Greasy spoons and rats

Over the last few months I have had reason to park up in the layby at South Elmsall where Pearls Cafe is situated …On all of these occasions I have been there at night when the place is closed after dark. )Working not dogging) :laughing:

One of the things that worries is obviously hygene im sure you will agree that some of these places are a bit dubious and some are quite OK. and I am sure that in the daylight hours this place also seems OK.

Last night on my break I sat and counted 11 VERY large rats underneath the cafe on the steps and around the waste pipes eating all manor of waste food that has been left outside…so in an effort to stop a fellow trucker/s catching something nasty I am raising this for your information.

Now I do not know the owners or wish them any loss of business BUT what worries me also is that they maybe able to get into the hut as well where food is stored etc and once again pose a health threat to customers.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Living only up the road from this place I know it very well as I eat there regularly. I don’t know anywhere else in the country where you can get the equivalent of 2 breakfasts on one plate, with 3 slices of toast and a mug of tea or coffee for £3 !!

They’re always full of customers and it wouldn’t have been the first time I’ve had to queue just to get in the door! Never ever had any complaints about the quality of the food either and never suffered any after effects.

I think you will find “wild life” creeping about around any food establishment in the hours of darkness. As long as they’re on the outside and not the in then I don’t see what your issue is, other than to try and bring the place into disrepute.

If you’re not happy eating there then the sensible thing for you to do would be to eat elsewhere.

Rebel:
Living only up the road from this place I know it very well as I eat there regularly. I don’t know anywhere else in the country where you can get the equivalent of 2 breakfasts on one plate, with 3 slices of toast and a mug of tea or coffee for £3 !!

They’re always full of customers and it wouldn’t have been the first time I’ve had to queue just to get in the door! Never ever had any complaints about the quality of the food either and never suffered any after effects.

I think you will find “wild life” creeping about around any food establishment in the hours of darkness. As long as they’re on the outside and not the in then I don’t see what your issue is, other than to try and bring the place into disrepute.

If you’re not happy eating there then the sensible thing for you to do would be to eat elsewhere.

Try reading my post again and you will clearly see that I said i do not wish the place any malice.

It is just my observations and intended for information only just as your obvservation that two breakfasts on one plate is a good deal for 3 quid…choose to do with it what you like. ENJOY :laughing:

Yep your quite right I do choose not to eat in this place but trust me i aint no food and drink purist and can eat crap with the best of em and once again I reserve the right to flag up areas that I feel are relevant to members of this site,good bad or ugly…and on bringing the place into disrepute then if I wished to do that then the Enviromental health department would be my first point of call, not here.

By the way 3 quid two meals …makes you wonder how they do that and make money …no such thing as a free lunch or do I mean breakfast ?

Have a nice day :laughing:

I typed the same reply earlier but it is lost in the mists of cyber space.

There are rats, rabbits and foxes everywhere. any food establishment will have rats at night. any food factory will have rats. even expensive hotels and restaurants will have rats.

As long as the rat doesn’t jump on my table when Im eating a bacon butty. I dont care.

It seems as though this post is aimed at one establishment where anywhere could be named. The little boxes scattered around any factory are not to scare rats away, they are to kill them. My mate makes a fortune restocking them.

Wheel Nut:
I typed the same reply earlier but it is lost in the mists of cyber space.

There are rats, rabbits and foxes everywhere. any food establishment will have rats at night. any food factory will have rats. even expensive hotels and restaurants will have rats.

As long as the rat doesn’t jump on my table when Im eating a bacon butty. I dont care.

It seems as though this post is aimed at one establishment where anywhere could be named. The little boxes scattered around any factory are not to scare rats away, they are to kill them. My mate makes a fortune restocking them.

The post relates to this particular cafe because thats the one that I observed the rats at…and therefore could not comment on any other establishment due to the fact that would be guesswork and totally misleading to say so without having witnessed it.

Is it me or are people really struggling so badly to understand where I am coming from on this ? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Is it me or are people really struggling so badly to understand where I am coming from on this ?

Maybe you could rephrase the ever so bold headline.

It suggests that there is a problem with PEARLS CAFE (WARNING)

I read it as a warning about someone slashing trailers or gassing drivers while they slept.

Not some one who is scared of a rat ■■■■■■■ on him

Wheel Nut:

Is it me or are people really struggling so badly to understand where I am coming from on this ?

Maybe you could rephrase the ever so bold headline.

It suggests that there is a problem with PEARLS CAFE (WARNING)

I read it as a warning about someone slashing trailers or gassing drivers while they slept.

Not some one who is scared of a rat ■■■■■■■ on him

There you go wheelnut I will add a few pics next time so you don’t get too confused :laughing: Changed the title for you .

a bit of info too for you below.

" Although we are not currently at risk from a repeat of the black death, rats do carry risks of other diseases. These include:

Weil’s disease
Salmonella
Tuberculosis
Cryptosporidiosis
E.Coli
Foot and mouth disease

guess what you catch it from blood and urine (■■■■ TO YOU MATE)

for what its worth CODER i,m in total agreement with you here.
there used to be a burger van on the A690 just past houghton le spring.
it was a good place to eat.clean etc.

though one friday afternoon while eating in my cab there were loads of RATS in and around the bin and under the food van.

this was in daylight hours.

never ate there again and i think it has now gone aswell.

there is no room for error when hygiene is concerned (in my opinion)
and would not use such a place again.

i’m struggling to remember the official statistic on rats
wasn’t it no matter where you are you’re never more than 6 feet away from a rat
as long as there are no rats inside theres no problem

thecoder0:
Over the last few months I have had reason to park up in the layby at South Elmsall where Pearls Cafe is situated …On all of these occasions I have been there at night when the place is closed after dark. )Working not dogging) :laughing:

One of the things that worries is obviously hygene im sure you will agree that some of these places are a bit dubious and some are quite OK. and I am sure that in the daylight hours this place also seems OK.

Last night on my break I sat and counted 11 VERY large rats underneath the cafe on the steps and around the waste pipes eating all manor of waste food that has been left outside…so in an effort to stop a fellow trucker/s catching something nasty I am raising this for your information.

Now I do not know the owners or wish them any loss of business BUT what worries me also is that they maybe able to get into the hut as well where food is stored etc and once again pose a health threat to customers.

Having parked there myself (albeit a couple of years ago) I was told that Rats are the least of your problems if you overnight there. Apparantly it is quite common to wake up and find your diesel has been nicked or your curtains slashed.

I was “advised” that it is much more secure to park on the industrial estate near netto’s. at least you have plenty of activity to deter the pickeys and if you’re lucky you might even be within the view of one of the cameras.

My point about the Sunsational headline was that the cafe owner had no right to reply. As others have agreed, any food establishment will have rats running around at night. I have delivered into most of the well known ones for 30 years and seen rats running along my delivery hoses

If you post a big bold warning about J26 Cafe on the M25 having rats running around. I am fairly certain that Dave Cordell would soon be here to refute it or explain the problem.

I appreciate your lesson and agree that rats can spread disease like you said. But so can government research, the result is the same. Foot and Mouth Disease.

I would prefer to eat in a permanent cafe with running water than a grease stained mobile burger van with the nearest toilet facilities behind the privet hedge.

Wheel Nut:
I would prefer to eat in a permanent cafe with running water than a grease stained mobile burger van with the nearest toilet facilities behind the privet hedge.

Wouldn’t we all. Pity is the rats don’t know the difference! :wink:

I’ve seen rats around at many MSA’s, even the cleanest ones. Problem’s often not just the eaterie itself, but the lazy so-and-so’s who just chuck the remains of their Big Mac or bacon butty into the hedge rather than dispose of it properly.

Even with litter-pickers on patrol there’ll be plenty left for the vermin.

BTW, if you do want to observe rats at close quarters, have a trip out with me to a few of the dairy farms I deliver to. Most farmers do their best to control them, but there are one or two who are too mean and lazy to even employ the services of a decent tom-cat, with the inevitable results.

biggusdickusgb:
wasn’t it no matter where you are you’re never more than 6 feet away from a rat
as long as there are no rats inside theres no problem

and they take on human form so it maybe closer than 6 feet at times :smiley:

i dont see a problem as long as the rats are not on the food.
supermarket food is carried in roll cages and the empty cages are left outside so rats have access to them. the cages are,nt washed .
rubbish attracts rats. and as for rats pee i bet there,s more human pee in these laybys.

I pulled into Cherwell Valley services on the M40 for a 45 a couple of weeks ago. It was about 1pm and pretty busy - I watched the rats dodge in and out of the undergrowth whenever something was coming.
They don’t see us humans as a threat any more - we are a food source to them, so they just nip out of the way til we’ve gone.

For me, point is everyones got a point. :confused:

biggusdickusgb:

:laughing: That’s easy biggus, the answer is six. There’s rat cake, rat sorbet and rat pudding :grimacing: That’s three.
Then there were three more in the strawberry tart (rather a lot really :laughing: )

I wonder whether Denis F and MM will show up now :wink:

dieseldave:
[

I wonder whether Denis F and MM will show up now :wink:

no busy, still on the unjugged rabbit fish :wink:

Denis F:

Is it dead :question:
:laughing: Watch out if you go upstairs, cos there’s a dead Bishop on the landing :wink:

dieseldave:

Denis F:

Is it dead :question:
:laughing: Watch out if you go upstairs, cos there’s a dead Bishop on the landing :wink:

Where’s it from?
What’s its diocese? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: