along on my BMW 1200 rt no big power, but reliable and stable. (And not leaking oil :sunglasses: )

caledoniandream:

Carryfast:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Your clearly not a mechanic!!!
I can change a head with overhead camshaft in less than half an hour, as I don’t have to fiddle with the valve mechanism.

I did my apprentice ship for British Leyland end seventies, and was a warranty mechanic in the time the Rover SD1, Allegro etc where still in full production.
Please don’t try to tell me anything about quality.
I moved than to Louman and Parqui the than Toyota importer, and learnt a lot in difference how the Japanese works.
The only thing I will agree with you is that Asian cars are dull, they don’t have a feel, but are very well made (have look at the Lexus, and look at the quality and manufactures backup)

Regarding power of a OHC you claim the power in a NASCAR pushrods V8 to be more than 150bhp per litre…this is a race engine.
BUT a Volvo XC90 (an old mans car) has already 158bhp per litre at half the revs!!!

Most Japanese Motorbikes reach far above that with the Ninja H2 197 per litre, you can buy them in a shop, don’t have to go to some dedicated tuner.
And tell you something else, they last!!

And again I am not a fan of Japanese Motorbikes, except from the Goldwing, and still throttle along on my BMW 1200 rt no big power, but reliable and stable. (And not leaking oil :sunglasses: )

Let’s get this right I supposedly know nothing.While you can do a head off job on an OHC motor without supposedly ‘fiddling’ with the ‘valve mechansim’.Blimey and to think I’ve always been ■■■■■■ off with the Jag engine because a head off job means removing the bleedin cam shafts and tappet/cam follwer block and camshaft bearing frame first .Then having to put it all back again and re setting the camshaft timimg and then having to remove the camshafts again and put them back again numerous times to adjust the valve clearances.Let alone a timing chain replacement job also meaning all that and removing the heads before I can remove the timing cover.As opposed to just unbolting the rocker shaft/s and rockers from the head in one assembly and removing the push rods and the reverse on re assembly with valve clearance adjustment being an equally simple job.Feel free to tell me where I’ve been going wrong. :open_mouth: :laughing:

As for the Volvo XC 90 you seem to have missed the points that,unlike the Volvo motor the NASCAR engine is naturally aspirated not forced induction.While yes it’s a race engine which can rev to almost 10,000 rpm.So the the point of OHC,other than,as I said,being a total liability in the case of a head removal and often timing gear removal job,is what exactly ?.Oh wait you know how to do a head removal job on an OHC motor without having to ‘fiddle’ with the valve train in the form of having to remove the camshafts and all the aggro that goes with it as I said.Which would be a bleedin miracle if only it was true. :open_mouth:

caledoniandream:
BMW 1200 rt no big power, but reliable and stable. (And not leaking oil :sunglasses: )

But my triumph 1050 makes more power…and is smoother. (no leaking oil) :wink:

alamcculloch:
Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious,are leaders in carbon fibre engineering,they produced the super lightweight bikes that Boardman rode on the track.

Didn’t realise they were big into the carbon fibre technology, but might explain why a international car component manufacture has set up a carbon fibre technology centre in Wymondham.
I’ve always associated Lotus engineering with suspension and handling, I do like the purity of the some of the cars, no frills, no gimmicks, unless you get the one that goes underwater :laughing: ) no need for a bloody big engine, just make it light and make it handle.

muckles:

alamcculloch:

Didn’t realise they were big into the carbon fibre technology, but might explain why a international car component manufacture has set up a carbon fibre technology centre in Wymondham.
I’ve always associated Lotus engineering with suspension and handling, I do like the purity of the some of the cars, no frills, no gimmicks, unless you get the one that goes underwater :laughing: ) no need for a bloody big engine, just make it light and make it handle.

Purity of design… I still get a little buzz when i see the opening titles of “The Prisoner”!