Grabbed it with both hands

corij:
have a go in the coffin bed and update us. i notice the National Express buses have a tiny window to let light into that bed area its near the engine how could anyone sleep ■■

I will take a look next week and see, I get clostrophobic in tight spots so prbably wont be for me.

My thoughts (as a non people loving person )

a load of boxed beef sits quietly in a fridge not wanting to stop at every hole in the hedge for a cup of tea and a ■■■■

as others have said you become the person to sort other peoples problems out

the wrong passenger on a trip can make it seem like a prison for whatever lenghth of time they are there

I wish you luck - I really do but its not a job I’d do .

beefy4605:

a load of boxed beef sits quietly in a fridge not wanting to stop at every hole in the hedge for a cup of tea and a ■■■■

the wrong passenger on a trip can make it seem like a prison for whatever lenghth of time they are there

Fair points mate, as stated I may end up with the same opinion once I try it next week but so far I have only had an induction and assesment drive, picked up my uiform spoke to a few other drivers and on a positive slant nobody has told me anything to put me off yet. I am going into this with my eyes open and an open mind.

Yorkshire Tramper:

beefy4605:

Fair points mate, as stated I may end up with the same opinion once I try it next week but so far I have only had an induction and assesment drive, picked up my uiform spoke to a few other drivers and on a positive slant nobody has told me anything to put me off yet. I am going into this with my eyes open and an open mind.

Defo the right approach. Just as my comments earlier suggest I wouldbt do it again equally I know people who have happily done it for years.

If I was to go back bussing I’d probs look into bands/events primarily because it’s something I’ve not done, but I reckon the whole being away for weeks at a time has passed me by now and I dint think I could even bear a single night out nowadays. Cheers pandemic :laughing:

toonsy:
Defo the right approach. Just as my comments earlier suggest I wouldbt do it again equally I know people who have happily done it for years.

If I was to go back bussing I’d probs look into bands/events primarily because it’s something I’ve not done, but I reckon the whole being away for weeks at a time has passed me by now and I dint think I could even bear a single night out nowadays. Cheers pandemic :laughing:

Well just had call from company, all changed for next week, I going to Scotland for 5 days Mon - Friday, sent me the info pack, hotel looks great got good reviews and taking passengers out on daily tours. going with an experienced driver but will be doing most of driving mkyself which suits me. Coach is equally as good as the other one I was taking so no complaints from me. Its just a case of ■■■■ it and see. Thanks for input.

I know full well I’d hate it, but then I don’t like people, I don’t discriminate I just dislike everybody equally. If you think you fancy it then go for it , ultimately only one way to find out if its for you or not.

As long as you have a good bunch on board I’d say you’ll enjoy it. Looking forward to the post tour update :sunglasses:

When you get north of the Central belt in Scotland remember to put your watch back 60 years. Life is a lot slower up here. Look out for the haggis as they start their mating rituals at about this time.

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
As long as you have a good bunch on board I’d say you’ll enjoy it. Looking forward to the post tour update :sunglasses:

Will pop it on here to let you know how it all went. Hopefully I will love it.

Just bumped into an old bus colleague who went to hgv for 6 months and is now doing coach tour’s with Angela coaches. He loves it, says a totally different kind of passenger. The downside is the posh tramping and the random days off midweek (just like the buses).

My Itinery for next week is as follows.
Monday, pick up passengers along the way, last load in Sunderland then drive to Hotel in Strathpeffer.
Tuesday, take passengers from hotel and drop off in Inverness, allowing 2 hrs walkabout, then onto loch Ness for a boat ride. back to hotel for eve.
Wednesday. pick up a guide in Dingwall and off to Fortrose, then on to Cromarty for an 1hr and half, back to hotel to let guests spend the rest of the day in Strathpeffer.
Thursday Day off.
Friday after breakfast set off home.
Now to me this all sounds idealic for a driving job, no pressure, no stress and very relaxing, with time to explore the areas myself. I am struggling to see how this is going to be horrible. Read the reviews of the hotel I am staying at and nothing but good reviews so win win in my opinion.

Yorkshire Tramper:

toonsy:

Well just had call from company, all changed for next week, I going to Scotland for 5 days Mon - Friday, sent me the info pack, hotel looks great got good reviews and taking passengers out on daily tours. going with an experienced driver but will be doing most of driving mkyself which suits me. Coach is equally as good as the other one I was taking so no complaints from me. Its just a case of ■■■■ it and see. Thanks for input.

But not the choccy almonds :slight_smile: Bonne route.

Look those places up on Wikipedia other search engines are available.! Let your people know that the Beatles played Strathpeffer before they went to Germany and hit the big time. I think that you should enjoy that tour.

alamcculloch:
Look those places up on Wikipedia other search engines are available.! Let your people know that the Beatles played Strathpeffer before they went to Germany and hit the big time. I think that you should enjoy that tour.

Thanks for that, thats a very interesting fact that I didnt know about and will be sure to mention it to the passengers. I love hearing little facts like that and I would have been totally oblivious to it unless you mentioned it.

Yorkshire Tramper:
Monday, pick up passengers along the way, last load in Sunderland then drive to Hotel in Strathpeffer.
Tuesday, take passengers from hotel and drop off in Inverness, allowing 2 hrs walkabout, then onto loch Ness for a boat ride. back to hotel for eve.
Wednesday. pick up a guide in Dingwall and off to Fortrose, then on to Cromarty for an 1hr and half, back to hotel to let guests spend the rest of the day in Strathpeffer.
Thursday Day off.
Now to me this all sounds idealic for a driving job, no pressure, no stress and very relaxing, with time to explore the areas myself. I am struggling to see how this is going to be horrible. Read the reviews of the hotel I am staying at and nothing but good reviews so win win in my opinion.

It does sound like going on holiday, just with you having to do the driving, but no matter because I’m sure the punters don’t want to spend too long in the coach. [emoji106]

stu675:

Yorkshire Tramper:
Thursday Day off.

It does sound like going on holiday, just with you having to do the driving, but no matter because I’m sure the punters don’t want to spend too long in the coach. [emoji106]

Not forgetting that the longest drives are getting there and returning home, there are two of us splitting the driving between us with comfort breaks every two hours, probably drive 2 hrs then break, then two hours, break and swap over. He then has Tuesday and Wednesday off so I will take these tours out on my own, each day has no more than 1 hr driving to destinations then I have all Thursday off. It works out that way as he needs a two day break to rest for his driving hours as he is up to his max fortnightly limit. Just seems great as we get 10 hrs pay per day on break when away on tours. Free time to explore the areas ourselves and do as we wish.

It seems the Beatles did not actually perform in Strathpeffer, but Wikipedia says that Deacon Blue and the Kaiser Chiefs have done so.

ross-shirejournal.co.uk/new … on-104166/

cav551:
It seems the Beatles did not actually perform in Strathpeffer, but Wikipedia says that Deacon Blue and the Kaiser Chiefs have done so.

ross-shirejournal.co.uk/new … on-104166/

Looks like a local guide will know all about this, oddly enough I am picking one up in Dingwall on Wednesday who I am sure will be able to fill in these details. Still a fascinating story as I have never even heard of Dingwall or Strathpeffer before this. This is another part of the job that is interesting to me, doing research on these places I visit as we do have to talk to the guests over the audio system. This is just an example of one of those interesting stories to relay accross. I like history and architecture so to me this another plus side that some drivers may find uninteresting. Thanks for this info.

Stop it, your selling it to me now. I could have got a job immediately with Princess coaches, or Angela coaches but have chosen the hgv route.

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
Stop it, your selling it to me now. I could have got a job immediately with Princess coaches, or Angela coaches but have chosen the hgv route.

If HGV driving is your preference then who is to say you should not do it. I have driven HGV for too many years now to know that I am in need of a change. This seems a good change for me and I am going to give it a go like you are with HGV. We both have the options to revert back if either of us wish to do so. My personal opinion is HGV driving is hard work and long hours and quite a hard life in some areas of the Industry, this is a refreshing change for me and I am hoping to swap my hard life for a more enjoyable experience.