Great Wall / Fiat Chrysler

my 1973 Toyota corolla SL had reclining seats, tinted windows, built in radio, twin head lights, 3 speed heater , rev counter , wood dash , 2 speed wipers, , only had Toyotas from then until last October when I bought a Ssangyong , but I still have my Toyota IQ though , keeping that till I retire

tony

raymundo:
I know of someone who has one of those Great Wall pickups and the only thing that hasn’t gone wrong on it is the ashtray !!! heap o crap …

I’ve never had anything to do with one, but I’ve spoken to poor buggers that have. I think their reputation has even surpassed the good old Lada.

My old man had a Lada,not a bad car if you just wanted to go a few miles to work in it.He kept it for seven years his motoring cost about one pound per day in depreciation.I cant see the point of a car that costs tens of thousands of pounds.

Never mnd the pickups if you want to hear a real tale of misery talk to a Great Wall dealer, talk about left holding the baby. Although worth bearing in mnd that the Great Wall pckups sold in Europe are actually assembled in Bulgaria.

tonyj105:
my 1973 Toyota corolla SL had reclining seats, tinted windows, built in radio, twin head lights, 3 speed heater , rev counter , wood dash , 2 speed wipers, , only had Toyotas from then until last October when I bought a Ssangyong , but I still have my Toyota IQ though , keeping that till I retire

tony

Jap crap that worked out well for Rover and Triumph.

Meanwhile my 7 year old,500 quid,1970 Triumph 2.5 had all that and a 6 cylinder motor and an over drive box and if that had been followed by a V8 version,instead of the retrograde SD1,let alone Honda based heaps after that,I’m sure that plenty of people would have kept on buying them instead of going for a BMW.

While yes we know Oriental producers and workers can do cheap and nasty and race to the bottom and putting our own workers out of a job the best,‘if’ that’s really what everyone wants. :unamused:

Carryfast:

tonyj105:

tony

Meanwhile my 7 year old,500 quid,1970 Triumph 2.5 had all that and a 6 cylinder motor and an over drive box and if that had been followed by a V8 version,instead of the retrograde SD1,let alone Honda based heaps after that,I’m sure that plenty of people would have kept on buying them instead of going for a BMW.

While yes we know Oriental producers and workers can do cheap and nasty and race to the bottom and putting our own workers out of a job the best,‘if’ that’s really what everyone wants. :roll:

we had this worry at JLR when they opened up a manufacturing plant in China and then an engine plant there until the lads who oversee/train them came back telling us all the things the get up to with shortcuts, engines making no power due to crap workmanship etc.

I think any company that moves production to China is on its last legs anyway, culture is completely different there and the Products are not up to Western Standards.

Carryfast:

tonyj105:

tony

While yes we know Oriental producers and workers can do cheap and nasty and race to the bottom
and putting our own workers out of a job the best,‘if’ that’s really what everyone wants. :unamused:

Thats what everybody said ‘jap crap’ , well my jap crap cars never had me constantly looking for parts and leaving me sat on the side of the road, remember the run of the mill 1973 british cars, not the the upmarket triumphs etc,total rubbish.my corolla was a 1200, not a 2 plus litre exec job, just a good 2 door coupe, followed by a 74 1600 celica , and later the pocket rocket corolla gt, embarrased a lot of your larger sporty jobs that one.
And for build quality i bought a 1 year old 2002 toyota rav4 petrol and in 138000 miles it had 4 sensors and an exhaust, never had to top up the oil in 10 yearss.
My iq3 105mph 112000 miles total reliability, 92 miles a day for the last 7 years.
And triumphs, upside down next to my erf was a stag, after the back wheel fell off

tonyj105:
Thats what everybody said ‘jap crap’ , well my jap crap cars never had me constantly looking for parts and leaving me sat on the side of the road, remember the run of the mill 1973 british cars, not the the upmarket triumphs etc,total rubbish.my corolla was a 1200, not a 2 plus litre exec job, just a good 2 door coupe, followed by a 74 1600 celica , and later the pocket rocket corolla gt, embarrased a lot of your larger sporty jobs that one.
And for build quality i bought a 1 year old 2002 toyota rav4 petrol and in 138000 miles it had 4 sensors and an exhaust, never had to top up the oil in 10 yearss.
My iq3 105mph 112000 miles total reliability, 92 miles a day for the last 7 years.
And triumphs, upside down next to my erf was a stag, after the back wheel fell off

I didn’t see it as buying an ‘executive’ motor just the choice of buy better but older,although no car design is perfect.Which leaves the question of the design life of the average Jap motor in the day.With as I remember it engine components made of cheese and body panels made of foil.On that note the choice was buy a newer Jap motor with the lose lose that it was worth peanuts compared to its Brit counterpart at 5 years +.If not it was in the scrap yard and even then worth less because it contained less decent metal in it and/or just about every main component and panel worn out or rusted beyond use for re sale by the unfortunate breaker.

While even today a new or used mid range BMW or Merc is more likely to be at the top of the shopping list of the average car buyer,than the Oriental options.Just as buyers more often went for Rovers and Triumphs in addition to the old school Fords and Vauxhalls,also some doing whatever it took to keep the older rwd type BMC designs on the road,than buy Jap cars.With the rest being history in that Rover and Triumph decided to make what were effectively licence made Hondas which either few wanted and bought.While those who did offloaded the things as soon as possible for whatever they could get,with plummeting residual values as soon as they left the showroom.To the point of being an even worse debacle for the UK car manufacturing industry than BMC’s move downmarket from its previous rwd range to the later types. :unamused:

Which leaves the question of how long can we sustain an economy that’s based on the import of manufactured goods whether Oriental or German.All paid for with paper currency earn’t and based on mostly domestic service industries ?.Our national debt figure increasing by the second,being a good guide.That applies whether it’s the loss of US industry to imports or Brit. :bulb:

Just spend a day in the British Motorbike museum in Birmingham.
All the British bikes have a drip tray under them, the Japanese are bone dry.

And Carryfast the British motors are that good that they are World leaders, …not.
They don’t even excist anymore, there are some German makes, Bentley, Mini, and Rolls Royce and some Indian ones like Landrover and Jaguar.

The engines of the Japanese could run for 100.000th of miles without rebuild, when we where still rebuilding British engines at 60.000 or less.

And don’t even mention the Triumph V8 in the Stag, while the car had a beautiful design, the engine was scrap and they didn’t manage to improve it during the production run.
Overheating and oil leaking was the least of the problems.

Never underestimate your competition, that was the big mistake the British car and motorbike industry made when the Japanese moved in and moved on to be the biggest car manufacturer in the World (Toyota)

And yes the Chinese quality is crap at the moment, but never underestimate!
Just remember the Koreans, the first Hyundai Pony was a laughable excuse for a car, but look at their range now, and they build top quality.

caledoniandream:
and they build top quality.

Their recalls list would suggest not

caledoniandream:
Just spend a day in the British Motorbike museum in Birmingham.
All the British bikes have a drip tray under them, the Japanese are bone dry.

And Carryfast the British motors are that good that they are World leaders, …not.
They don’t even excist anymore, there are some German makes, Bentley, Mini, and Rolls Royce and some Indian ones like Landrover and Jaguar.

The engines of the Japanese could run for 100.000th of miles without rebuild, when we where still rebuilding British engines at 60.000 or less.

And don’t even mention the Triumph V8 in the Stag, while the car had a beautiful design, the engine was scrap and they didn’t manage to improve it during the production run.
Overheating and oil leaking was the least of the problems.

Never underestimate your competition, that was the big mistake the British car and motorbike industry made when the Japanese moved in and moved on to be the biggest car manufacturer in the World (Toyota)

And yes the Chinese quality is crap at the moment, but never underestimate!
Just remember the Koreans, the first Hyundai Pony was a laughable excuse for a car, but look at their range now, and they build top quality.

Leaking hopeless Brit bikes.In which case how do you explain these prices and don’t even think about playing the bs rarity card as rare supposed crap is still supposed crap ?.

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C896361

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C900956

As for Brit v Jap cars.As I said Rover and Triumph went there and got the T shirt and it rightly cost them the farm. :unamused: With a random check of prices predictably suggesting that ‘classic’ Jap crap is no different to new Jap crap and is valued by its owners/sellers accordingly.While yes we all know the Stag engine was a bit of a dog.As expected of a pointless,OHC,excessively small capacity V8 which was designed on a shoe string budget.Unlike the pushrod Rover which should have been put in it.Let me guess you’d rather pay more for the Rover 800 or Triumph Acclaim than a proper Brit Triumph as part of the same old tiresome stereotypical Brit bashing dogma. :unamused:

classiccarsforsale.co.uk/rover/800/235016

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C898455

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C848390

commonrail:

caledoniandream:

Top 5 CAR SAFETY RECALLS 2011-2015

1. Toyota: 1,270,615
  2. Honda: 994,578
  3. Vauxhall:632,217
  4. BMW: 545,303
  5. Nissan: 452,186

Not in the top 5
Recalls don’t always mean “bad” quality, but rather recognise and admit issues.
Vauxhall had to be nudged by the DVSA to do a recall on the Zafira for example, as they where still denying it.
Audi with their engines problems have still not issued a recall in the Uk (but did in the USA)

Franglais:
Dongfeng (100% Chinese Gov owned) own 45% of Volvo AB.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Are you sure you have that the right way round?

A Chinese company Geely holdings bought Volvo cars from Ford, and now also have a majority share of Lotus as part of a deal to invest in Proton cars.

To be honest these vehicle manufacturing groups get so large and entwined it’s sometimes difficult to work out who owns what.

caledoniandream:

commonrail:

caledoniandream:

Top 5 CAR SAFETY RECALLS 2011-2015

1. Toyota: 1,270,615
  2. Honda: 994,578
  3. Vauxhall:632,217
  4. BMW: 545,303
  5. Nissan: 452,186

Not in the top 5
Recalls don’t always mean “bad” quality, but rather recognise and admit issues.
Vauxhall had to be nudged by the DVSA to do a recall on the Zafira for example, as they where still denying it.
Audi with their engines problems have still not issued a recall in the Uk (but did in the USA)

muckles:

Franglais:
Dongfeng (100% Chinese Gov owned) own 45% of Volvo AB.

Are you sure you have that the right way round?
Volvo Trucks buys half of Dongfeng Commercial Vehicles - Autoblog

A Chinese company Geely holdings bought Volvo cars from Ford, and now also have a majority share of Lotus as part of a deal to invest in Proton cars.

To be honest these vehicle manufacturing groups get so large and entwined it’s sometimes difficult to work out who owns what.

I stand corrected. Thanks.
Wiki still says Dongfeng are 100% Chinese Gov owned, but there’s several articles saying Volvo have a 45% share in them, so seems right.

Re recalls. The devil is in the detail.
It’s important to see whether the recalls were for more or less important items. Whether it’s screen wipers or brakes?
Whether the defects were found and recalls made promptly. Whether the recall affected the first few hundred of a different spec vehicle or an entire run. Lots going on here I’d say.

All the info is on the website.
Doesn’t say quality…to me.

caledoniandream:

By that same standard then you as a Dutchman must be sad that DAF is American…

switchlogic:
By that same standard then you as a Dutchman must be sad that DAF is American…

I am as I am close to the DAF factory, several of my relatives are involved with Paccar and DAF.
I don’t think the Americans have brought anything good to DAF.

commonrail:

Most of these models on the list are not sold in the UK or even in Europe, I suspect that this is a list of the DOT in the USA.
They probably have their faults, but at least they believe on their products, and offer mayor warranties (5-8 years)

By the way I don’t have any links with Hyundai or don’t even own one, Ford man since childhood.